Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Well, show was great a few weekends back. I should have expected though that my car would be shunned a bit, it was more of a ricer orientated meet anyways, and to them my car could just be a stock BMW wagon stanced out.
Had one joker asking why you would do a gay reverse opening bonnet mod to a BMW, and then tell me that the engine in it is **** and it should be replaced with an RB25DETT. well, he didnt know the bonnet was stock, and i wasn't going to tell him what was in the engine bay.
And then some other flatpeak and his mates rolled in (probably drunk) in a beaten up old Holden VL Commodore and started doing skids and crap in the middle of a meet in the middle of the day. people started throwing bottles and stuff at them for wrecking it, but i saw what was coming and got out straight away. Some people just feel the need to ruin other peoples fun.

But because the car was all gorgeoused up, including freshly repainted front kit, i took it to another spot and took some photos. its not every day she gets a 5 hour polish and love and attention. Usually im swearing at her for doing silly things.

But then i see this thing in real life and fall in love all over again.

so thats all the photos i got though. i decided i would treat her and myself to a nice long cruise.

and then this weekend just gone, I decided we would get back out on the road again, and travel back to Auckland. But the tyres on the back were had it so i fitted a pair of Bridgestone RE001 Potenzas on the back, 255/45R17 from memory. yes quite wide for an E34!
and then in Auckland a friend of mine helped to sort the electrical stuff out, the wipers were sorted out as was the temp gauge, both things that were working originally, but had loose connections during the build and had to be fixed. And also installed an OBC and got the interior heater and things going. So, theoretically, shouldnt have any more wiring issues with this car, and is almost 100% a fully operational tidy conversion.

only things i have left to do now is:
- to hook up the rear glass window so it can open independently to the tailgate,
- a new head unit,
- i need to run the wire for the central locking for the fuel flap.
- refit the glovebox and hinge now there is no more wiring under there to play with
- and of course, a few other things i dont NEED like i want some work on the exhaust etc

I have decided to take the foglights out as you can see in the pictures, as becasue the intakes are so cramped in behind the headlights, im going to do a bit of an intake project at some stage and make it breath better. the pickup will be the fog light holes.

sigh, the never ending love affair. good job I'm single right now

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 AM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
Looks stunnin' mate!!

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM

so i had the car up to have a look at the exhaust while it was in for its Warrent of Fitness (similar to MOT for our UK friends). noticed the left front thrust arm bushing had a lot of play in it. compared to the otherside and then noticed hey wait a minute! the bushings are different colours!
When the front suspension was going in, the right arm was upgraded to the 540i arm, but the left one was still the 520i arm. Well the arms are the same, but the bushing in them are a different grade.
so, had to pull that arm out. and what a process it is too, those that have done it will know. ended up dropping the sway bar to get access. and then decided, you know what, ill just replace the whole lot. Ordered arms bushings etc from Pelican which im half way through installing.
Day light savings has ended here now, so im getting home from work, manage to spend a few hours on the car, and then its dark. so its a long slow process putting the suspension back together!

Also have some engine gaskets to replace, the sump is weeping both upper and lower. I SHOULD have replaced them while doing the conversion, but i didnt, thinking the engine is low milage. i REALLY regret not doing it now. of course, the lower one is a piece of cake to do, and thats the one thats weeping badly. the upper gasket isn't so bad, but to replace that, the transmission has to come out. cant be bothered with that at the moment.

and as for the interior, haven't fitted glovebox hinges yet. not driving the car at the moment, and I'm waiting for a new bezel for the radio. have had to end up using a LHD bezel (in a RHD car) due to the stereo hitting the 750iL heater box behind. I havent received it yet, but it should be better. that way, can move the OBC to the RHS of the stereo (like is in your cars) and have the stereo further away. not ideal, but a darn site better than no stereo.
A BIG thanks to Costa here for sending the bezel out to me

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 AM

So bit of an update

looks like i didnt update this thread after i finished rebuilding the front end. is all 750iL bushings up front now, handles much better so thats good

