BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 navigation radio upgrade!!!

38K views 121 replies 29 participants last post by  seemyad 
#1 ·
BMW E39 97-03 Dynavin D99 Non Android 5 Series​

$849 + FREE BACK UP CAMERA + FREE SHIPPING!!!​

I know I'm new to thread, so hopefully no one gets offended by any threads I may post. Just wanted an opportunity for Bimmerfest forum members to get their hands on the exclusive, DYNAVIN D99 Multimedia Radio. We are currently offering a FREE back up reverse camera with each purchase.

This is the back up camera you will receive. MSRP: $34.99
http://ottonavi.com/product/accessor...-backup-camera

This unit is DIRECT PLUG & PLAY as long as your car does not have factory navigation or DSP. If you have factory navigation you will need a fahkra harness as such. We are one of two authorized dealers for Dynavin in North AMERICA. Contact me for GROUP BUY discounts!!!

http://ottonavi.com/product/accessor...vigation-radio

INTELLIGENT PHONE BOOK. SYNC CONTACTS​

FREE SPECIAL BMW MAP INCLUDED FREE​

DIRECT PLUG AND PLAY

Features

AM/FM radio
CD player
iPod capability (iPod cable included)
Bluetooth (A2DP). Stream music from phone to radio!!!
DVD
GPS navigation
Free North America maps (USA, Canada)
File browser
Runs of Windows CE 6.0
Direct plug and play
Please make sure your car does not have premium sound

Specifications

Screen

Screen Size: 7 inch touch screen LCD
1 or 2 DIN: 2 DIN
Touch screen function: Yes
Resolution: 800 * 480
Motorized screen: No
Fixed screen: Yes
Detachable front panel: No
DVD Compatible Format: MP4, DIVX, AVI, DVD, VCD, MP3, (CD), CD-RW, JPEG
Built-in bluetooth: Yes/ Parrot bluetooth
A2DP function: Yes
Built-in GPS: Yes

iPod

iPod function: Yes

Radio

Built-in radio tuner (30 Preset Stations): FM(3*6)87.5-108MHz
Built-in RDS function: Yes
Illumination color: Red
Steering wheel control function: Yes
Power supply: 12V
Max current: 10A
Radio antenna Input: 1
Video output: 2
Video input: 1
Audio output: FL/FR/RL/RR
Audio input: R/L
Back sight video input : 1
Surround stereo iutput : 4 x 50W

Language

System Language: English/German/Spanish/French/Italian
GPS Language: English/German/Spanish/French/Italian/Portuguese etc

Other

Built-in USB port: Yes
Built-in SD slot: Yes
Remote Control function: Yes
Real time clock function: Yes
Auto-memory function: Yes

ONE YEAR FACTORY WARRANTY

See less See more
#55 ·
I also have the dynavin in my 540. Sound quality is great,Bluetooth works very well. But my favorite part about the unit that the gentleman is offering you guys is playing your music. I have over 5000 songs on my phone and always use a aux and cord.this unit you can actually play your music through Bluetooth not having the stupid wires everywhere and it sounds amazing! I give it 2 thumbs up!

#61 ·
If I understood correctly this unit does have every function that my 16:9 sceen control? I mean especially: PDC, webasto-independent heating, steering wheel functions, settings on dash/board displey (clock, date, consumption, etc), timer for ventilation...? I dont need 6cd changer, TV modul or oem telephone since this can replace them but I would really missed those above :)

#65 ·
If any of you guys in SoCal area feel uncomfortable doing the install, give me PM and I can help you out. Hardest part is removing the old cage. Done 3 of these already, so pretty much know the short cuts. Food for thought. As long as schedule allows, I am willing to help out fellow forum members.

