BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tested out the new C Class today. Thoughts/Review....

5K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  AutoUnion 
#1 · (Edited)
Figure this is somewhat appropriate here, though the C Class isn't really a 5 Series cross shopper....

[caution: hyperbole click-bait style headline coming]

OR IS IT????

Okay, so I'm out of town right now, been covering the East and West Coast geography lately. Decided to check out the local BMW, Porsche and Mercedes dealerships.

I'll start with BMW's, which was so insanely busy that it felt like a zoo. 30 some odd salesmen yet none greeted me once (did get a "hello" from a busy one, and the receptionist girl a smile and "hello" but I think she just had a crush on me). It felt dangerously close to something like a Toyota or Nissan dealership. I'm just gonna credit that to the particular dealership and not BMW's morphing in general (hopefully that's the overall case).

In contrast to the Mercedes dealership, which was a ghost town and had an energy almost as dead as the stigma of the brands stereotyped demographic.

The modern Mercedes experience through the eyes of K-A:

I used to be filled with such glee when I saw a flock of Mercedes', I felt at home at their dealerships. The brands idiom was something I personally identified with. Maybe it's sour grapes (though sour from what, I don't know, Mercedes never screwed me over aside from screwing up what I liked so much about them), maybe I have some weird agenda against Mercedes that stems from something that doesn't benefit me in any tangible way, but walking into an array of Mercedes products just feels so.... dull. Sterile. Unattractive? It feels so "uncool", so past-tense. Their product line is such an unflattering sight, no harmony, and where there is, it's a flawed strategy that permeates through their lineup like a flu that each one has caught. I use "flu" hopefully as it'd mean it's something that could be rid, in due time. Knowing how Mercedes' drive, there's nothing exhilarating in the least about the concept of driving one, and to me, the designs tell you that when you look at them. They look like a flock of old timers, trying desperately to look young by holding up some glowsticks.

Which brings me to the C Class:

First glimpse, is the same as when I'd seen the car several times on the roads (corporate cars)....

Let me first say, that like ALL Mercedes, it makes THE WORST use of headroom space, as with a Pano roof, I had horrible room up there, and even with no sunroof, it was too tight. Unreal how poorly Mercedes is able to execute in headroom space. I'll chalk it up to a company who mastered boxy designs, going through longstanding growing pains when trying to apply modern sleek styles to their existing approaches.

EXTERIOR: Utterly horrible, IMO. At some angles, it looks like it's trying to capture the Audi A4 architecture. Not surprising, considering M-B's recent attempts at taking from many of their competitors' styling traits.

The exterior has a very good wheelbase-to-length ratio, even better than the 3 Series' (BMW invented the modern well-proportioned wheelbase-to-length ratio practically, as they do it so well), which says a lot. Similar to the F10 in concept being as to how like the F10, it leads its class in such a ratio.

Problem is, like all Mercedes' (to me), it executes it so awkwardly, and such an athletic pose doesn't flow with the more old-timey exterior. The car looks "squished" but not sporty, long, but not athletic. The lines, following all recent M-B's, is a discordant, go-nowhere dropping theme, that ads an anti-athlete look, and makes the whole profile look hard to comprehend.

For the record, I think it looks better in photos.

The rear, literally resizing the S Class, doesn't work for a car that's supposed to evoke a more youthful spirit.

The front of the car I drove had the ubiquitous and consistently overstated Star grille, but WITHOUT the "AMG Sport Package", and it looks downright hideous and fumbled. The hood cutline, the way it sloped downward, in an attempt to combine "futuristic" with "old fashioned" just made my stomach turn. The headlights, wearing M-B's clunky "squared off" new theme, looked equally as perplexing and dull. It's just a very in-cohesive and gawky look.

In fact, the whole car looks gawky. It looks like the previous C Class, squished down a little, thus stretched out more, and anorexic to the point where its bones are popping out and forms are looking funky.

