BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 328i Steering Wheel Vibration

44K views 226 replies 55 participants last post by  328iM 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing a slight steering wheel vibration from 40-60mph in my new 328i. You can feel the small vibration with your hands on the wheel, but it becomes even more obvious when you take you hands off the wheel and see it moving on its own.

A few other people have posted about this issue, but I haven't seen any updates recently. I took mine in to the dealer last week and they balanced the tires. It was maybe a little better for a couple of days, but seems to be back full force now.

My car was an early May 2012 build. Did they resolve this issue in later builds? Has anyone gotten resolution on this issue?

#122 ·
There has been speculation that cars with adaptive-M suspension never exhibit this behavior.

If that were proven out to be the case, then the source of the problem would be one of the components that is different between models with adaptive suspension and those with stock or sport suspension.

#130 ·
I know someone tried this, but can anyone actually get a video of this occurring? Perhaps with a passenger behind the driver for safety? I have had my car for over a month and I can't say for sure that I have this issue. I am thinking I do not. I think there is a lot of good descriptions here, but a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

I think it would really help to level set people, not to mention inform the community of what is a problem, and what isn't.

#131 ·
I know someone tried this, but can anyone actually get a video of this occurring? Perhaps with a passenger behind the driver for safety? I have had my car for over a month and I can't say for sure that I have this issue. I am thinking I do not. I think there is a lot of good descriptions here, but a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

I think it would really help to level set people, not to mention inform the community of what is a problem, and what isn't.
I will try but it's very hard to keep the camera steady when driving

#142 ·
Take a test drive at delivery to find out if you have the problem before you complete the deal then you can decide what to do depending what you find out . Good luck:thumbup:
cheers
vern

#143 · (Edited)
Here is a crappy to capture the video this morning. I couldn't get everything in frame and will have my wife take some better video from the passenger seat.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums...3-B7D4-E32FB0DD1024-4712-000006B53B295AB3.mp4

It's probably hard to tell since the camera itself is shaky, but mine has always been more of a tactile vs. visual shimmy. If you blindfolded me and put me behind the wheel, I could tell you within 1mph how fast we were going between 40-60mph based on the level of pulse I feel in the steering wheel. Any mph below 40 and above 60, and the wheel is dead silent.

(And my F30 is nowhere near my first BMW, so I am very familiar with how the Bavarians drive)

#146 · (Edited)
BMWNA called me today to follow-up with me on my call to them last week. She apologized that I'm having this issue and was told that BMW is taking the steering wheel shaking issue very seriously. She also addressed my concerns about it being a safety issue - she said that there is no danger involved in driving my vehicle. She did say that this issue is being reported primarily by owners in Florida - which I couldn't believe. I told her that from the blogs I've read about this issue, there are people all over the country complaining about the steering wheel vibration. She said that she'd be contacting me Friday, the day after I take my car back to my BMW dealer. They are going to do a few other tests and open a puma report. She asked that I be patient and that they would keep me updated on this issue. I did however tell her that I'm not sure how long I'm going to be willing to be patient before I start the paperwork on claiming it under the Florida Lemon Law. We'll see how this goes.

Is everyone on this Post from Florida????????

#147 ·
What concerns me is that if she is willing to fabricate a story that the issue is being reported "primarily by owners in Florida," she is just as likely to be blowing smoke when she says, "BMW is taking the steering wheel issue very seriously."

#148 ·
I'm not from Florida...although it's a nice place to visit. AZ Bimmer here with steering wheel vibes. Haven't taken it back in since the latest TSB came out. I guess I should just so I can prove I've jumped through all the right hoops.

#149 ·
I'm in MD and I also have the steering wheel vibration issue. I traded in my trusty 2006 e90 330i for a 2012 328 last month. I took it to the dealer last week, they rotated the tires, balanced the wheels and adjusted the alignment. Still not fixed, I'm headed back to the dealer soon.
:mad:

#150 ·
Took delivery of my 335i yesterday, took it out on the parkway this morning, no vibration issues. I was so happy I can't tell you guys.

Car tracks straight also, I could take my hands off the wheel for an appreciable amount of time. My car does have adaptive suspension and variable steering.