#74 ·
I would go aftermarket.
Not sure about Dynavin. They're priced kinda steep, for the same amount of $$ I would think hard and maybe go Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. Or similar. Dennis nailed it.
Then you need the bezel & connectors to hook up the steering wheel. This is a non-issue. Metra has all you need to adapt the aftermarket double din.
If you look at the reputable brands, they have more features, and the box that contains the electronics is quite big - in stark contrast with the Dynavin. Also, the reputable brands have no issues with the units.
I have currently a Hualigan - similar to Dynavin. The difference is, the price was much lower and I was OK with that. It reflects what you get.
Take a look at both Hualigan & Dynavin - from the side, and then take a look at a good brand listed above, which are in the 800-900 bux bracket with a 7" screen. The electronic box is big compared to the Chinese stuff. This make me think the electronics stuffed in there are better, and probably a different more robust stup as well.
Again, think hard what you want. Crutchfield will list the units that will fit your car. Try to stay with the 7" screen.
If you want OEM looks, go with Dynavin. The unit matches nicely the cockpit. If you want quality and reliability, well.....see above. But the bezel from Metra does not look that good. Dennis has a different bezel that seems not be available anymore. That one looks much better. Find one like his and I would not look back.

#76 ·
Finally finished the install on Friday night! All I can say is wow what an improvement!! It took me a couple of days to get all the setting up just right and playing around with it to get full functionality out of it. I had to mostly mess with the igo primo to get it to where I wanted it and I absolutely love it! It looks amazing in the car and does so much stuff! The only questions I have with it right now would be on the main menu is there any way to get it out of 24hr time and to 12hr time? I was able to set it to 12hr time on the navigation software but I can't seem to change it on the main menu. Also on the OBC display is it only supposed to display coolant temp., outside temp., and amount of fuel remaing or should there be more information? Is there a way to change those readings from Celsius and liters to Fahrenheit and gallons? I'm just curious as I am still very new to it! Thanks!

#82 ·
Haha I understand where your coming from. I was eyeing the d95 unit for sometime trying to decide if it was worth it but when they came out with the d99 I just had to have it. It is such a joy driving the car being able to listen to more than FM and CDs on the radio and looking at my suction cup gps. It was totally worth it. I also love the fact I can check my coolant temp without have to unlock the OBC! That is huge especially for these cars with our cooling systems!

#80 ·
I just posted a couple of pictures. I took them at night with my phone right after I got everything buttoned back up but you can kind of see it haha. And yes I did the install myself. It was very easy and straightforward. I did not have DSP or navi stock so it was pretty much plug and play! The hardest part was getting the original radio bracket out.

#89 · (Edited)
I was getting the same thing(reverse cam view) but only when the vehicle was just started. I presumed it was from the cold check signal of the reverse lights. I just temporarily unhooked the reverse trigger wire as it was driving me nuts. Have the power source hooked up to the amp output for now. "I can see who following me at the push of a button" I would like to hook up to the reverse trigger again but have not really figured out why it would impluse every 5 seconds for about 2 minutes after the car is started.

I hooked up a couple of other units on older model E39's (97' & 98') for friends of mine and their units did not do the same thing.:dunno:

Unfortunately, I have not had the time recently to dig deeper into the problem.

#88 ·
Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere and it's making random contact or lack of and it's causing the system to get the signal that's in reverse randomly. Does it go into PDC mode when in reverse and stay there as it should?

#92 ·
It sounds great to me! They quality of sound is definitely improved from the stock unit as well as the volume level I am able to play it at. I did not replace any speakers though so it is still lacking in the bass department but I never crank my music loud so it doesn't bother me. I just enjoy a good level while driving and it sounds very nice and clean.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the reverse thing. I just hooked mine up and the PDC comes on when I go into reverse and goes away after I pull it out of reverse. Never comes on otherwise. Maybe someone else who knows more about the mechanism of this function can chime in...

#97 ·
We have not yet heard from the OP :(
Anyone here added a aftermarket subwoofer?

I am thinking of getting the e90 D99 model... if anyone here has the Android version is Google Maps uses ? Live Traffic ? Tethering works? I see Android 2.3 is out or available has anyone upgraded?