The aluminum window trim even looks weird to me, it's hugely thick, thus not really gelling with the design, and not seamlessly "flared out" like BMW does theirs, it's just thick continuously through.

It's not a sexy design, IMO, it looks like a granny grocer getter, but trying really hard to be anything but that.

The "AMG" Sport Package one that I saw downstairs briefly, mended some of those issues in awkwardness, but did so at the expense of looking kind of amateurly boy-racer-ish to me.

To me, the F30 3 Series is a MUCH nicer, more athletic and well proportioned design. It's a more simple and wisely executed design, compared to the C Classes awkward, overtried look that just has no holistic qualities, IMO. The 3 Series is vastly more effortless.

INTERIOR: I sat in several different specs. One thing remained consistent: "Is this seriously what the 'lowly' C Class offers now?"

The highest spec is almost astonishing in its quality and luxurious touch, considering the horrid previous gen C Class interior (namely the utter POS pre-facelift) and the pretty bad F30 interior.

Stitched leather dash (only on top spec), nice surfaces everywhere, a somewhat classic Mercedes vibe (in the way you'd want, unlike their awkward attempts to mesh it in with the exterior) in all the right ways. The seats almost blew my mind to be in a C Class.

Even the (horridly cheaply afterthought/tacked on) standup screen was almost forgiven.

The steering wheel on the Sport model is extremely nice. The touch-controller atop the scrolling wheel is awesome and gives you too ways to do one thing (and looks cool and tastefully "futuristic", again, a rarity in M-B's mostly recent uneasy attempts at anything "futuristic").

The center console, being a one piece kind of "tacked on" wood surface I'm not crazy about, looks sort of cheap in theory, but it's pulled off well enough. The dash and its version of being "layered" looks overall nice to me as well. The circular air vents look good, and give a tastefully classic Mercedes vibe.

The I/C display, infotainment screen quality, etc. were all top notch. The gauges had some nice design touches as well (i.e it's not just a flat digital display with no tactile qualities like the S Class is).

In the lower spec, it still was an impressive interior. Surfaces now sans the stitching still looked and felt like nice plastic. The wheel still looks alright, etc.

The silver switches on the door have a very nice tactile feel. Much better than the 3 and in some ways, even the 5 (considering BMW uses fairly cheap widow switches, one of rare F10 downsides).

The biggest surprise to me is how seemingly EVERY C Class comes with those classy looking silver 'Burmeister" frontal speakers (a'la new S Class). Yes, they're a little too close to "Budweiser" and they can look gaudy to some, but to me they work well in a Mercedes.

The entire door panels look excellent, especially for this class of car.

Switches, etc. all felt good, or at least good enough.

Two notes:: 1- The car I drove was $50K! Since when did C Classes cost that? And it wasn't even the "AMG" Sport Package. Taking that into consideration, the interior seems a little bit less "out of its segments league" as it starts to encroach on 5 Series pricing.

2- What I really want to say is that "The 3 Series got left in the dust inside, while BMW totally screwed up the F30 interior, Mercedes made the C's about 4 generations ahead of the previous gen pre-facelift C Class interior, they outclassed BMW's interior and BMW should be having many peoples heads within their executive team right about now".

Being more diplomatic, I'll say: The F30's interior has a certain slight BMW charm (in M3 guise at least) when equipped perfectly, I guess you could say. It somewhat embodies the brands classic approach of a simple interior, not meant to coddle as much as it's meant to be teutonic, tactful and driver oriented so you can get down to business (DRIVING). It's spartan, it's to the point, it's much sportier than the C Classes interior.

On the flip-side, it's cheap in many ways, looks and feels vastly less luxurious than the C Class interior, and appears to be from an entirely different brand than the exceptional 5 Series and new X5 interiors.

Yes, BMW's and Mercedes' differences couldn't be any better identified than by their vastly different interior approaches here. Only thing is, Mercedes FINALLY, for the first time in a VERY long time (to me) nailed an interior for a respective segment to stand for Mercedes ideals. BMW didn't do it so well at all in the F30. And I'm being nice. I dunno, if I got an M3, I'd probably find a tactile simple and logical charm to my street race car interior, but if I had a 328i, I'd find much less redeeming qualities.