#152 ·
UPDATE: I got my car back on Friday after they did a hard road wheel balance (not sure what that is) and the vibration is almost gone. I have a few concerns running through my mind right now and not sure how to proceed. Has anyone had work done to correct this issue and it improve dramatically? My concerns are this: Will it return after time? Should I press the issue now that they take the car back or just wait it out? Three years from now when I go to trade it in, will this affect the value because they started a puma report on the issue? I'm really on the fence about whether to push them to take it back or just wait it out - will waiting it out hurt me?

Someone should change the thread title to 2012/2013 Steering Wheel Vibration

Any advice is appreciated

#159 ·
I experienced the vibrating steering issue with my 12 328 Sport as well. Dealer tried rebalancing, road force testing, alignment adjustments, switching tire brands and designation (All season to summer perf) and nothing helped. I adjusted the tire pressure to the load indicated for driving over 100 mph, and i noticed an improvement. But it was still present no matter what i tried....

BMW traded me out of my lease into a 13 328 Msport with adaptive and VSS and the 40-60 mph vibration is gone. The only vibrations I feel now are road generated, so Im very pleased.

My advice to everyone, drive one before you buy/lease. At around 45 mph, take your hands off the wheel for a minute and watch for the wheel pulsating back and forth. If its present, ask to order a new one. I would also recommend to everyone to opt for the DHP. Its a phenomenal improvement to the ride quality and overall enjoyment of the car. the improvement over standard is well worth the $900. Take it from me, I put 10k on my Sport before trade out and the ride is night and day between the 2. If thats the only option you choose on your car, youll be more than happy.

If you do have the vibrating issue, do not accept it and go directly to your Sales Manager. I would also get the GM involved. If you're patient and courteous, they will help you. Putting in a polite call to BMWNA will also help move things along. It took a bit of effort from my end to get a resolution, but it all worked out very well in the end.

#167 ·
Update:
Took my car in this morning to have them look hub/wheel interface. I know this is most likely not the issue and if it's not fixed, I will be calling BMWNA to start the whole "fix it or give me a new car" process. I had my Dad drive my car this weekend and asked him (without telling him specifically) if he noticed anything strange in the way it drove. He said "it drives great, with the exception of this steering wheel shimmy." That just further solidified the fact that I'm not imagining the issue. Also, the loaner this morning was a brand new '13 F30 Sport with 325mi on the odometer. Between the drive from the dealership to my office, there was ZERO vibration.

#173 ·
UPDATE: BMWNA has agreed to do a "trade assist" for me to switch to a 528. The dealer asked that I build it (528) the way I'd want it - same features I ordered on my 328. It totals $55,720 w/dest & handling. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have one in stock the way I'd want it. So they are trying to find out if BMWNA will allow me to order it they way I want it. At this point, they've not discussed what type of "deal" they are going to give me - I'm hoping it isn't more than what I want to spend. If it is, I think I'll ask to return the 328 and walk aways from BMW altogether. My Sales Advisor has been great - dealing with the BMWNA rep hasn't been the best experience. At this point, I'm just holding my breath until I get the "price."

This has just been a BIG Bummer!!!!

#174 ·
Update from yesterday:
I got my car back yesterday and for now, the vibration is gone. The steering wheel still has some movement to it, but nothing more than just typical feedback from uneven pavement. There is no uniform frequency to the steering wheel oscillation like there was before. From what the SA said, they did a road force rebalance and put the tire with the highest value on the back...I think it was in the neighborhood of 23 but will have to check. The steering seems different now though...not bad, just different. Probably due to the wheels being rotated around on the car.

I have the square setup and was planning on rotating the tires every 5k miles, but maybe that's not a good idea if it causes vibration again. On my previous E36's the dealer did not recommend rotation. Wonder if that's still the case with the F30?

#175 ·
My car, a 2012 328i, was in the shop for 4 days, I too had the steering wheel vibration issue (I don't have dynamic handing package). I picked up my car tonight and I'm happy to report the dealership fix it. I had conti pro contact tires, it turns out they were out of "round", which caused the vibration. They replaced all 4 tires with new contis, the dealership noticed they were also not perfectly round so they replaced all 4 tires with Michelin primacy mx4s. The car rides great, so far, it appears the problem was fixed.

