BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need advice on used from non-BMW dealer

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Zoomie94 
#1 ·
Can anyone reco best methods to get a used 335 checked when it is out of state?

I found a listing that is lower priced than it should be so I have reservations about it.

Can the BMW dealer send over a merchanic to check it out if I pay them?

Also, is CarFax the best approach to getting an overview of the car's history?

Thanks all.

*** NOTE: I DID do a search on these likely basic questions and found nothing; so no haters please.

#4 ·
Often times the dealer will allow you to have it checked out by the BMW dealer in the area. You will have to arrange to get the car over to the dealership.
Is the selling dealer an independent or Dealer for another brand? Most New Car Dealers won't sell a car on the used lot that has problems.

#7 ·
If you have concerns about the car, have it checked by an independant and don't rely solely on the CarFax. I bought a BMW from a dealer a few years ago. CarFax was clean. Then when I went to sell the car a couple months ago, I found that the CarFax had been updated with an accident that occured several months before I bought it. I suspect the dealership did the repair and held back the Carfax update 'till after the sale but no way of telling for sure. Knowing how long the dealer has had the car on the lot might be useful information too.

#8 ·
CarFax is a joke as there is NO requirement for a body shop to report a repair. I highly doubt a BMW dealer will "send over a mechanic" to evaluate a car from another dealer, especially an independent. Your best bet is to get a PPI from a local independent mechanic who specializes in BMW's. Check your local forum to find recommendations for shops. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.