DRIVE:: This is where "Mercedes" is alway a "Mercedes", for better or worse. I drove the C300, which is the mid-line model. The motor felt peppy, you could have some fun with it. Not as ballsy as the 328i to me (which has the same HP on paper), but not as much of a downright slug with its balls cut off like the C250. The Sport Modes finally catch up to BMW (or get closer) in being true "Sport" modes, in that they change the character of the car. They're still more marketing driven in that they aren't as seriously engineered as BMW's Sport Mode (and nowhere near Porsche's PDK Sport Mode), but getting closer. What I DID love was the ability to MODIFY the settings under the "Individual" settings, something BMW doesn't do, at least not in the F10. If M-B was more serious about their driving dynamics, they'd add even more levels of tweakage to their Sport Mode modifiable settings, and have a real winner on their hands.

Drive felt quiet and comfortable, nothing out of the ordinary, but what you'd hope to expect from a Mercedes in this segment. A nice driving environment. Chassis felt nice and rigid, not the most "tank-like" drive I've felt, but solid enough. Mercedes' to me rarely drive as solidly as some competitors these days.

Another issue I have with Mercedes' these days is their chassis and suspension dynamics. The C was a definite improvement from the E Class (not a big feat), but the chassis still nowhere near as dialed in as a BMW or Porsche chassis. Hard turns were met with not that much fuss, like you'd have from the roly-poly E Class, but it wasn't as tight and balanced as a 3 Series. You could feel the chassis holding up, yet wanting to break a little loose.

The suspension was nice and supple, not floaty, but not too tight. A decent middle ground. Not the sportiest drive, not the cushiest, so a true enthusiast might find it a little too far "middle" to have a truly distinctive or definitive character, but it'll please the masses quite well in this regard. It's a car I'd be happy to beat around day in and day out, but something that wouldn't satisfy my enthusiast side.

CONCLUSION:

If you read through that entire thing, I think you get the picture right about now.

On one hand, it's the "same ole' same ole' lost Mercedes" to me. On the other, it's Mercedes changing the game by getting truly serious again, and giving BMW's bread and butter 3 a serious threat. HOWEVER, it also lessens the 3's bread and butter threat. Being that it looks both outside and inside more "luxury" seeking (which IMO works awkwardly at this size point) than sportily (while the previous gen was more sportily oriented in aesthetic) and the drive, while getting yet again closer, still to me wasn't as exciting or balanced as a 3, even the F30 which often gets derided by enthusiasts for "softening up".

To the point: The 3 is outclassed inside, by a massive margin, yet maintains its lead in design and driving dynamics, IMO. And you'd have to be INSANELY CRAZY to get a current E Class with its massacred flip-flop design over the new C.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did the ultimate drive at my local dealer last week and one of the cars I drove was a new C350. My observations mirror yours, the interior is indeed pretty nice, and the engine is pretty good. The thing that stuck out for me, though, was the transmission - it was just mediocre, nowhere near as good as the ZF 8 speed in the 435 I drove (and a version of which is also in my Jag).

#3 ·
Good point. Does it have the new 9 Speed? If so, underwhelming. The 7G Tronic was truly a terrible transmission. The C's transmission certainly didn't stand out, not as impressive as the ZF8 nor of course PDK.

#5 ·
I have been blown away by the pictures of the C-class interior and It was a frontrunner to replace my wife's A4. Its disappointing to hear about the exterior. Maybe it will be acceptable in darker colors which less accentuate the rear lines? In any case a test drive is in order.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I'd imagine the C400 vs. a 340i to be a real slugfest in the near future.

#10 · (Edited)
For 2015 MBZ is going with the C300 (2.0T) and C400 (3.0T) combination.