Then i swapped my Tech 2 steering wheel for this Nardi unit with a friend, its much nicer to drive with. Want an AC Schnitzer wheel for it at some stage, i do know of a few of them so will commit to that at some stage.

and then i decided i had to finish the rest of the interior

last week i decided to finally come up with a solution to install a stereo head unit into the E34. has the much bigger 750iL heater box which mean there was not enough room for the stereo to slide all the way back.
Imported a LHD center panel and fitted that to the RHD console, relocating the OBC to the RHS of the stereo. looked like it would work but still no go, stereo would go a lot further back, but still not quite clear the heater box, but hanging out 1" or so rather than 3" so thats good, but not good enough. decided what i need to do is buy a head unit that has no CD reader in it, but for the mean time have put the RHD panel (like normal) back into the car, and removed one of the electronic actuators for the heater box. lucky these little motors dont have little hidden anchors etc. this allowed stereo to slide all the way home. Yay! Now have the disadvantage that no air comes out the little vent on the drivers door or by the front right tweeter, but good enough for now. Then i was able to put all the rest of the interior back in the car and it finally looks presentable nice having a glovebox not just a gaping footwell on the passengers side!

will take a pic of interior now at some stage.

and then these are a few recent photos of the car alongside a E31 850Ci, pretty crap photos but you get the idea. car hasn't been cleaned for ages i apologies. I brought the ETHRTY registration plates on this car originally for my E30, they dont really suit the car, but they are the legal plates for it untill i buy some different ones. Its either that or the AC Schnitzer wheel will be the next big ticket items

looking good on inside, decided i was sick of looking at 6 months of crap on it including from two trips to auckland and back, yes been very lazy with the car. decided to clean it.

taking it to Taupo this weekend so that should be good, have brought another E34 to add to the pile. starting to look like a BMW graveyard at home at the moment

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 06-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 AM

Okay Time for an update i think! Skip ahead to the ## signs if you want to get straight to the car stuff

So I apoligise for the lack of updates on this car recently! At the end of June 2013, not long after my last update, i decided that i would sell my house for something a bit bigger. I listed it up, and by mid July it was sold, end of July it was no longer my property.

Moved into a small property that i was renting in an area that wasnt really where i wanted to be, and that had no offstreet parking. Having this wagon, the E30 Convertible that i purchased, and a few other BMWs prooved all too tempting for the riff raff in the area, and this car was targeted. smashed the passengers window, rooted through the glovebox, but luckily no other damage. They only stole the windscreen bracket for my Valentine One. Assholes.

So I decided, bugger it, and organised some storage. Quite a few family members have either a spare garage or at least a spot on the driveway where i could leave some cars, and also left two down at work (its locked up at night). So i didnt really see any of my cars, except i took the E30 Vert out quite often. This E34 had the smashed window and i didnt bother to fix it.

Anyways. I finally found a new house, perfect setup. 3 bedrooms, 1 lounge, and a conservatory about the size of the lounge and kitchen combined which is my party room pretty much (yes still young). But even more importantly, enourmous concreted yard, and a two-and-a-half size garage. Finally, after 5 years of owning the touring, she finally gets to live inside! Have been here just under a month now, and loving it.

