BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2015 X3 Hifi vs Harmon Kardon

10K views 43 replies 6 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 ·
Hello, my vehicle was manufactured May of 2014 after the LCI changeover and came with the standard hi fi stereo. It does lack umph! I was looking at various parts sites and it shows that the hifi speakers are the same as the harmon kardon speakers. Can anyone confirm this? If so can I just purchase the harmon kardon amplifier and swap out the hifi unit? If speakers are the same then the one main component that is different is the amp.

#4 ·
Yes you guys are right... was real fuzzy last night. the standard is 65139240642. The HK is 65139209185. I wonder if I can get any improvement by just putting an amp in there without swapping the speakers. That has always a problem for BMW, you pay so much for vehicle to get crap sound.

#5 ·
Depends on how the stock speakers are rated. Throwing an amp on garbage speakers might not help your cause. You need to know their power rating and frequency response just as a baseline.

Additionally, the HK amp is wired to run more speakers that your car does not have. As far as using BMW components to modify the base system, not sure if you want to even bother.

You would be better served to replace your base speakers and amp. Or, you can start with just a speaker replacement and see how it sounds running off the stock amp and go from there.

#6 ·
Depends on how the stock speakers are rated. Throwing an amp on garbage speakers might not help your cause. You need to know their power rating and frequency response just as a baseline.

Additionally, the HK amp is wired to run more speakers that your car does not have. As far as using BMW components to modify the base system, not sure if you want to even bother.

You would be better served to replace your base speakers and amp. Or, you can start with just a speaker replacement and see how it sounds running off the stock amp and go from there.
+1 on above...thats what I'd do...

#9 ·
Have you had any experience with a stage 1 system from bavsound? They will have one for the X3 in April. One of the major issues is when I am listening to spotify or itunes the music crackles in higher volume. it did not do it in my x5 previous x5 or my wife 335 with harmon kardon. Drives me nuts... now I just listen to the radio with hollow sound!

#13 ·
Thanks for all the info. Yep when streaming I have it set on extreme and volume on the iphone turned to medium. It just seems that these imperfections are great exacerbated with the new base system. When connecting via USB the crackling goes away, just a pain to have to plug in and unplug everytime rather than the auto stream whenever my bluetooth connects. The dealer made a really gd deal when I picked it up last month, I just never tested the streaming. Since my family and I are a volume customer they are looking into swapping the vehicle out.

#14 · (Edited)
We had to replace our Aux in the 2014 3 we have due to similar issues. Stay away from the Aux if you can..really causes detriment to the sound. Like you noticed, run everything through USB whenever possible. Are you saying you have sound crackling through BT streaming or the Aux line?

I still cannot find a fix or solution to exit a Podcast through iDrive. Anyone? Once a podcast is playing and on the screen, there is no way to get back to the music screen (playlists, now playing, etc) unless I am a complete idiot. I have to close out the podcast app on the phone, and engage the music app manually for iDrive to recognize. :dunno:

#15 ·
Its through streaming. I don't normally listen to podcats.. I can try it out when I have the time and see. I got a call back from my dealer, they are willing to "swap" it out.. would have to pay sales tax and processing again. The newer vehicle is more expensive since it is a higher msrp. We may end up doing it since by the time I get speakers, am etc it will be a couple of thousand anyways.

#17 · (Edited)
Would it consider a trade and you pay sales tax on the difference in price?
As much as I like the HK system, an aftermarket system with bavsound speakers will sound much better. I have tested out the HK system in the X3, it not bad but does not sound as good as the 5 series and the X5. My advice is go to the dealer and test out the HK with your music medium, sometimes the problem is garbage in garbage out. That's why I have a few test CDs I bring to the dealer to test out audio systems. I still have the free satellite subscription in the my but I do not list to it because the quality is low. If you have the ability to choose the podcast***8217;s bit rate, obviously, you should choose the highest.

#16 · (Edited)
Sounds good. I do not think you will be disappointed with the HK. My lingering issue with the system is that you really have to unwind it. So at least half volume or higher. In that range, I have little complaints. The EQ works well. The only thing missing is independent levels for the center and subs.

