BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Are the auto transmission for the 6 cylinders that bad?

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  rosst 
#1 ·
Are the auto transmissions for the 528i (made by GM) really that bad? It appears from the various forums that these transmissions die at between 100K to 130K. Are there any examples of these cars with original trannies hitting 200k miles? Any one out there? Or is this a case where BMW owners being more passionate about their cars and are voicing their displeasure.

I am thinking of buying a 1999 528i with 140K and after reading the forums I am worried. except for the tranny the engine (change water pump) seems bulletproof.

Also since this is a GM tranny (used in Cadillacs at one time) would we be able to buy a rebuilt one for a reasonable price.

SO any examples out there of 528i doing over 200K with the same tranny.

#2 ·
The problem arises from the fact that for a long time, BMWNA touted these cars as having "lifetime fluids", which, as anyone with half a brain knows, is a *totally* lamebrain idea. The upshot is, most autos have *never* had a fluid change....add this to the fact that the trannies used are not the most durable under the best of circumstances, and it`s not a pretty story. If you search around for the "no reverse" syndrome, you`ll probably find some interesting info.
And no, I doubt that you`re gonna find ANY "reasonably-priced" rebuilt autos.

#3 ·
Why does everyone think these transmissions die at between 100 an 150k miles? There are numerous examples on these and other forums of double the miles.

I personally have a 2000 528i with the GM Tranny. I have 230k miles on it, original tranny. I changed the fluid for the 1st time at 221k miles.

FWIW it seems that the "no reverse" problems are on mostly on the 530i.

#5 ·
I'm just ovet that mileage 132,300. So far swooth gear changes.

#6 · (Edited)
There is no short answer to your question (except the part about changing the fluid, I have attached the procedure for you. Make sure you use the proper fluid.)

With proper care, the transmission will last. With neglect, it probably won't last as long. But that's true for any transmission. There are no guarantees in life, or with the E39. If the fluid has never been changed, at that mileage the transmission MAY last, or it may not. Personally I don't think you will hurt the car with a drain and fill. I would not do a flush.

If I had it to do again, I would have bought a MT, but I could not find one with the mileage I wanted at the time (2003). It's still the best sedan ever, regardless of the transmission.

Attachments

#9 ·
I don't know how true it is, but had been told by many people that always have the car comes to a completed stop before switch from R to D or vice versa, and this will extend the life of the AT.

#11 · (Edited)
Like Fast Bob said, no trans likes to go 100k on the same fluid. Change your fluid every 50k on average. The GM is a better built transmission apposed to the ZF when they are neglected.

We sell 2-3 ZF's for every GM...;)

BMWNA does not allow GM or ZF to supply key internal parts for rebuilding. So if you find a place to rebuild it they are not replacing the most important parts = it will last a year if you're lucky.

New or used is the best option.

GM transmissions are not too bad. It's the ZF that does not like to go 150K on the same fluid

#12 ·
Like Fast Bob said, no trans likes to go 100k on the same fluid. Change your fluid every 50k on average. The GM is a better built transmission apposed to the ZF when they are neglected.

We sell 2-3 ZF's for every GM...;)

BMWNA does not allow GM or ZF to supply key internal parts for rebuilding. So if you find a place to rebuild it they are not replacing the most important parts = it will last a year if you're lucky.

New or used is the best option.

GM transmissions are not too bad. It's the ZF that does not like to go 150K on the same fluid

Hi Joe. Can you elaborate, which are these key parts?

Thanks

#16 ·
I have a 318i that went 181K before the tranny died. Best price I got for a rebuild was $2800. Given that the book value on the car is less than this, it makes for some tough decisions. I found a used one for $400 and replaced it but now can't get it out of fail safe mode. I have learned my lesson and will never go near another one of these automatic trannys.

#17 · (Edited)
I have 182K on my 1998 528 (GM 4 speed). The only problem I have had is that on occasion it would bang into 2nd when cold for the first shift. After changing filter and fluid at around 130K (drain, change filter, fill, drive about 1000mi., then drain and fill twice more) it shifts more smoothly and almost never bangs when cold. Planning another drain/fill, drain/fill soon. The drain/fill only takes slightly over 2qts.

#22 ·
My GM tranny went at 102K after changing the fluid for the first time at 93K. I had it rebuilt for a bit over $3000.00 with a two year warranty. It has been running perfectly now for a year and a half.

However, my son has a 99 Pontiac with near as we can tell the same transmission. He has serviced it regularly like any sane person would, unlike BMWs recommendations, and it works perfectly at 280K.

#23 ·
I bought a 1997 528 with 180K on it from a friend. It had been driven mostly on the highway and at 200,2xx miles, the transmission failed. Found a great shop that specializes in this model and rebuilt it for $2880. The mechanic told me that these rarely last over 150K, and was impressed by its longevity. A local BMW independent shope quoted me something closer to $4000 for the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.