BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infiniti G37 to start at $34,250 with 330hp

24K views 390 replies 81 participants last post by  Emission 
#1 ·
#3 ·
if I have to read another post about this comparison, I might as well throw the damn computer out the window....man, get your damn G37 then and stop talking about it....sick an tired of it....

#8 · (Edited)
sounds like a pretty good deal to me at that price. Pressure is up on BMW - and the situation is probably exacerbated by the Euro to $ (declining) exchange rate!

Here are the specs (only for the curious minded - not that we would want to do anything with it)

2008 Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe

When it was first introduced in 2003, the G Coupe redefined the luxury coupe segment with its unique, powerful blend of stirring performance, gripping exterior style and a sporty, cockpit-like interior. The second-generation G Coupe makes an even greater impact on the marketplace with a sleek exterior and aggressive stance that features taut, athletic, contoured lines suggestive of the 330-horsepower 3.7-liter VQ-series V6 with VVEL technology beneath its hood.

Inside, Infiniti levels of craftsmanship are apparent throughout the all-new interior design, including the use of unique materials and finishes with traditional Japanese design cues. The new G Coupe also includes an extensive list of available technological features ***8211; Infiniti Navigation System with touch-screen XM NavTraffic® real-time traffic function (requires XM® subscription, sold separately), RearView Monitor and an available 11-speaker Infiniti ***8220;Studio on Wheels***8221;***8482; by Bose® audio system with 24-bit Burr Brown DAC, 3-way door speaker arrays with 10-inch woofers and 9.3GB Music Box hard drive.

Highlights of the 2008 G37 Coupe include:
- All-new exterior design featuring seductive and muscular shapes, including flowing front fender lines with low silhouette roofline, strong side character lines and side sills, wave-form hood
- Aggressive zero-lift front end styling with smooth front fascia, integrated fog lamps and double-arch grille
- Standard rear underbody air diffusers
- New 18-inch or 19-inch wheel and tire packages
- Unique front fascia and side sills on G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
- New 3.7-liter VVEL 24-valve DOHC V6 producing 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque
o Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) intake camshafts, incorporated with the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allows for 7,600 RPM redline
o Ram air dual intake, equal length exhaust manifold and dual exhaust system with laser-welded rear mufflers produce an authentic performance sound
- Rear Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) on G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model
- Available Infiniti 4-Wheel Active Steer (4WAS) (optional feature available on G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model) ***8211; includes adjustable geometry rear suspension and automatically variable front steering ratio
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) with Preview Braking
- Performance-oriented Sport Brakes with 14-inch rotors with 4-piston front calipers and 13.8-inch rotors with 2-piston rear calipers with ***8220;Infiniti***8221; lettering (G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
- New 10-spoke 19x8.5-inch front wheels and 225/45WR19 front tires and 19x9-inch rear wheels with 245/40WR19 rear tires (available on G37 Coupe Journey, standard on G37 Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
- Driver-oriented interior with luxurious passenger space
- Sport-styled seats with thigh extensions, driver***8217;s power adjustable torso and thigh bolsters and aluminum pedals (G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
- Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition
- Available 11-speaker Infiniti ***8220;Studio on Wheels***8221;***8482; by Bose® audio system with 24-bit Burr Brown DAC, 3-way door speaker arrays with 10-inch woofers
- Available Infiniti Navigation System with available XM NavTraffic® with real-time traffic information and touch screen technology (requires XM® subscription, sold separately)
- Available voice activation for navigation, audio and HVAC functions
- 9.3GB Music Box hard drive for digital music storage and playback
- Digital automatic temperature control with standard micro filtration and rear floor heater vents, available dual HVAC control with available center rear air conditioning vents (not available on Sport 6MT model)

Infiniti Announces Pricing on 2008 G37 Coupe [Aug. 1, 07]

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Aug. 1, 2007) ***8211; Infiniti today announced pricing on the all-new 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe, which goes on sale August 21 at Infiniti retailers nationwide. The Manufacturer***8217;s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starts at $34,250 for the rear-wheel drive 330-horsepower 3.7-liter V6-equipped 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe (with 5-speed automatic transmission); $35,000 for Infiniti G37 Coupe Journey model (with 5-speed automatic transmission); and $35,550 for the G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model (with close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission).

The all-new G37 Coupe offers significant enhancements over the previous generation Infiniti G Coupe, including the first-ever application of the new, more powerful 3.7-liter V6 engine with VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift). This new engine is backed by a choice of an upgraded electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with available paddle shifters or a significantly revised and more refined 6-speed manual transmission.

