BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2015 LCI Edmunds Review

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  maverick2015 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I have been very underwhelmed with the fuel efficiency of my 2015. EPA rating was 1 MPH higher than my Subaru Outback for city driving, but I am getting 3-4 MPG less. Only about 17 MPG city with most of the time in eco-pro mode. I don't have much clear highway driving on my commute, but from a very limited sample size, I'm getting about 23 MPG Highway versus the 27 EPA.

#3 ·
I have 5k on my 2015 35i. I have noticed that the 35i is more efficient on 91 vs 93 octane, so the trip computer says. My mileage has actually been right on the money with the EPA figures. I am around 80% city driving and average 19mpg overall. I have not cracked more than 19 per tank since ownership.

Compared to the 2.0, seems there is little to no trade off in realized MPG gains vs performance. The two engines are very close in MPG.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't have enough miles on my 2015 yet to comment. However on my 2013 X3 2.8 I got fantastic mileage and I used 89 octane most of the time. My overall average highway was up about 30 MPG and city was around 23. I happened to notice inside the door the rating specified a minimum of 89 not the 91 I was led to believe. About 80% of the time I filled up at Mobil stations so I'm assuming the quality of the fuel was pretty good.

I attached two photos from the on-board trip computer I snapped during one of my trips. It shows I averaged 31.9MPG by the end of the drive, I'd like to say I was in Eco-Pro mode but I can't. My travels bring me all around the northeastern USA so the roads are anything but flat.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have 1.8k on my 2015 35i. Currently getting about 20mpg with mixed driving. Haven't done exact calculations, but trip computer is giving me the 20mpg figure. I find myself at around 300miles before having to refuel. At that time, the fuel needle is near empty (50miles left to empty). I am very disappointed with the fuel economy. Hope it gets better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I did not mean to spark an MPG discussion...

to me, even with the 2.0, there isn't much to be upset about considering the base X3 engine out performs everything in the segment ! This thing pushes sub 6.5 0-60's and gets 20 + no matter the engine choice. I am actually amazed. Considering we might be dealing with a difference of 1-3 realized mpg's versus the competition, I would take the trade with the boost in performance. I drive our 2014 Acura RDX from time to time, and I have to say that even with its V6, the 2.0 X3 feels strong and better and delivers better mileage, and my 35i blows the doors off the RDX and gets the same mileage lol. No complaints here.

#10 ·
In my three fill ups so far, I am averaging 20-22 MPG with a 35i. Very little flat land or long distance highway runs here mostly urban stretches with some stop & go city. I am very happy so far. That said I am still within break in, so no WOT runs. I have been using sport and having fun below 5K rpm, so its not like I am trying to drive like a Prius.

#11 ·
Hehe just kidding!

But seriously, why spend $50k on a car and not give it optimal gas? All my performance cars have specified at least 91 octane - a few stations around here have 93 octane, so that's what I give 'Em.

Re' gas mileage - my 2011 X3 3.5i consistently gets 20 mpg in daily driving and 26 on the highway.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.