##
No Start solving:

So anyways, storage of this car for 6 months hasnt been kind. When i went to pick it up, dead. But not flat battery dead (was on a trickle charger), but dead that it would crank but not fire. Simple right? Wrong. On this car, there is two of everything. and i mean everything. two fuel pumps. two dizzy caps. even two crank position sensors. It is essentially two engines running on a common crank shaft. Even if one component fails, the other side of the engine will still run.
Anyways, after ruling out all the usual things we diagnose on here before i even started, I turned my attention straight to the EML. Essentially, this is the control unit has two tasks, one that it syncronises the two banks of cylinders electronically, and secondly (in european market M70 engines at least, particularly right hand drive cars) controls the electronic fly by wire throttle actuators. There are very few other points where this engines intelligence crosses banks.
After a bit of research, I discoverd that, amoung other things, it was not uncommon for the EML unit to, in laymans terms, get tired out at continuous running/operation. Useless information I first thought. I tried a lot of other things that day, and then when they didnt get the result, I decided enough was enough, it was about 10.30PM and it was time to go inside. But i did think about it again before i went in. The car has been on a trickle charger for about 5 months straight, at approx 13.7V. This is the sort of voltage you achieve when the car is running, could this be the problem?? Madness i thought, but anyways, I disconnected the loom from the unit, and left it over night.
Plug the EML in the next day, and what do you know, for the most part the car fired right up! well, not quite. It was running, and even more importantly was running on both banks, but it certianly wasnt a V12. More like a lop-sided V10 or V11 or something.

Diagnoses continues:
I have known that the car has been running rich for a while now. Even though it is a 5L V12, and you would expect some degree of fuel smell coming out the tail pipe, i was sure it was more than it should be. Unfortunately, not having anyone I know within 600km of me that has the same engine albiet in a different car, i really had nothing to compare it to.

When i was playing around with the exhaust about a year ago, i started it up with only the headers and the cats installed, and made this video. In it, you can clearly see fire coming from the exhaust. Yes, very cool, but definately not ideal

Click Here for Backfires lol

So, I pretty much stopped driving the car after than, because it really confirmed my suspicions. In the last year, the car has probably traveled about 1000km's if that, and the only reason for that was to tow another E34 that i had purchased, i needed to go collect it from Taupo, about a 4 hour drive from here each way.

Changing the Spark plugs on the M70 engine is reasonably straight forward, it is just access that is the problem.
Here is a picture of the engine to refrence as you read below

• Right hand side - On the Right hand side of the engine, its not too bad. In the E32, and in my E34 (which as some of you will know essentially has an entire E32 engine bay fitted into my E34, everything is in the same location for a factory fit look), you just need to remove the window washer tank and you can access the first 5, however the 6th one (against the firewall, you need to be a wee bit more contortionist to get around the air conditioning pipes, and use a universal joint but it can be done. Total time for that side is approx ten minutes, so i did those first. Of those, 5 of them showed signs of over fueling, one appeared to be perfect. What does this tell me? The one that is perfect tells me that the DME thinks that it is supplying the correct amount of fuel for the air being delivered to the engine. This means that i can tentitively rule out the MAF sensor, the O2 sensor and disributor rotor as being reasons for over fuelling. This means that, it is most likely either plugs themselves or the injectors leaking. Both of these are 25 years old, all original, so its not unsurprising that they have failed. Remember, as i said earlier, there are two of everything in this engine, so i can only rule out the components for the side i am looking at. The right hand bank of cylinders is fed by everything on the left hand side of the engine bay, as the two intakes cross over each other.
  • Left hand side - access to the left hand side is a lot trickier than the right. The M70 runs a remote oil filter due to the physical size of the engine and to help ease servicing of the engine. There is also the Pentosin reservoir, which contains the fluids for the various hydraulic systems that the M70 runs, such as the hydraulic brakes, power steering, and the self leveling suspension, which as you know has been deleted in this application. Again however, the stock reservoir was used, which is a very big unit, holds approximately 1.5L of fluid in the reservoir alone. Both this and the remote oil filter housing are real obstacles for changing the spark plugs on this side, and as they are unmovable without draining the system of thier respective oils (something i didnt want to do), and they are mounted closer to the engine than they would be in an E32. With a lot of swearing, cursing, skinned knuckles etc, i managed to get the first plug out. this one was the "easiest" of this side. I decided at this point, in my application and due to my unwillingness to change the oils as they were both done recently, i decided the only way was to remove the intake manifold for the other bank (they cross over as i said earlier. I will go into detail of this below, but in the end, this proved to be the only tactic for removing and replacing the plugs on this side. I am sure, in an E32, that it would be possible to replace them without doing this or removing the reservoirs etc.