The DSP is so-so, really depends again on the audio source and how each track has been mixed. Some sound excellent with Logic 7, some sound worse. You will probably find yourself leaving it on or off entirely.

Go here for a good breakdown of the system, scroll down a bit and select X3. Looks like they left out the center channel in the diagram though.

#18 ·
Tested out the HK at the dealer, streaming same songs and spotify as well with no crackle issues like the basic system. I went ahead and did the trade. This one has more options so cost a bit more. The dealer went over and beyond to make me happy. They all but essentially absorbed most of the negative of the trade. I moved my black grills to this new one as well! Very happy with it!

#22 ·
I am glad everything work out for you, sounds like the DSP and the speakers fixed the crackling problem. What additional option did you get? Usually when a dealer is willing to do a trade like that, they probably made a lot of money off your sales, after all, they are not in the business to lose money.

#20 ·
Thanks. Did you ever get the black grills?

#23 ·
The one we traded in we actually got 12.75 percent off Msrp. It had been sitting for about 10 months. In addition to the tech, driver assistance with lane departure surround view, this one had the lighting package, premium package and of course HK. It did not have the xline like the last one did, so we moved the wheels from the "old" one over to this one. If you looked at the monthly payment it would seem I only got 4 percent off Msrp on the latest one.... But if you looked at the actual details with trade and all it was well above the 12.75 I got the first time round. My family buy an average of 2 from them a yr, so we would be categorized as a "good" customer :)

#24 ·
12.75% is a phenomenal discount for the X3. Sounds like your dealer took good care of you. It is strange that your last X3 had driver assistance with lane departure and surround view but not lighting package or premium package, almost seems like someone order it and then change their mind. The strange options or lack there of might be the reason why it has been sitting on the lot for a while. It sounds like you pay an extra $3500 for the 2nd car which is a great deal considering that the invoice price for the additional options is around $4500. If you subtract the $1400 for the X-line package, the invoice for the 2nd car should be around $3100 more than the 1st. That would mean the dealer only charge $400 for trading in your car which is pretty much an even trade.

#25 ·
The X Men... you are absolutely right. They were trying to get the MSRP of the vehicle below a certain price point. They actually had 2... one had HK, Nav and Heated Seats... the other had xline, Tech, Driver assistance package plus. So I chose the latter. it was almost like the lesser than 2 evils. The irony is the one I am in now is the one I originally wanted if I were to move from a X5 to a X3, but in the interest of moving the old inventory (actually 9 months old not 10) they made the numbers really ugly on the one I wanted. ... fast forward I am happy now with the purchase versus the previous one where I would dread getting into it after 2 days. The production date on this one is about 7 months apart, both still 2015, what I thought was interesting was that they moved the start button higher up on this one and the engine feels more responsive than the previous one. Perhaps they did some fine tuning/fixes in the later one. I always thought they would wait till the next release year before making changes.

#26 · (Edited)
Did you go from a 2014 to a 2015? Was your previous X3 the LCI?

Just some pointers on the HK system...
It comes with a full equalizer beyond the Bass and Treble - a fine EQ makes a world of difference. As an audio mixer and producer - I find the HK system by default "flat". Great for mixing, not so great for colorful sound inside a premium car. Spend some time with the EQ, and you can unlock some excellent sound from the Logic 7.

The system might be a little underwhelming initially. Give it some hours to break it. Increase a steady listening volume over time. You will find that in the higher volume ranges, the HK is excellent. Under 50% volume it is a little disappointing.

The soundstage with Logic 7 OFF is pretty high and forward - like sound coming out of the windshield. Without a dedicated level to the center channel, this makes some music sound awkward.

With Logic 7 ON, you may find the sound received by your ears to come more naturally from the car - like where the speakers are placed versus where the speakers are programmed to create the sound image when Logic is off.

I have actually set my system to Logic 7 ON and left it. Overall, I think it does a good job, and although it creates artificial space and imaging, it does a pretty good job. If you like Rock, Jazz, Vocal - you might be better served with it OFF. Logic will wash out some main instruments and vocals in order to spread the sound in efforts to create a surround environment.

My point? Do not get discouraged off the bat...give it some time and work out the settings and you will find that the HK is very solid. It is no B&O, but it is well worth the option cost, especially over the crap X3 base system.

