BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Overheated ???

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Boosejaw 
#1 ·
Washed and waxed the car and was ready for a nice weekend with a clean car. Started up the car after getting a bite of lunch and hot air came out of the a/c. I thought, well it's 98 degrees out so maybe it'll take a minute to cool down, nope, red warning light saying overheated came on and it said to stop the car . Called BMW assistance and they towed the car to the dealership after my waiting in the 98 degrees an hour for the tow truck.
Service rep didn't know what it was, said water pumps go out regularly on 5's but wasn't common on 7's, so I guess it'll be in the shop at least through Monday:eek:

This happen to anyone else? Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 ·
could be a simple water resevior thats been leaking and you havnt noticed until its all gone

could be even worse

i would have put water in the system first

for some reason i dislike taking my car to the dealer due to incorrect information bieng thrown to me before stating that i work on cars for a living

i look at service advisors the same way i look at insurance adjusters

always trying to cut corners and talking their way out of things

#9 ·
i would have put water in the system first

for some reason i dislike taking my car to the dealer due to incorrect information bieng thrown to me before stating that i work on cars for a living

i look at service advisors the same way i look at insurance adjusters

always trying to cut corners and talking their way out of things
Never ever put water in the system for any reason.
If you are forced to...... use distilled water. I always keep a gallon of premixed OEM coolant in all my cars whether its the Toyota or the AMG. Water crystallizes and forms calcium deposits which can gum up your coolant passages causing your car to run hotter/overheat. To be safe always flush your coolant every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.