BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 328i Steering Wheel Vibration

44K views 226 replies 55 participants last post by  328iM 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing a slight steering wheel vibration from 40-60mph in my new 328i. You can feel the small vibration with your hands on the wheel, but it becomes even more obvious when you take you hands off the wheel and see it moving on its own.

A few other people have posted about this issue, but I haven't seen any updates recently. I took mine in to the dealer last week and they balanced the tires. It was maybe a little better for a couple of days, but seems to be back full force now.

My car was an early May 2012 build. Did they resolve this issue in later builds? Has anyone gotten resolution on this issue?

#10 ·
Sorry I need to briefly highjack this thread...
Jlukja: What are your thoughts on the Adaptive M suspension with a no-line? I am thinking going that route, but wasn't sure if the option is not as interesting vs having it with a Sport Line...
Thanks for your comments!

#6 ·
Anyone having the same issue please post. This is very concerning to me because nothing pisses me off worse than steering wheel vibration. If my car has it and I can't get rid of it I will lemon the car. No excuse to have vibration on a 50k car.

#8 ·
And how do you know that? :dunno:
cheers
vern

#11 ·
I once had an Acura MDX with a persistent vibration. After multiple wheel balances, alignments, new rims, etc., I gave up and sold it with only 7,000 miles on it. My 1981 Celica (first car, paid $1,000 for it) didn't vibrate. There's NO reason any new car should vibrate, let alone the Ultimate Driving Machine.

#38 ·
+1 How does this get past engineers who are supposed to actually test all driving aspects of a reengineered car before stamping it with their approval? I can understand a faulty part (rim) issues during production, but any standard QC policy takes random samples for testing. Maybe BMW should try this instead of just driving them from the manufacturing floor to the boat! :confused:

#13 ·
2012 Sportline w/ 18" square setup shod with Conti SSR RFT's. Non VSS-equipped. Small, albeit persistent vibes since 500miles. Had the tires road-force balanced by the dealer and did not solve problem. Vibes are most noticeable at 50mph, but again, they are so minor that as long as they don't get worse, I will let it go.

It does seem to appear that for the most part, it has nothing to do with tires, VSS, Line/No-Line, etc... The root problem seems to be the ZF equipment. The only fix would be replacement of the entire steering box.

#21 ·
vss is the variable sport steering, adaptive suspension is the active dampeners

if you have the dynamic handling package for $1000 then you have both

#24 ·
This is well known issue for experienced technicians. Apart for balancing cause the other reason for vibration at these speeds is rim not matching hub diameter.
I guess rim manufacturer supplied BMW with out of spec rims.

It seems like new generation of service technicians needs instructions even for basics and BMW just released it for them. Ask your dealer to open following link on BMW intranet:

https://pumap.bmwgroup.com/puma/measure/get.do?oid=52131175&lin

Measure no.
51742297-02
Subject
Steering wheel torsional vibrations/vibrations at speeds of between
60 - 130 km/h
Release date (mm/dd/yy)
9/12/12
Status
Approved
Organization
V4-R1, CAR
Vehicles affected
E series
F20 F21 F30 F31
Engine Body
Production period (from/to)
(mm/dd/yy)
/
Comment on production period
Feedback (all cases relating t
measure up to) (mm/dd/yy)
Complaint
Customer complaints due to wheel-excited steering wheel torsional vibrations between 60-130 km/h.
Cause
Wheel/tyre combination/drive unit flange or wheel bearing
alloy wheel on the wheel hub outside tolerance
Measure
In the event of a customer complaint, work through the following procedure (before starting the procedu
the complete wheel must be tested for tyre pressure and damage):
Note: Check for flat spots. Rim check on balancing machine, max. 0.3 mm
radial run-out. Otherwise, replace the rim.
Please see the notes in the Repair Instructions 3610715.