The dramatic new G37 Coupe retains the previous G35 Coupe***8217;s position as one of the top sports coupes in the segment, while elevating its performance, style, features and technology to the next level,***8221; said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti.

The G37 Coupe***8217;s enhanced platform and chassis also includes an available advanced 4-Wheel Active Steer system (4WAS), which helps improve vehicle handling performance by adjusting both the front steering gear ratios and the rear suspension geometry according to steering input and vehicle speed. Braking and handling is targeted to be among the best in the luxury sport coupe class.

These advanced performance systems are wrapped in an all-new seductive exterior design with Infiniti***8217;s signature double-arch grille, L-shaped headlights, broad rear fenders, large LED taillights and performance-oriented wheel and tire packages.

The 2008 G37 Coupe***8217;s all-new interior design includes an extensive list of available technological features such as a touch screen navigation system with XM® NavTraffic***8482; real-time traffic function (requires XM® subscription, sold separately), RearView Monitor and an available 11-speaker Infiniti ***8220;Studio on Wheels***8221;***8482; by Bose® audio system with 24-bit Burr Brown DAC, 3-way door speaker arrays with 10-inch woofers and a 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive.

A number of options and equipment packages are also available, including moonroof ($1,000), Premium Package ($3,200), Sport Package ($1,850), Navigation Package ($2,200), Technology Package ($1,150), Performance Tire and Wheel Package ($650), rear spoiler ($550), 4-Wheel Active Steer Package ($1,300) and wood trim ($450).

Full pricing and option information is available on the attached sheet.

Infiniti offers a full-line of luxury performance automobiles, including the G sports coupe and sedan, the M luxury performance sedan, FX premium crossover SUV, and the QX full-size luxury SUV. More information about Infiniti and its total ownership experience can be found at Infiniti.com.
# # #

#10 ·
There is something called 'status'. $20,000 more to get some of it is fine by me. I have a $300 Casio watch that runs circles around my $6,000 Rolex. It's still a $300 Casio and is only worn when I'm cleaning the garage.

BJ

#11 ·
Speak for yourselves. I care (because I'm interested in all makes of cars) and I'm sure there are others here who care as well. Competition is a good thing for BMW or any other company, and while I am not a big fan of the car, it's a given that lots of people cross-shop between BMW and Infiniti - making this post perfectly justified here.

Bottom line, if you don't like reading these kinds of posts... don't. The title was VERY clear and you didn't have to click on it to know what this thread was about. You guys don't own this forum, and your replies certainly aren't 'bringing the community together' by any means.

Thanks for the link, Janky...

--SONET

#19 ·
Speak for yourselves. I care (because I'm interested in all makes of cars) and I'm sure there are others here who care as well. Competition is a good thing for BMW or any other company, and while I am not a big fan of the car, it's a given that lots of people cross-shop between BMW and Infiniti - making this post perfectly justified here.

Bottom line, if you don't like reading these kinds of posts... don't. The title was VERY clear and you didn't have to click on it to know what this thread was about. You guys don't own this forum, and your replies certainly aren't 'bringing the community together' by any means.

Thanks for the link, Janky...

--SONET
Finally, someone intelligent enough to recognize that this isn't an Infiniti-promotion post :thumbup:

Competition is good, it just means better products and hopefully more competitive prices for customers

#14 ·
M3 looks:

Unique front fascia and side sills on G37 Coupe Journey with Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT

#36 ·
BJ:

It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I think you've succeeded in that already :thumbs:
No, it's better to have more money than God and be so comforted by that fact that you can spout off in a discussion forum without a care in the world what you look like to others, Whopperboy.

BJ

#50 ·
holy ****, i have to say, i am utterly amazed by some of the replies on this thread, some of you people are are so stuck up is disturbing.

i'm boltjames, look at me now, i drive a bmw, its overpriced and i paided even more for some extra options so everybody can see how rich i am. look at my ROLEX! its a ROLEX man! $6000!! my status is SOOOO much higher than yours. you poor folks can only afford an infiniti, what losers, can't pony up the extra 20 grand for the BMW. i MUST let everybody know how rich i am and how much better i am. STATUS!! STATUS!! look at my STATUS!!

#54 ·
Lol, cool. I just bought a 335coupe on ED and it cost ALMOST the same surprisingly. When you cheapen the car so the masses can buy it, it becomes common. This leads to dullness, and boringness. I bought my car because it is unique and rare. I WORKED hard for it. I don't make 300k a year, but I enjoy the things I know I worked very hard for. This is one of them. If you had a choice to have mediocre/fair or to have the absolute best, who wouldn't choose the absolute best if that chance were given...?