Intake Manifold Removal
As I have decided that the cylinders on the right hand side of the engine are being overfueled, and that i needed clearance for the left hand side spark plugs, i started the process of removing the intake manifold that feds the right hand side of the engine. I wasnt really looking forward to this, as i really thought it would be very difficult.

I must at this point thank Shogun from various BMW forums (sadly not Bimmerfest I dont think), If you ever see this mate, I really have appreciated your help not only in this project, but for a lot of projects and even during the initial build of this car.

As it turns out, it was actually quite a simple process. Shogun has made a very good PDF here on intake removal, and then proceeds into more depth, so there is really no point me detailing what i did further, as it is the same whether your M70 is in an E31, an E32, or any other chassis its been converted into.

Link is here: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/fo..._Refurbish.pdf

In there, it says that i was going to need some 1/4" extensions. I had one, but needed a few more, so i decided to take a break and go to my local hardware store for a bit of retail therepy. I already have the $500 odd Bahco socket set which has served me for 6 years, and is like the day i brought it only a lot more dirty!!! But seeing as its a very large set, and when im not doing cars i only ever need 1/4" stuff anyway, i picked up this kit for just under $100 so im very happy. I will stand behind Bahco brand, and recommend it, I have never ever been let down by any of thier tools. Im not sure if they are available in the USA, but well worth the extra investment over the cheaper brands.

I also found this tool while i was there. It cost my $4 and i think it is probably taken the spot as most usefull tool in my arsenal. push the top down and teeth come out, for collecting nuts that have fallen down back of beyond. I also discovered, its useful once you have loosened nuts off (like on the underside of the intake manifold), to then grab the nut while still on the thread and spin it off with this and 'hold' it and pull it out. when i put them back in, i will do the same. very very simple, and yet so bloody usefull!!!

Once the intake was removed, i could see down the side of the engine. I wasnt sure whether i was delighted or ****ed off!! I could see the spark plugs now, but i could also see the exhaust manifold heat shields not just covered, but soaked with oil for the back two/three cylinders against the firewall. I didnt take a picture of them installed, but here is a picture of them out of the car. The top two are the ones that go closest to the firewall, the bottom two are the ones that go closest to the front of the engine. Pretty obvious which side is which i think!!

In saying that though, I had also almost definately found the source of my major oil leak that i havent been able to find. The valve cover gasket for this side had definately given way, as it was very clear that it was coming from there. (picture later down this post of the state the gasket was in)

At this point, I knew i was in for major overhaul of this engine. but seeing as i was on a roll, in the mood, and plenty of hours in the day ahead of me, i decided that this car was going to be getting it all replaced. Hey, i was already knee deep, i might as well dive right in.

So out came the other fuel rail, and out came both valve covers, (again, using Shoguns resources so i wont detail again) to expose this naked V12:

On the left hand side of the engine, again, because of the pesky reservoirs in the way, there wasnt even enough clearance for some of the nuts holding the cover on, so i had to make this tool. luckily i have another 10mm here same Bahco brand.

here is a picture of the gaskets once removed from the valve covers. the one that is complete came from the "good" side of the engine. good i may call it, but its still 25 years old, and is more plastic than rubber, but it did still have some flex to it.
However the "bad side" was rock hard plastic, and just snapped as i removed it. wasnt providing a seal really what so ever. i will of course be changing both gaskets at the same time.

and here is a picture of the spark plugs. the top row is from the right hand side of the car, and the bottom row is from the left hand side, while the right hand side of photo is the firwall end, while the left hand side of the photo is the radiator end of the engine.

###

anyways, thats all for now. Only other thing to share is that I took this picture today at the end of the day, and i dont know why but it looks kinda cool so ill share it too.

Talk to you soon!

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 01-01-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Hey is the wagon on coil overs???

It does not seem stanced very agressively, kinda like me before my coil overs..

