BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 wheel alignment

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  BruceOmega 
#1 ·
I need new tires for my 2013 X3. Got a quote from BMW that seems high ($1900). Looking at Pirelli Cinturato P7, 245/45-19, currently on vehicle. I got a much better quote from a local shop that has installed tires on my benz and they have done a great job.

The BMW dealer says that these other tire places can not do the factory alignment. Local shop says they can certainly do the alignment. am I missing something....what is special about what the BMW dealer can do vs. the local shop?

My question is about the BMW alignment vs local. Not looking to debate which tire to select. There are lots of threads on that subject.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Sounds like the local dealer is upselling. I put new tires (non-RFT) on my 2013 and had an alignment done with no problem work was done by Mavis Tire. Also the put new pressure sensors in which worked better than the originals.

#4 ·
I need new tires for my 2013 X3. Got a quote from BMW that seems high ($1900). Looking at Pirelli Cinturato P7, 245/45-19, currently on vehicle. I got a much better quote from a local shop that has installed tires on my benz and they have done a great job.

The BMW dealer says that these other tire places can not do the factory alignment. Local shop says they can certainly do the alignment. am I missing something....what is special about what the BMW dealer can do vs. the local shop?

My question is about the BMW alignment vs local. Not looking to debate which tire to select. There are lots of threads on that subject.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have active steering? Supposedly, active steering's center position need to be reset with a software during an alignment.

#6 ·
Sounds like a pretty high price to me. We had our 18 inch P7 RFTs replaced by the dealer (Schomp in Denver) last year and it was about $1400. They added another $130 or so to do the alignment. All-in-all, I thought that was pretty reasonable. I believe they are having a tire sale now, selling "at cost" plus some small amount. I would shop around with other dealers to find a better price.

#12 ·
Same question. I had just created another thread about this. I too have DHP with sport and would like to change to non RFTs. Dealership charges a lot for tires and does not offer non RFTs. Would like to know if the dealership would reset this variable steering for a cost. Anyone with ideas?

#13 ·
Believe resetting the variable steering is part of a 4 wheel alignment rather than a separate process.

I bought new tires from Tirerack and had them installed on our 2011 X3 with DHP by one of their recommended local installers. I then took the X3 to a dealer and had them do a 4 wheel alignment.

FWIW, I called around to a number of local dealers asking for the price of an alignment, mentioning we have DHP / VSS, and there was quite a variation in prices quoted.

Bruce

#15 ·
Thanks for sharing. Can you please let us know the tires you bought from online are non RFT or RFT?
I bought Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP, size 245/45-19, which are run flats. I wanted to stay with run flats for peace of mind.

I had a bad experience with run flats on my 2006 330Xi, but have had no issues with using run flats on the X3 or my 2013 335i xDrive.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.