BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Crossed drilled rotors

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen cross drilled or slotted rotors for the F01?

#4 ·
I understand about the added chance of hairline fractures but feel a quality set would stand up fine unless you were running at the track (certainly not me) I am somewhat of an aggressive driver but not to the point of extremes. Love the look....that's all.

#5 ·
It will also potentially be less stopping power. Why? Because there is less surface area with holes.

#6 ·
Also, I don't understand why there is so much negative press about crossed drilled rotors when every super car on the market today uses them. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston, Bugatti, and even our M Series Cars, etc. Point, why would all these engineers design cars with them if they were less efficient...doesn't make much sense to me.

#7 · (Edited)
Because they are designed for the car out of the factory. You are going against what the factory provides, and installing the same sized rotors with holes when they didn't expect you to. For all we know they may even be heavier (which is a negative).

Cross drilled rotors have been tested and proven to provide the same or less stopping power in street applications. Their main benefit is that they cool faster and are mainly for track applications, where they are needed in quick repeat, hard stops. If they were that good, why wouldn't they be standard on all cars? You'd think better brakes would be safer and help you sell more cars.

If you want to get them because they look good - fine. Just don't think they'll be any better at stopping is all we're saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.