#98 ·
We have not yet heard from the OP :(
Anyone here added a aftermarket subwoofer?

I am thinking of getting the e90 D99 model... if anyone here has the Android version is Google Maps uses ? Live Traffic ? Tethering works? I see Android 2.3 is out or available has anyone upgraded?
I apologize for completely falling off this thread I created. Someone had changed the password on my account and I was unable to have access...

You can connect an aftermarket sub and amp if you wish.

As for Android version...its just like your phone. Google maps will work, live traffic, weather report, netflix, etc

#104 ·
I just purchased an 2003 525i and I am seriously considering installing this unit. I love the OEM look of the unit. The pixels on the MID are out and I am thinking that I might as well take the money that I would put towards that repair towards purchasing this unit. I do have a few questions.

1. My e39 is prewired for phone...will this system work with wiring?
2. My understanding is that the preloaded software is iGO...What version is on the device? If it is iGO8, how difficult is it to upgrade to iGO primo and what is that process? I have watched quite a few youtube viedos displaying functionality of the system, but not many showing functionality of the navigation software, are there any problems with navigation software (is it delayed or slow)?
3. I have tried to scour the internet for information, and I mostly get screen shots so that leads me to a few question...with the PDC, does the screen actually show which PDC is activated? Also, I have seen some instrustions for installation and I am confidnet that I can do it myself...but earlier conversations raise concern about the PDC continually going off, what causes this and how do you avoid it?
4. I have read that when the D99 is installed the plug and play into the OBC will eliminate the OBC feature on the Instument Cluster, is this true? and if so what exactly is eliminated?
5. I have seen screen captures with the BMW logo on the screen is this installed or does it have to be downloaded into the system and if so how difficult is this process?
6. My understand is that this unit can be installed with a back up camera, how difficult is this installation? Does it require running wiring to the front of the car?
7. What is the waranty?

I hate to ask questions that might seem dumb, but I just hate to spend the money with out getting a thorough grasp of what I am getting.

Thank you for any response you can offer...

#107 ·
I just purchased an 2003 525i and I am seriously considering installing this unit. I love the OEM look of the unit. The pixels on the MID are out and I am thinking that I might as well take the money that I would put towards that repair towards purchasing this unit. I do have a few questions.

2. My understanding is that the preloaded software is iGO...What version is on the device? If it is iGO8, how difficult is it to upgrade to iGO primo and what is that process? I have watched quite a few youtube viedos displaying functionality of the system, but not many showing functionality of the navigation software, are there any problems with navigation software (is it delayed or slow)?
3. I have tried to scour the internet for information, and I mostly get screen shots so that leads me to a few question...with the PDC, does the screen actually show which PDC is activated? Also, I have seen some instrustions for installation and I am confidnet that I can do it myself...but earlier conversations raise concern about the PDC continually going off, what causes this and how do you avoid it?
4. I have read that when the D99 is installed the plug and play into the OBC will eliminate the OBC feature on the Instument Cluster, is this true? and if so what exactly is eliminated?
5. I have seen screen captures with the BMW logo on the screen is this installed or does it have to be downloaded into the system and if so how difficult is this process?
6. My understand is that this unit can be installed with a back up camera, how difficult is this installation? Does it require running wiring to the front of the car?
7. What is the waranty?

I hate to ask questions that might seem dumb, but I just hate to spend the money with out getting a thorough grasp of what I am getting.

Thank you for any response you can offer...

The unit comes with free iGo primo. You can change map software to garmin or tomtom...etc

You can turn the PDC on and off through the settings issue.

Not sure if you loose any OBC features...let me check up on this

It comes with the BMW logo screen loaded when you enter navigation. However, as for the start up logo it reads DYNAVIN. You can change this in the factory settings.

Yes, you will run wire from front of car to back. You will need a ground and power in the back of the camera.

7. What is the warranty?

One year factory warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.