#55 ·
In 1990 I sold Acuras for a summer job.

The NSX was new, and it cost $60,000. One day a customer came on the lot and asked how Acura could ask $60,000 for the 270-hp NSX when Nissan was only asking $30,000 for the 300-hp 300ZX Turbo... the Z was faster, and it had more standard features including HICAS 4-wheel steering (or something like that) and the NSX did not.

I was 23 at the time, and I didn't know what to say to him. Objectively, he was right.

Now, I am 39. I realize it is not an objective argument - it is subjective, and the NSX was a much better car.

G37 vs. 335i. Only the vehicles have changed...

#59 ·
My thought is FANTASTIC! Personally, I'd never consider the G37. But the G37 is still considered a 3 series competitor. So the G37 price and features keep BMW on its toes. Competition is good, and should not be feared unless your company puts out a crappy overpriced product.

#64 ·
From a current Infiniti owner....

First post here, and never thought it would be in a thread like this....

After owning 3 BMWs in a row (E36 M3, E39 540i, E39 M5), two years ago I decided to go with an Infiniti M45. Pricing was certainly a factor (it was less than half the lease payment of the reasonably equipped E60 M5 I was considering) but I was also wowed by the huge amount of gadgets that it came with. I'm an early-adopter gadget freak, and the Japanese simply do electronics better than the Germans.

However, once the newness of the interior and gadgets wore off, I realized that I just wasn't having fun driving the car. It is a fantastic value with a lot of fantastic features, but when it comes to driving it is not a BMW. I also get a ride in my friend's 2005 G35 coupe at least 3 times a week and in my opinion that is several notches below the M45.

To make a long story short, I'm picking up my E93 335i in Munich this December, and my friend is picking up a E90 335i on the same date. I simply can't WAIT to get back in the BMW fold....

-Dave

#104 ·
First post here, and never thought it would be in a thread like this....

After owning 3 BMWs in a row (E36 M3, E39 540i, E39 M5), two years ago I decided to go with an Infiniti M45. Pricing was certainly a factor (it was less than half the lease payment of the reasonably equipped E60 M5 I was considering) but I was also wowed by the huge amount of gadgets that it came with. I'm an early-adopter gadget freak, and the Japanese simply do electronics better than the Germans.

However, once the newness of the interior and gadgets wore off, I realized that I just wasn't having fun driving the car. It is a fantastic value with a lot of fantastic features, but when it comes to driving it is not a BMW. I also get a ride in my friend's 2005 G35 coupe at least 3 times a week and in my opinion that is several notches below the M45.

To make a long story short, I'm picking up my E93 335i in Munich this December, and my friend is picking up a E90 335i on the same date. I simply can't WAIT to get back in the BMW fold....

-Dave
Which is a nice, articulate, carefully-worded way of saying:

"Driving a BMW makes me feel special and superior to others, and even though I was driving a car that was a better value, had more power, and had more features, it wasn't a BMW and I felt less important. So much so, that I felt the need to get another BMW as fast as I could."

There is nothing wrong with admitting the truth. 90% of BMW owners in the US feel the exact same way.

BJ

#69 · (Edited)
It happens that I own an Infiniti FX35, and I have also placed an order for an BMW 335i coupe(end of October delivery, hopefully)

So I will have both!

I love my FX and I find it better than BMW X5, but at the same time I find the 335i coupe better than the G37 coupe...

The FX will be my familly car, very comfy and luxurios, but the 335i coupe would be just for me :bigpimp:

#71 ·
Price difference is undeniable. The new G37 costs considerably less than a similarly equipped 335i

Your thoughts?
A 335i Euro Delivery starts around a similar $35k...

When they make an Infinity that I can pick up in Europe and can drive on the Nurburgring, I'll certainly consider it... I mean, I paid under $41k for my 335i, equipped precisely the way I want it, had a fabulous vacation driving it around Europe, and as the ultimate thrill took it for a few laps around the Ring.

Now when I think about the car I always get the rush of these memories back. If you buy an Infinity in a US showroom, what are you going to remember about the moment? The clean tiles? Or perhaps the nice muzak playing? :dunno:

#74 ·
These threads are fun. I wonder what the next topic will be that will erect great controversy in the great land of E90enthusiasts.com

Suggestions:

1.) Should I buy my 18 year old a 335i with PROcede?
2.) Drove a 335i - was boring.
3.) Magazine rates Infiniti best car choice
4.) Auto better than Manual?
5.) Why the 3-series is for old people
6.) Why you're not an enthusiast

#75 ·
Congrats to infinity for holding the line, it is a sweet deal for the price. I still like my 335i, which I think is a better car in both performance and gas mileage(+3-4mpg). But I expect quite a few buyers will opt for the G37, and be happy with it, instead as the performance gap is not very wide.