#177 ·
Trade Assist Question

As I last reported BMWNA approved a "Trade Assist" OR a "Buy Back" over a week ago. Last Friday I went to the dealership to plead my case to the Sales Manager when I was only offered to purchase a 5 series at $500 over invoice. He was still waiting for the BMW District Regional Mgr to give him info on the "trade assist" at the time I spoke to him. I was so MAD that I called the GM of the dealership on Saturday to ensure they knew how I felt about this situation.
My POINT is: BMW was made aware of the "potential" steering wheel vibration in Feb 2012. Obviously they didn't test my car between 40mph to 60mph. IF they had, they would have detected the defect. IF they had told me about the defect on the day of the sale, I would have KEPT my 328 convertible and NOT purchased my 2013 328. The dealership wouldn't have MADE MONEY on my convertible - I would have KEPT IT!!!! So offering me a 5 series at $500 over invoice is a SLAP in my face.

Yesterday my SA emailed me, asking to obtain my payoff. I'm hoping to hear from them today on what they are going to offer. IF it isn't to my liking, I'm walking away from BMW.

Can anyone else share with me what they've been offered in relation to a "Trade Assist?":mad::mad:

#178 ·
As I last reported BMWNA approved a "Trade Assist" OR a "Buy Back" over a week ago. Last Friday I went to the dealership to plead my case to the Sales Manager when I was only offered to purchase a 5 series at $500 over invoice. He was still waiting for the BMW District Regional Mgr to give him info on the "trade assist" at the time I spoke to him. I was so MAD that I called the GM of the dealership on Saturday to ensure they knew how I felt about this situation.
My POINT is: BMW was made aware of the "potential" steering wheel vibration in Feb 2012. Obviously they didn't test my car between 40mph to 60mph. IF they had, they would have detected the defect. IF they had told me about the defect on the day of the sale, I would have KEPT my 328 convertible and NOT purchased my 2013 328. The dealership wouldn't have MADE MONEY on my convertible - I would have KEPT IT!!!! So offering me a 5 series at $500 over invoice is a SLAP in my face.

Yesterday my SA emailed me, asking to obtain my payoff. I'm hoping to hear from them today on what they are going to offer. IF it isn't to my liking, I'm walking away from BMW.

Can anyone else share with me what they've been offered in relation to a "Trade Assist?":mad::mad:
I got a 335i at invoice.

Was paying 600 a month for my 328. now paying 560 for the 335. Im happy with how my dealer has handled the situation.

#179 ·
Heard back from the GM this afternoon and BMWNA is offering up more of a discount and they won't charge me for mileage on my 2013 328. Ordered a 528 about to go into production with the same packages I ordered on my 328 - splurged on the Multi-contour seats. I'm very pleased with the offer.

FYI - the GM told me when he spoke to BMWNA that they have a "fix" and they will be shipping the parts to dealers to perform said fix. He told them that he didn't want to even discuss that fix with me since I've been put through so much trouble already.

BMW and Fields BMW in Lakeland were very fair with me - I'm a happy camper now.

#180 ·
I wouldn't say congratulations (since it would have been ideal that you didn't go through this whole vibration issue) but in any case I am glad that your are finally finding a good outcome for all your troubles!

When are you expecting to take delivery on the 5?

#187 ·
I will add +1 to Rick955. Picked up my 2013 335 xdrive almost a week ago. Have about 700 km (434 miles) on it No adaptive suspension and no vss. I cannot detect any wheel vibration. Should note that it came with the 18" all season Pirelli Cinturo P7's, but right from the dealer it has been riding on 17" Pirelli Sotozero II winter tires.

#189 ·
Honker, how does the car feel on the Sottozeros? Mine came with the 19" Potenza S000's and I love em... but I bought a set of Sottozero's on 18" rims and will soon be swapping them over. I got these because of the many good reviews not only for winter conditions, but for dry and wet performance as well. If I did have the vibration issue, I would have been interested to see if it went away after making the swap, but fortunately, that's not a concern now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.