BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Leaking oil filter housing gasket and warranty

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  luigi524td 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 X3. I was told that the oil filter housing gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced, but it will probably cost me about $800 which is ridiculously expensive to me. I have found some people had similar problems, but they got it fixed under the warranty. Does anybody know if it should be covered by my warranty? Thanks a lot!

#7 ·
Gasket leaks

Even if you're a few months out of warranty I recommend you press for a good-will repair covered by BMW. Even if this were a low-buck chevy no way would I accept gasket failures as "oh well, they happen" - and on a $40,000-$50,000 BMW NFW!! :mad:

#4 · (Edited)
Dealer discovered a leak at the oil filter housing on our 2011 X3 during a scheduled maintenance visit. Repaired under warranty, although it took a week to ship the parts during east coast snow storm but we had a free loaner so no big deal.
2011 X3 35i at 45K miles.

Edit:
The oil filter housing leak compromised bearing lubricant in the belt tensioner pulley bearing. Replacement parts took a week to arrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.