BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car Shopping, CPO or One year new?

Tags
cpo
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  maverick2015 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Disclaimer up front first, I don't own a X3 at the moment. I currently have a 05 Legacy GT. My wife drives a 2005 Outback and we're looking to replace it as it's coming up on 200k.

We're in the process of looking for a replacement. We both like the X3 as the luxury route option. We definitely can't afford brand new so the options are CPO with nothing older than 2012 or try to find a reasonably priced 2014. My questions to your X3 experts, a few questions actually.

0. Is there already a forum thread that discusses the following?
1. How is BMW CPO for those that went that route?
2. What mileage should I be looking for if I go CPO? average is 12k miles for avereage driver right? But is there a mileage with the X3 where once you make it that point you have avoided some infant issues?
3. Are there any significant issues with the X3? For example on my Legacy, the turbo "Banjo bolt" is a well known issue among the forum. Are there any issues where a majority of X3 owners know about?
4. Can anyone recommend any good BMW dealers to work with on the east coast? I'm willing to go anywhere from NY to NJ, PA, MD, DE.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello spsuamin,
I just purchased a '13 CPO'd X3. I had to take some miles to keep the price down. This X3 has 49000 miles. I just took delivery last week. The car is like new.

I'm not sure if the CPO is worth it or not, and I am still thinking about adding a CPO "wrap" warranty on top of the CPO warranty. But, I am leaning towards not going that route.

-Todd

#5 ·
The CPO warranty doesn't cover like the original warranty does, so they sell what they call a "wrap" that takes the CPO warranty 6/100,000 to the level of the original warranty. I was quoted $3000 for this, which I am probably not going to do.

There is a document that shows what a CPO warranty doesn't cover. Seems like the Navigation system is always brought up first. Someone referred to the CPO warranty as major medical coverage.

-Todd

#4 · (Edited)
Although I hadn't started out looking for a CPO, that's what I wound up with and I am very happy with it. I initially bought a new 2014 X1 but found that after years of driving off-road capable 4x4, the X1 wasn't exactly what I wanted. I walked in for my first service and saw a CPO 2014 X3 in exactly the configuration I wanted with 7400 miles on it - my X1 had 7500. I walked out 2 hours later with the CPO X3! Although I am freaked out that I made such a decision so quickly, I have to say I love my X3. It was in absolutely spotless condition, even smelled new. I think you have to know your stuff and negotiate hard, but you can do very well on a CPO. Since you're taking a car already configured, you have to have a clear sense of what your must-haves are.

#6 ·
Hi everyone. Disclaimer up front first, I don't own a X3 at the moment. I currently have a 05 Legacy GT. My wife drives a 2005 Outback and we're looking to replace it as it's coming up on 200k.

We're in the process of looking for a replacement. We both like the X3 as the luxury route option. We definitely can't afford brand new so the options are CPO with nothing older than 2012 or try to find a reasonably priced 2014. My questions to your X3 experts, a few questions actually.

2. What mileage should I be looking for if I go CPO? average is 12k miles for avereage driver right? But is there a mileage with the X3 where once you make it that point you have avoided some infant issues?
3. Are there any significant issues with the X3? For example on my Legacy, the turbo "Banjo bolt" is a well known issue among the forum. Are there any issues where a majority of X3 owners know about?
4. Can anyone recommend any good BMW dealers to work with on the east coast? I'm willing to go anywhere from NY to NJ, PA, MD, DE.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
Try Capital Cities BMW, in Glenmont (just outside Albany). I purchase my BMWs and VWs through them. They're great folks to work with and I feel have been very fair and willing to go the extra mile.

#7 ·
Thanks red, yeah they have really good reviews in the area. I went to keeler bmw so far and was significantly dissatisfied. The salesman seemed annoyed he had to deal with us and wanted to anything to make the test drive short. Planning on visiting capitalcities though.

#9 · (Edited)
- i used to work for dealership and had to repair cars under cpo all time. everytime repair is made, $50 deductible applies. it covers seals and gaskets and all electronics except wear items and entertainment system. Awesome warranty but only lasts for 2 additional years after factory warranty and up to 100k miles. if you plan to drive alot definitely worth getting CPO. $3k is worth it.

2. What mileage should I be looking for if I go CPO?
-cpo cars are usually under 50k miles, so that depends on your price range. if you have cpo mileage doesn't really matter.

3. Are there any significant issues with the X3?
- no major issues we know of yet.

4. Can anyone recommend any good BMW dealers to work with on the east coast? i use to work at a bmw dealer and even to employees they would not give good discount on cars. while i was a employee i went to VOB BMW in rockville and got a better deal on a 07 x5 than the dealer i was working for. VOB BMW in rockville maryland has changed ownership so they also changed their name to BMW of Rockville. definitely check them out if you are planning to buy bmw from dealer.

When i first started working for dealer as technician, 80% of the cars that were sold were CPO. It does cost dealer alot of money and when that happens the cost will transfer to customer. With all this online sales and pricing by posting price of CPO bmw's dealers were loosing lots of business to other sellers. So they started CPO'ing vehicle if customer wants it done for additional cost.

purchasing vehicle from dealer is a safer bet than from multi brand used car place. However i was able to purchase decent priced cars that was low mile with no accidents so it all depends on what your looking for and where.
if warranty is issue, most of used car companies carry extended warranty and some of them are phenomenal. price range from $1500-$3000 but again well worth it if you are planning to keep your BMW for awhile.

Things to look for in extended warranty are - Coverage of drive train, suspension, Electrical components, water pump, hoses, SEALS & GASKETS. if warranty writes seals and gaskets are only covered if in-conjunction with repairs are done then i would pass on that deal and see if upgrade plan like gold or platinum package would cover it.

#12 · (Edited)
BMW Certified Pre-Owned Elite: These are newer model year, lower mileage (more than 300 miles but less than 15,001 miles) vehicles. This warranty covers you for 1 year/25,000 miles* after the expiration of the 4-year/50,000-mile New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or for a total of 5 years/75,000 miles.* For Certified Pre-Owned vehicles retailed on or after January 1, 2014, up to 5 years of BMW Roadside Assistance and BMW AssistTM Emergency Call, which includes Automatic Collision Notification, and TeleService are included.

From your original post...it looks like an elite certified makes perfect sense, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.