BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hot engine (2007 335i)

9K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  MRU 
#1 ·
To BMW veterans, this may be a dumb question. My engine gets roaring hot after driving (yes, I put it through the ringer sometimes but even after normal driving it's hot too). Is this normal for the 335i engine or should I inspect potential problems?

#2 ·
What temp is indicated on the oil temp gauge? Also, do you have the sports package (includes oil cooler)?

#6 ·
The oil temp gauge is staying at mid-way or just above. It does have the sport package. I did research on the forums and found similar posts. I'm coming to the conclusion that the temp is normal and needs a cool down period if I drive hard. I've popped the hood a couple times and man the temp is up there.

#7 ·
For what it's worth, normal driving conditions keep my oil temp at about 220-230F on the cluster gauge. If I'm pushing it on a hot day, I've seen it climb to 240F but never any higher than that. Ref 2007 w/o OEM oil cooler.

#8 ·
this also depends on the production date of the car. pre 3/07 builds had a different oil gauge that had normal operating range past middle. IIRC the older cars had a 260F gauge vs the 300F gauge in later builds.

#15 ·
300F is where the DME starts to cut boost to reduce temps
340 is where the engine will go into full limp mode

#14 ·
The 07 335i coupe sport pkg has a range of 160-250-340.

Did all the 07 335 sport pkg coupes come with an oil cooler? I wasn't aware of that..

#17 ·
The 07 335i coupe sport pkg has a range of 160-250-340.

Did all the 07 335 sport pkg coupes come with an oil cooler? I wasn't aware of that..
You have a newer build 07. Those of us with older build 07s have oil temp gauge of 120 - 210 - 300. 220-240 is pretty normal for me but BMW has said 300 won't cause damage on the N54(for what that is worth).

Early build 07s with sport package and auto did NOT get the cooler, manuals did. At some point BMW saw the err of their ways and started putting coolers in the step-sport cars and a few lucky owners did get a retro-fit. This is discussed extensively on this board so do a search if you want more info...

#19 ·
You could cook an egg on the hood in June/July/August when I park in the garage. Never seen over 250F on a gauge. If I'm staying in the garage when I just parked it, you can feel temperature rise in already hot garage.

Actually I was hoping I could use it as a garage heater for winter, but no cigar. In the winter, the hood gets just about lukewarm and the gauge is still at about 230-240F. Bummer.

#21 ·
FWIW, I read that the aux oil cooler kicks in at oil temps above 240F, which matches my experience of the oil gauge rapidly moving back toward 240F the few times it's climbed above that (all on the track). Max I've seen is ~280.

That seems to indicate to me that BMW only starts getting nervous about N54 (& N55?) oil temps at ~250 and above. Perhaps slippery logic, but I'm happy with it :)

#22 ·
FWIW, I read that the aux oil cooler kicks in at oil temps above 240F, which matches my experience of the oil gauge rapidly moving back toward 240F the few times it's climbed above that (all on the track). Max I've seen is ~280.

That seems to indicate to me that BMW only starts getting nervous about N54 (& N55?) oil temps at ~250 and above. Perhaps slippery logic, but I'm happy with it :)

#23 ·
I added the aux cooler to mine ride because I think better safe than sorry. I see temps at 240F all the time except summer where I will see 250 260F. All normal for this car. One thing is for sure if you change oil in the summer let that oil cool down as it is well above 220F which will scald you bad.

I agree it seems like the hood is cooking compared to my other BMWs.

My car is a 3/2007 build with the 160- 250-340 gage...

#25 ·
yes, the engine is designed to run at about 240F for the best efficiency. thats why the thermostat on the aux oil cooler doesnt open till that temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.