Check the wheel centring of the light-alloy rim on the wheel hub. To do so, clean the contact surfaces
the wheel hubs and the light-alloy rims, and only slightly tighten the wheels. Using a feeler gauge at the
bottom position (see attachment 1), determine the maximum play. Play of 0.1 mm is still within the
permissible tolerance. Play of 0.15 mm would be outside the permissible tolerance.
If there are tolerance variations, the affected components (wheel bearing/drive unit flange) are to be
measured individually.
Nominal values for wheel bearing/drive unit flange: 72.47 mm - 72.50 mm (calliper gauge measuring
equipment )
If a component is not in the specification, contact technical support.
Have the following data ready.
- Tyre size:
- Tyre manufacturer:
- DOT:
- Rim styling
- Rim manufacturer (on the back):

#28 · (Edited)
This is well known issue for experienced technicians. Apart for balancing cause the other reason for vibration at these speeds is rim not matching hub diameter.
I guess rim manufacturer supplied BMW with out of spec rims.

It seems like new generation of service technicians needs instructions even for basics and BMW just released it for them. Ask your dealer to open following link on BMW intranet:

https://pumap.bmwgroup.com/puma/measure/get.do?oid=52131175&lin
Finally, a well informed response to an issue that seems to have affected a large number of F30s. Your information dismisses many other theories for the cause of steering wheel vibrations.
Thank you for sharing this information ! :thumbup:

I do know that BMW wheels are being produced in Austria and Italy. It would appear that the quality control of rim manufacture has slipped somewhere, perhaps one particular factory ?
From reading the various threads, I have yet to read of any M Sport owners complaining of steering wheel vibrations.

#39 ·
My CPO warranty has expired on my RS4 and I've been considering getting something different if I have any issues with reliability (so far, the RS has been pretty much bullet proof, knock on wood).

The 335 was high on my list, but I'll take it off my list until they get this issue worked out. Vibration is a huge pet peeve of mine as it totally ruins the driving experience, especially on long road trips.

#41 ·
My CPO warranty has expired on my RS4 and I've been considering getting something different if I have any issues with reliability (so far, the RS has been pretty much bullet proof, knock on wood).

The 335 was high on my list, but I'll take it off my list until they get this issue worked out. Vibration is a huge pet peeve of mine as it totally ruins the driving experience, especially on long road trips.
that is a very rush judgement IMO. No one will be more pissed than I if I have this vibration on my car but to say that I am dropping the 335i from my list of cars because some may experience this vibration is over reaction. I am getting my car in about a week or two and I am confident the problem is not there. if it is I will deal with it and if it persists I am going to lemon the car. Simple as that.

#46 · (Edited)
7000+ miles, no issues here.:thumbup:
cheers
vern

#44 ·
Yes, vibration on my 2012 F30 Sports Line - built on March, 2012. However, it only occurred when the car slows down and right before it completely stops on road, and it does not happen every time. I could obviously tell the vibration and it has been concerning me about the car safety issue.

#45 ·
So you feel the vibration while braking? That could be your front rotors being warped.

#48 ·
Spoke to my SA today and he said the car "should" be done today... I had a few other issues (PDC delay, passenger seat intermittently not moving forward and backward) and he said that a software update was being release TODAY or TOMORROW from BMW that addresses certain issues. I dunno if it was BS, but I'll inform everyone once I hear back later today.

#53 ·
Just want to chime in with my experience. I picked up my car (MY 2013 335i xDrive) this past week and drove it from PCD back home. It was about 700Miles. There was no steering wheel vibration whatsoever. The steering was dead straight. I traveled at no more than 83mph to keep it safe during the break-in period. I did notice one thing though, At higher speeds the car has a small shudder. I am convinced that it is due to the Run Flat Tires. Even though these are 3rd generation (i think) run flats, they still haven't perfected the comfort you get with the non-run flats. I have driven my friends bimmer with and though the run flats and saw the difference immediately. I am not sure if that's what some users are experiencing. Here is a quick run down of my setup. I have dynamic handling and its a sports line with paddle shifter so it has sport automatic 8-speed tranny. 18inch stock sport wheels with ContiSport All season tires and its xdrive. So in my judgement, I have no issues with the car or the steering wheel. If users are experiencing something other than this then it sure is an issue. It could be as minor as an adjustment or refinement but its still an issue as long as its noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.