BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What coding should I do?

6K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Joe-BMW 
#1 ·
I have someone that is going to code my car for me in a few weeks. I have a very long list of things I can do, but wanted to reach out to you folks for a must do list of things in addition to ASS.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 ·
Absolutely Necessary:
1. Doors unlock automatically when you turn off the engine.
2. Windows and sunroof close from remote. Can also code to close via ridges on door handles which is fantastic.
3. Trunk close from remote button and interior button.
4. Auto high beams always activated.
5. Turn off that annoying 90 seconds of dinging when a seatbelt is not fastened.
6. Turn off the warning on your GPS screen when you start the car
7. turn off the warning on your rearview camera screen that kind of blocks your view.
8. Tires show temp and psi under vehicle status.

Other things you can do that you might find useful:
1. Turn off ebrake up and speed lockout for DVD video (don't watch movies when driving, it never ends well!)
2. Opening doors will not interrupt auto window up.
3. Highbeams and fog lights can be on at the same time.
4. Sideview cameras can be activated and left on at any speed.
5. You are in a 535 so you can turn on the torque meter for your video screen. (Badass, but I can't do it on my 550!)

#3 ·
Great list - I just added a few to mine. Some that were on mine but not here.

Turn signal from 3 time to 5 times
Fold mirrors automatically and from keyfog.
Additional details on Hud

#8 ·
Thanks so far! I will probably print this thread out and give it to him. Question: is Auto High Beam and option? I don't think I have it.

#9 ·
That's why I chimed in. Its going to help me remember everything I wanted and some stuff you pointed out... LOL

#12 ·
Keep in mind tire pressures do not work for all cars. Also, enabling the trunk close via remote disabled my interior trunk button....which was honestly worse than not being able to close from the remote. Shawn indicated he never saw tht before.

#35 ·
Needs, were you able to get your interior trunk button working again? I agree, this would be worst than not being able to close from remote.

Joe, did this happen to you? Great list, btw.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

#21 ·
Your dealer will disable A.S.S. for you but the other tweaks are done by individuals with a laptop and know-how. The changes are not officially sanctioned by BMW, so the dealer isn't authorized to do them.

You could see if anyone is coding in your area or head over to the coding section to see if it is something you would like to do yourself.

Sean

#25 · (Edited)
Okay, looks like my coding is going to get done the first or second week in January. This is my list:

- disabling Auto Stop Start (where it remembers last setting)
- Additional details on Hud
- Doors unlock automatically when you turn off the engine
- Windows and sunroof close from remote
- close via ridges on door handles
- Trunk close from remote button and interior button
- Auto high beams always activated
- Opening doors will not interrupt auto window up
- High beams and fog lights can be on at the same time
- turn on the torque meter for your video screen
- Turn signal from 3 time to 5 times
- Fold mirrors automatically and from key fob.
- Transfer iPhone ringtones to car

Any "must do's" that I am missing?? (Disclaimer delete and DVD-in-motion already coded)

#28 ·
If you get "Turn signal from 3 time to 5 times", I'll be surprised.

#26 ·
A must have for me would be the temp/pressure for the tires.

#29 ·
Had my car coded today. Everything went very smooth. The only things that could not be done were the 3 to 5 time blinker lane change. He tried and I am now left with no automatic 3 time blinker flash from a pull on the stalk. He mentioned I may be able to enable this through iDrive. Will look around on the way home. Automatic high beams didn't work because I don't have this option.

Lastly, we did the torque meter thing but I can't seem to find where this will show up?? Anyone know anything about this?

No more ASS!

#31 ·
Had my car coded today. Everything went very smooth. The only things that could not be done were the 3 to 5 time blinker lane change. He tried and I am now left with no automatic 3 time blinker flash from a pull on the stalk. He mentioned I may be able to enable this through iDrive. Will look around on the way home. Automatic high beams didn't work because I don't have this option.

Lastly, we did the torque meter thing but I can't seem to find where this will show up?? Anyone know anything about this?

No more ASS!
iDrive => Vehicle Info => Sport Displays

#30 ·
How does someone go about finding someone locally that does coding?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#32 ·
Open New Thread with "Need Help Coding in Westchester County, NY" title.

#33 ·
My guy does New York I believe. PM if you are interested in contacting him.

#36 ·
We specifically tested the trunk close button on the interior of the trunk. The coder was aware of some people having issues. Happy to say my trunk close button worked fine after coding. I found the blink three times under lights. It must have been set to off as a result of him trying to find the 3 to 5 string. I also found the HP/Torque meters (thanks Shawn!). The only thing we forgot to test ironically is the only thing that didn't work - the unlock all doors when engine is shut off. No biggie, I don't really ever lock my doors unless I am in a bad area of Boston. I looked under locks to see if there was a new menu item for this and found nothing.

#37 ·
...The only thing we forgot to test ironically is the only thing that didn't work - the unlock all doors when engine is shut off. No biggie, I don't really ever lock my doors unless I am in a bad area of Boston. I looked under locks to see if there was a new menu item for this and found nothing.
This requires that under iDrive "Settings" => "Door Locks", both the "Unlock button" be set to either "Driver's Door" or "All Doors" and the "Lock after starting to drive" checkbox be checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.