BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car Wont Start

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SlipGear 
#1 ·
Got out of work on friday after a long day and tried starting my '07 328i...

The steering wheel is locked and shows a steering lock sign on dash.

All electronics come online even tried jumping it to make sure it was not the battery!

Seems as if the steering being locked is causing the car to not turn on!

The biggest debacle is I'm located appx 55miles from the nearest dealership and just the cost of towing it there is going to cost me an arm!

Would anyone know of an easy fix or maybe even a local mechanic or electrition can fix?

Thank You

#2 ·
Have you tried turning the steering wheel just a little. Sometimes it's pressing against the lock mechanism hard enough to keep it from unlocking.

The same thing happens in cars with regular keys, the key won't turn because the steering wheel lock mechanism is pressing to hard.

Just move the steering wheel about 1/8 inch in which ever direction it will turn. Then, while holding the steering wheel (it will resist), try starting the car.

#3 ·
If you are still under warranty, BMW's roadside assistance will tow it for you. Otherwise you are pretty much hosed. If that steering column lock indicator is red, the car thinks you can't turn the wheel because the electronic steering wheel column lock has malfunctioned. I have had mine replaced 2x on my 07 335i. I was lucky enough that the icon was yellow and the car was able to start/drive with no issues so I could get it to the dealer. The first time they just did a software update, the second they replaced the whole steering column. I feel for ya, that is not a cheap repair if you are out of warranty. You could try an indy shop if it is closer. G/L!

#4 ·
Sorry to be off topic, but I have an '06 325i and
I know there is newer software for the non-iDrive cars (noticed that you can customize additional stuff, such as which doors to unlock through the fob). Do you know if it is offered on older cars (such as mine)?:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.