Little in the way of visual camber to suggest its been slammed either..
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Thanks for the update Andy. Did I read that right though that the spark plugs were original ??? Dude, I think they look pretty good if that is the case.

You may not really have a rich running situation. It may be that the spark was just pretty weak and you may not have been getting complete combustion of the fuel.

Keep the updates coming for us dreamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: E34 540i - a blue one :-)
Looks like ya been busy Andy - nice write-up...........
Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imae34driver View Post
Hey is the wagon on coil overs???

It does not seem stanced very agressively, kinda like me before my coil overs..

Little in the way of visual camber to suggest its been slammed either..
yes it is, probably just a bad picture to show it. about 2.5" drop in the front, the front splitter i recently put on (you can just see it in the picture) is 65mm from the ground, i measured it just now, thats close enough. I can go down another inch (25mm) if i want to before it would become unsafe and i max the coilovers
The back i could definately make sit lower, but as i do use it to carry gear and tow trailers etc, i do need some movement back there. Its currently about 1" lower than standard, has a nice rake to it. I think i might go down another half inch in the back at some stage though.

but i went coilovers because i needed stiffer suspension to cope with the engine and track work.
I didnt by coilovers just so the car could scrape rails and make me look like a backwards cap pants on the ground tool.

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 01-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Thanks for the update Andy. Did I read that right though that the spark plugs were original ??? Dude, I think they look pretty good if that is the case.
Yes original plugs, the engine has done about 80,000kms from new, about 45-50,000miles

E30 above Sold

Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Ok I'm sold. Time to see if that m70 touring is still around.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
Ok I'm sold. Time to see if that m70 touring is still around.
haha buy this one

E30 above Sold

Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 AM

Okay so not too much progress on the car as such!

But I have been spending plenty of time driving it!

One weekend me and a few mates were having some fun down in a private carpark and this happened

would have kept it going except it is on my good tyres and i had a track day coming up

Took it for about a 2 hour drive to Woodville to drop off some semi slicks to a mate, then the next weekend i drove it to Auckland. Did the 7.5 hour haul in one go non-stop. driving around there etc, and then same all the way back home. Its becoming very reliable which is great!

And then the next weekend (which is also last weekend), I again took it to Taupo Motorsport Park, the same track that was used in the A1GP international series.
Link to details of the track here if you are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taupo_Motorsport_Park

Car did really well. Started running out of fuel at the end of the day, and the transmission was starting to get a wee bit too hot and not shifting quite right.
But the suspension setup now is perfect. Have spent countless hours tweaking it to make it handle well on paper, and then took it out on the track. I was on Bridgestone RE001 road tyres, and handles better on the suspension setup now and those tyres than it did last time i was here on semislicks. that shows you the difference suspension actually makes!!!!!

anyways, here are some pictures of the day etc

if you want to see pictures of other vehicles that were there, you will need to make an account at Bimmersport.co.nz because you aren't able to see Meetings threads without an account.

E30 above Sold

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Andy!!!!!!

I must have thought you up. Good to see you have your suspension setup like you want it.
Can't wait for the track video...you're going to do one right?!?

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Lookin good, Andy. Any plans to shadowline?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Wow, that is awesome, love that car so much.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Every Ricers Nemesis

Mein Auto: 87 528e, 94 540i/6
Well Im officially jealous!! Sweet car mate!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
Andy!!!!!!

I must have thought you up. Good to see you have your suspension setup like you want it.
Can't wait for the track video...you're going to do one right?!?

No track video, took some last time i was at the track using my iPhone mounted on a windscreen mount inside the car. As you can guess they turned out crap. They are on YouTube somewhere, if you want to find my channel which is ethrty320i. I don't own a go pro, they are like $500 and for the little I would use it, just not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Lookin good, Andy. Any plans to shadowline?
Nope, i like the chrome! Just like i like the woodgrain in the interior! the chrome really exaggerates the touring side profile i think.

E30 above Sold