Since I am just 6ft tall, I have no issues with the pano roof feature. My wife loves the city lights sky view and I like the blacked out roof line which draws a nice color contrast with the rest of the vehicle.

She took my 2014 E350 now since the rattle is finally fixed. Now I get to drive the "older" 2013 F10 Hybrid :)

I just wish they will bring the E250 Bluetec with 9G. Diesels benefit from more cogs!

#12 · (Edited)
One thing I really do like about the W205 is how for the volume C300's, M-B is FINALLY charging a premium for the Sport Package again. Any self respecting premium brand should do that. M-B really withered away the presence and cachet of the "AMG" look IMO by offering it as the standard/free/ubiquitous look for the past 6 or so years. I like when a German manufacturer has their "boring normal trim" cars that are more classically elegant in approach, then their "Aggressive Sport Package" look for enthusiasts and those who want these mass market cars, but want them to stand out and say "I'm an enthusiast" amongst the crowd. One of the reasons that I got out of M-B was because it was impossible for my E Class to look the part when every old Joe/Jane who couldn't care less about a sporty look, had the exact same aesthetic as mine. When I had my W211 E Class, before the W212's, I enjoyed having a then-rare AMG Sport Package (they actually titled it "AMG Sport" at the time, not just "Sport", and gave you AMG exhaust tips with name carved and everything) as it stood out from other W211's.

Anyway, I'm hopeful to see M-B returning to that with the C. They obviously, once again, realized that BMW had it right all along, and followed suit. The M Sport Package would mean very little if every single BMW had it for free, and it wasn't a reasonably expensive enthusiast-driven option.

Another observation from the cars build tool: It has probably the most somber and "greyed" (boring) color pallet I've seen offered from a car. There are several shades of blacks/greys/silvers/whites.

#13 ·
Other observations:

I just spec'd out a C300 in the way I'd build it. Sport Package, Premium, HUD, leather, LED lighting, and it came out to $51,010. I even left out the Multimedia package (with Nav) that would add another $2,700 to the cost!

It's no wonder why the W205 raised the stakes in interior, as it also did in MSRP.

Considering I think that's an insane price for a 4 cylinder with 241 HP and a 7G transmission, I priced out a C400:

It comes out to a vastly better value at $53,605. Including Multimedia Package (Nav) it'd be $56,295.

They do offer you quite a bit for that price, and you actually get a real engine, I will say, but that's a pretty penny for a C Class. Again, it really gets me curious as to what they're gonna do with the next E Class.

#15 ·
They do offer you quite a bit for that price, and you actually get a real engine, I will say, but that's a pretty penny for a C Class. Again, it really gets me curious as to what they're gonna do with the next E Class.
Market shift

2014 S-class moved up since Maybach is killed
2015 C-class moved closer to E's old market
2014 CLA takes the entry C's market aka "my first Benz"

Next Gen E is last car to be re-positioned ... :thumbup:

Even the ML will be renamed to GLE with line up like GLA < GLK < GLE < GL < G

#18 ·
I checked out a Genesis. I do think it's a better package than almost anything Japanese, but nowhere near German quality, attractiveness in detail design feel or look or workmanship. It felt more like a gussied up Accord than a gussied down 5 Series. Compared to a 3 it's a different story, but it's still less attractive outside and not as dynamic a drive.

For example, the steering wheel and look alone in the Genesis was really unattractive.

#19 ·
K-A, I know you from mbworld, yes? I drove the W205 also - nice car. I just leased a 2014 528ix today, the incentives on the closeout 2014 cars were just too good to pass up. I like the W205, but I think its pricey and Mercedes doesn't deal on them. So for now, I will stay in this 528iX lease for 3 years and see what happens in the Benz lineup - the new E is coming, the modular engines and the coming I6 motor that replaces the V6s. Too much churn in the MB lineup the next 2-3 years, and the new C isn't cheap and although bigger than the W204, you really don't notice any large increase in usable interior space. That's not to say the W205 isn't a nice car, it is, but I will wait it out and see what happens in the Benz lineup over the next few years.