Enjoy and best with the new ride.

#27 ·
Interesting you mention the B&O is a step up, is the leap really that great from HK -> B&O?

I'm the type of person HiFi stores hate, e.g. I was once hooked by a Bose sales man to tell the difference between acoustimass and a set of "proper" speakers. He was most irked when (to all his enthusiasm it's the best in the world) I told him there was a gaping "hole" in the sound somewhere ... :)

I love my HK BTW, for in the car.

#28 ·
The B&O comes in many versions, the B&O in my wife's old Audi Q5, which has a similar price tag as BMW's HK, does not sounds as good. At the high volume, the HK blows away the Q5's B&O. The 5 series' B&O is an upgrade from the Q5 and A4's B&O, it sounds very good at all volume. The B&O's instrument clarity is simply amazing. The big question is, would you pay $4500 for the BMW B&O system? Is it 6 times better than the HK? My opinion is no, not even close, the HK system at $800 is a bargain if one compare it to other sound systems in the similar price range. Dollar for dollar, I would take the HK over the B&O.

#29 ·
Maverick 2015.... Yes the previous one is 2015 LCI. Service Advisor said it is not uncommon for them to put fixes in if they feel it is needed versus waiting for next model year. I have put 250 miles on it since I got it on Friday and am very happy with the decision. And the black grills look better on silver :)

#30 ·
B&O has many variants of systems.

The Q5 sounds better in what I would say, a more usable volume range. For those that do not want to absolutely crank it, the BO sounds much better at more moderate listening levels, which ultimately could be more useful.

The upper level BO systems are incredible. Since they aren't offered in the X3, not worth a discussion.

Everyone has priorities. I would pay for that system no question. I live for music.

Not arguing the HK...I think it's a great system and well worth the option price. It's excellent for 875.

#34 ·
? Not sure if this is for me. However you are correct, a lot longer than 2 years.

B&O is a different system. It is more vibrant and colorful than HK. People will have different opinions about whether that is good or not. It also allows for DSP variation, just as their Bose system.

And I am pretty sure you, obviously, do not have the musical background that I do, both in teaching and professional. There is a reason BMW has started to offer B&O in cars, like your 5 series and above. If the X3 had an option even for the B&O system like the Q5 - I would have chosen it. But that is neither here nor there - opinions differ. HK is great, however the sound is all together different than B&O and its DSP.

#44 ·
Judging from your statements, obviously, you have not listen to and play with the B&O system in the Q5 for two year like I did.
? Not sure if this is for me. However you are correct, a lot longer than 2 years.
Just want to point out another lie by maverick2015, he said he had more than 2 years worth of seat time with the Q5's B&O system. According to the thread below, he was choosing between the X3 and the Q5 6 months ago which means that he never own a Q5 in his life. So according to this guy, he also own an Audi 2012+ A6 3.0T. I guess the internet is a great place to live one's imaginary life and he is simply piss off because I caught him in a web of deceive.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790792&highlight=

#36 ·
Sometimes teachers can teach but cannot do. You sound like you have a musical background but no technical background. B&O makes nice looking high end systems. Some will debate the money should be spend more on function rather than form. A Mark Levinson reference system at half the price of the B&O will sound the same if not better. You should really get more seat time with different systems before commenting on them. You pretty lost all credibility with your comments on Bose.

#37 · (Edited)
You pretty lost all credibility with your comments on Bose.
Which were what, exactly?

Credibility? When you say you will take the 800 HK over a 4k+ B&O?? Do you have credibility? You recommend the guy put in Bavsound? Is that credible? I reserved my opinion on that recommendation because he traded the car. Done with you on this board. Still riding me. You do not care for how I post - yet you still continue to make your OPINIONS. You are not the only one with a viewpoint. Maybe its a language barrier that you have regarding comprehension. Please point out my exact Bose comments that question my credibility. Please quote them.

#39 ·
And this serves to your credibility in what way? This wholly disregards the merits of the audio system and is only about price. How is that credible? How is that a choice based on equipment? How does that better serve someone? My comments are about the audio system and sound - not price. Anyone can make that simple comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.