BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

spare tire vs. puncture repair can

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Kilgore Trout 
#1 ·
i don't like to put a spare tire at the trunk...not even a donut. however, since i've changed to non-run-flat tires, i need to do something about, well, not having a spare tire.

anybody using the tire repair cans that can plug as well as inflate? it's about $10/can only.

#4 · (Edited)
I'd go with one of the mobility kits (either the Conti or the BMW one) if I was planning on using a sealant system. They both say they're not going to foul TPMS sensors, and they offer more inflation capability with the included compressors than you can get out of a can.

The obvious issue with a patch kit is that you need to be able to find and then pull whatever caused the puncture, which in bad weather or at night can be a flaming PITA.

The hole in both techniques is that neither will do you much good with a slash (instead of puncture) or with sidewall damage.

FWIW,
George

Edit: For the record, I use RFTs in the summer, GFTs in the winter, and carry a spare all the time,

#5 ·
Blow out through the sidewall in a pothole and you will be calling a tow truck if you don't have a spare, end of story. I carry a spare for that very reason. I have had that exact thing happen to me and was very happy all I had to do was put on the donut and was back on the road 10 minutes later. You are going to spend tons of time trying to plug a tire, assuming it will actually hold which is iffy at best imho, and the mobility kits will only help if it is a small puncture.

#8 ·
This may have changed, but I bought a "Slime" kit a few years back. I eventually stopped carrying it in the car because it requires that the core of the valve be removed in order to be used.

#10 ·
Yes it does require the removal of the valve core. This is done with the aid of a tool that comes with the kit. Essentially you screw it out, apply the slime fiber stuff, then screw the valve core back in. Afterward, you pump up the tire with the compressor.

#12 ·
OK, I'm probably the irresponsible one, but I just changed out of my runflats, and only have a fixaflat can in my car. I have triple A, and Discount Tires near both home and work. A tow to me is better than carrying around a spare, although I may seriously regret those words if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

#17 ·
Frankly, it's this sort of hassle that keeps me running the RFTs. I'm not going to try the go flats. I might like them too much to give them up.

#20 ·
CA, I don't get it. What's so special about not removing the valve core?
I'm not being testy; I'm just wondering if you all know something I don't about this (I never tried or had to remove a valve core).

#21 · (Edited)
Removing the valve core is very simple but if you drop it or misplace it you are up sh1t's creek without a paddle. Keep in mind that if you are in a situation where you need to seal and inflate a tire you are probably going to be at the side of a road, and it may be dark.

Also from what I have heard from tire repair people fix-a-flat slime can be hard to remove from inside a tire and the Conti slime can easily be peeled off. This is strctly hearsay. Perhaps someone here that owns a shop that changes tires will chime in.

DSX, are you listening?

CA

#22 ·
I've heard that the "slime" from, well, Slime, does peel off easily (it was specifically on their site's FAQ as well).
All in all, it looks to be a good product for a very attractive price. And I wouldn't be too surprised if the Conti slime was made by Slime.
Let me google it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.