#21 ·
Yep, same me. :D

Nice, I can imagine the deals going out right now. Yeah, no deals on W205 for a while. I agree, M-B is going through some big changes/growing pains and it always feels like with each model, they change so much, you want to wait and see if the "next one" has completed the cycle. Personally, I like slow and focused changes to winning design strategies, evolutionary, as I feel it protects a brands cachet and product value. Mercedes is far from that approach right now, but I'm interested to see how they hone it in.

Yes, indeed, the W205 interior felt a tight to me. Narrow (compared to what I'm used to) which is fine unless you need or like the width, and very cramped roofline (for me). M-B has gone from one of the best in usable space, to the worst. I feel it's an issue in their growing pains between trying to let their design team lead the way (which isn't working out well, IMO) and put the engineering guys on the following agenda.

Thanks for your comprehensive review. :thumbup:

Hmmm, after fours Bimmers in a row, I'm starting to feel the same way when I visit a BMW dealership. I'm now looking at Mercedes with some excitement. In fact, three of my top five candidates to replace my primary ride are Benzs. BMW's only candidate on my list is the Alpina B6x, which technically isn't a BMW anymore. :yikes:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :thumb up:

Hmm, hope that isn't a trend. I mean, there are elegant and classy BMW I've gone to lately as well, but this one just made me feel like I was in a Nissan dealership. The dealership itself is very large and "nice" in a big volume store way, but what was happening inside reminded me of Nissan dealerships, down to the girl with her parents on her Smartphone while they negotiated for what might have been her first (or second or third) car. All that was missing was the popcorn dispensers (a Nissan thing for those of you who haven't slummed by your local Nissan dealership lately).

Visiting the Porsche dealership afterward with what was apparently one of the first 911's ever produced on display, next to a bunch of newer models, was like a breath of fresh air.

Honestly, if I could fit into a 640i Gran Coupe (I can into the M6 GC due to the CF roof, but there are i$$ues otherwise) I'd probably find the lowest mileage, best priced 2014 CPO model and call it a day. It seems to walk the finest line of what I want, save for price (which would pin it against the Macan for a tough running between the two, except the 6 will get massive discounts while the Macan won't, a point for the Macan in grace and cachet and a point for the 6 in potential dealing benefits).

#20 ·
Thanks for your comprehensive review. :thumbup:

I used to be filled with such glee when I saw a flock of Mercedes', I felt at home at their dealerships. The brands idiom was something I personally identified with. Maybe it's sour grapes (though sour from what, I don't know, Mercedes never screwed me over aside from screwing up what I liked so much about them), maybe I have some weird agenda against Mercedes that stems from something that doesn't benefit me in any tangible way, but walking into an array of Mercedes products just feels so.... dull. Sterile. Unattractive? It feels so "uncool", so past-tense. Their product line is such an unflattering sight, no harmony, and where there is, it's a flawed strategy that permeates through their lineup like a flu that each one has caught. I use "flu" hopefully as it'd mean it's something that could be rid, in due time. Knowing how Mercedes' drive, there's nothing exhilarating in the least about the concept of driving one, and to me, the designs tell you that when you look at them. They look like a flock of old timers, trying desperately to look young by holding up some glowsticks.
Hmmm, after fours Bimmers in a row, I'm starting to feel the same way when I visit a BMW dealership. I'm now looking at Mercedes with some excitement. In fact, three of my top five candidates to replace my primary ride are Benzs. BMW's only candidate on my list is the Alpina B6x, which technically isn't a BMW anymore. :yikes:

#24 ·
K-A:

Before I purchased my LCI 5 Series I test drove and researched the C and E Class MBs. The dealership close to me is very well run. My neighbors who use them have been very happy with sales and service.

One neighbor has an E-350 and another has a C-300. I've driven them both and love the materials and finish of the cars. Both quite luxurious even though the C-300 LOOKS a bit sportier. These cars and multiple test drives at the dealer always left me with "what a handsome car it is feeling". Lacked the sport I wanted. The leatherette MB uses must be the best out there- thought it was real and for those that want low maintenance I can see why people like it.

Very great looking cars, but handing was lacking and fun to drive factor was lacking. I would push the sport mode button and would feel no difference.

Easy decision for me to go with the 5 Series.

I do think that the MB symbol carries more snob appeal and people who are seeking pure luxury and trying to impress their neighbors will go with this brand. The BMW brand carries a bit less snob appeal in my opinion, but truly is for people that love to drive first and be in a luxurious environment second. We'd rather impress ourselves than the neighbors. ;-)

I've never driven the AMG versions so I can't comment on those models.

K-A, I need to compliment you on your writing skills. Your post was good enough for a car magazine.

I do have to say I'm usually impressed with the posts here at Bimmerfest: lack of typos, spelling errors, etc. If one goes to some other forums the writing is atrocious!

#25 ·
K-A:

Before I purchased my LCI 5 Series I test drove and researched the C and E Class MBs. The dealership close to me is very well run. My neighbors who use them have been very happy with sales and service.

One neighbor has an E-350 and another has a C-300. I've driven them both and love the materials and finish of the cars. Both quite luxurious even though the C-300 LOOKS a bit sportier. These cars and multiple test drives at the dealer always left me with "what a handsome car it is feeling". Lacked the sport I wanted. The leatherette MB uses must be the best out there- thought it was real and for those that want low maintenance I can see why people like it.

Very great looking cars, but handing was lacking and fun to drive factor was lacking. I would push the sport mode button and would feel no difference.

Easy decision for me to go with the 5 Series.

I do think that the MB symbol carries more snob appeal and people who are seeking pure luxury and trying to impress their neighbors will go with this brand. The BMW brand carries a bit less snob appeal in my opinion, but truly is for people that love to drive first and be in a luxurious environment second. We'd rather impress ourselves than the neighbors. ;-)

I've never driven the AMG versions so I can't comment on those models.

K-A, I need to compliment you on your writing skills. Your post was good enough for a car magazine.

I do have to say I'm usually impressed with the posts here at Bimmerfest: lack of typos, spelling errors, etc. If one goes to some other forums the writing is atrocious!
Thank you very much sir! I appreciate that. Would be fun to write for those mags. :D I guess keeping it a hobby is a good thing.

Yeah, the crowd here on BF is the best online forum crowd. At least the F10 section.

#27 ·
I am writing with some background on M-B and BMW. I have owned both. M-Bs included C-class, E-Class and S-Class. In our family we have two E350s, a 2009 and a 2014, both wagons. On the BMW side we have a 2008 E61 and a 2014 F10 (535)(mine) and have had over the years 3's, 5's, a 7 and two 850s. My wife drives a Mercedes wagon (we both wish BMW would bring the F11 to the US). I agree with the comparisons that have been made above and will add some additional ones:

1. Styling - I will not comment too much on styling as this varies too much and is even more subjective than the other issues flagged. For a time I was driving MBs because the Bangle-butted E60s were such an incredible turn off. Now I think things have flipped and the 5's are much better looking than E classes. But as I said this is purely subjective.

2. Electronics. Even my wife, who loves her E350 wagon, concedes that the BMW electronics are far easier to manage than the MB. This after we all complain about iDrive complexity and glitches.

3. Safety. They are comparable. The MB has more aggressive interventionist safety features that will take over, moving the wheel, for example. The BMW is more informational, leaving to the driver how to react. The F10 has heads up display, which I consider a key safety feature and MB did not offer that in the E350 we bought.

4. Interior ergonomics (seats, etc). A draw.

5. Handling and performance: My wife once said "I would rather be a passenger in a Mercedes but I would rather drive a BMW". Doesn't that sum it all up?

#28 · (Edited)
I keep wanting to like a Mercedes. But there's very little about their current generation that feels German and much more that feels very marketing driven. They seem to be moving into a "faux" direction with lots of sporty styling accents that suggests an incongruity as compared to the underlying vehicle. These comments are more addressed to the current E Class, which is the last car of theirs that I drove.

My one hope is that BMW will step up the interior quality of the F30 soon. I agree that it has fallen way behind the competition.

#29 ·
I agree, M-B has become so "faux" in essence and marketing driven, that there doesn't seem to be a focus on substance as much as fluff there. After they fell behind in worldwide luxury sales to not only BMW but Audi, they started really getting desperate, and aggressive in all the wrong ways, IMO.

BMW on the other hand made a great F30, IMO, however the interior looks too clearly cost cut. Mercedes obviously called their bluff in that regard and for the first time in a long time, didn't copy/follow BMW and actually went their own way (for the better).

Between the two I still prefer the F30 as with the M Sport package (and of course especially "M3 package") it just looks and drives better, but the C's interior if for a similar price as an F30 makes it really compelling to choose it. The F30 also makes much better use of its interior space. IMO it comes down to engineering vs fluff again, with the F30 shining in the former, and the C in the latter.

Makes the next gen of 5 vs E seem really interesting. Though BMW still holding such a foothold in the interior department means their dynamics are much different. The W212 has the "F30" interior between the two, and it's clear that M-B are gonna do something pretty crazy with the next E interior (unless they drop the ball again). BMW on the other hand don't have to do much to keep the next 5 at the pinnacle of segment interior, they just have to actually put some effort in and properly improve on a winning aspect. I wonder if BMW will get caught resting on their laurels and M-B will run past the next 5 in interior, or if BMW will shut them out again by ensuring what the F10 started in interior quality doesn't get surpassed by the next E.

#30 ·
Thanks for the thorough review, great perspective. Just last week I drove a friends 2013 C63 AMG. I realize your test drive was a non-AMG model, but I shared many of your sentiments for the features that are shared between the two models. If I can add anything, it is this: the naturally aspirated V8 is damn impressive. I particularly enjoyed the sound. As refined as it is, the C63 felt so much more raw and powerful than what I am used to with my 550. These are all beautiful machines with their own set of strengths. I'm not sure it got me thinking MB for my next purchase, but I'm absolutely thinking about an M car for my daily driver.

#35 ·
To the point: The 3 is outclassed inside, by a massive margin, yet maintains its lead in design and driving dynamics, IMO. And you'd have to be INSANELY CRAZY to get a current E Class with its massacred flip-flop design over the new C.
MB has never been the sport sedan that BMW has been, MB knows where it needs to be and that is the luxury that BMW will have, whether it is in the 3 series class or 7 series class. The interior of the MY15 C class is nicer then the current F30 and it can stay that way. But for a C class to be 50K and not fully loaded, wonder what a C400 will go for, MB is reaching past the F30..

#44 ·
OK, the new C-class(even with sport) lost me at the first turn out of the parking lot. It is definitely MB ride quality, but is a major deviation from the outgoing C-class. BMW should have no problem holding on its core customer base, although those seeking for richly appointed interior may opt for a C-class over the F30(or maybe even over F10). The most unfortunate part of the whole C-class is the rear end, the tapered design looks like MB runs out of sheet metal on the assembly line or something.

#45 · (Edited)
OK, the new C-class(even with sport) lost me at the first turn out of the parking lot. It is definitely MB ride quality, but is a major deviation from the outgoing C-class. BMW should have no problem holding on its core customer base, although those seeking for richly appointed interior may opt for a C-class over the F30(or maybe even over F10). The most unfortunate part of the whle C-class is the rear end, the tapered design looks like MB runs out of sheet metal on the assembly line or something.
Yeah it's very old-man-ish this time around, the whole design and ambiance. I think that's fitting for MB, though not something I'd want in my garage or to drive. However the Sport package looks like they mashed in boy racer elements, it's like they gave the old chap some "Molly" and let him go crazy. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.