#79 ·
did anyone actually do the math? If you want a infinity similarly equiped as the 335i (assuming you put navigation, sport package, premium package, Ipod, sirus) to the mix, versus, the infinity at its base price, plus navigation, sportspackage, technology package, premium package, "wood trim", sports wheels, moon roof, you are paying a grand total of about 1500 less than the BMW.. WHAT HUGE savings that is.. Please keep in mind, these cars are similar in performance, and similar price.. BMW incororates more in their "package" and it seems like you have to purchase more options with the infinit, all in all, both great cars, both infinit and BMW have similar performance.. so being a Badge WHORE makes no sense, and BJ, seriously dude... Get a clue.. if your messuring your "Class" by the things that you own, then you got more issues than sports illustrated, maxium magazine and stuff put together... Lets just say it as it is, both cars are HOT and I would certainly not mind either of them in my drive-way. The only rason infinit doesnt get some respect is because A, this is a bimmer forum, and B, because its alot newer in the Car industry than the "mature" stature of the BMW.. All in all great cars both! end of rant, and hopefuly end of all the pretentious bull**** from some of you.. grow up and get a life, there is more to the world than your rolex and Bmw....

#112 ·
.. so being a Badge WHORE makes no sense, and BJ, seriously dude... Get a clue.. if your messuring your "Class" by the things that you own, then you got more issues than sports illustrated, maxium magazine and stuff put together... Lets just say it as it is, both cars are HOT and I would certainly not mind either of them in my drive-way. The only rason infinit doesnt get some respect is because A, this is a bimmer forum, and B, because its alot newer in the Car industry than the "mature" stature of the BMW.. All in all great cars both! end of rant, and hopefuly end of all the pretentious bull**** from some of you.. grow up and get a life, there is more to the world than your rolex and Bmw....
Again, if you are so secure in yourself that you don't need some pricey niceties to help you with your ego, I'm envious of you. Some of us, dare I say most of us, need this type of status symbol and that's our motivation for buying an E93.

An Infinity, no matter how nice looking, won't get the "oohs" and "aahs" that a BMW will. Not even close. For a 25 year old, sure, might do the trick on performance and features. For the BMW's target audience of a 45 year old halfway through his career, an Infinity merely draws the old "ah, he's not doing that well now is he?" routine. That's what happens when you buy a value brand. Especially in a luxury market.

BJ

#80 · (Edited)
I am considering both the 335i and the G37 so have been lurking around BMW and Infiniti forums to get a feel for what folks think about their cars. So far I have learned that if you own a BMW you are an "enthusiast" while owning any other car makes you a car-owner. And while the BMW "enthusiast" doesn't truly care about status, one poster here had to incidentally point out that he had a Rolex in his very first response to the OP.

I will be the first to admit that, yes, status does have an influence in what I will drive, which is probably partly the reason that I bought my first BMW. That is also the reason someone will get a Lexus versus a Toyota, an Infiniti versus a Nissan, a BMW 7 series versus a 5 series, etc. Envy and striving for the house/car/watch/pair-of-shoes/etc. that is better than what you currently have is what makes the world go around.

Doug

#85 ·
I am considering both the 335i and the G37 so have been lurking around BMW and Infiniti forums to get a feel for what folks think about their cars. So far I have learned that if you own a BMW you are an "enthusiast" while owning any other car makes you a car-owner. And while the BMW "enthusiast" doesn't truly care about status, one poster here had to incidentally point out that he had a Rolex in his very first response to the OP.

I will be the first to admit that, yes, status does have an influence in what I will drive, which is probably partly the reason that I bought my first BMW. That is also the reason someone will get a Lexus versus a Toyota, an Infiniti versus a Nissan, a BMW 7 series versus a 5 series, etc. Envy and striving for the house/car/watch/pair-of-shoes/etc. that is better than what you currently have is what makes the world go around.

Doug
BMW will have more snobby car owners than Infiniti and most of the other makers guaranteed. Like it or not, a few grand of every BMW sold is paying for the name alone. Any time a name sells something, it will draw in people who are looking for status or recognition or attention or whatever else. This doesn't discredit that some really buy the car because they either enjoy it or are true enthusiasts. Not to mention there's plenty who can afford it and simply like it so it's nothing more than a logical choice to them.

Maybe the status of what I drive is irrelevant to me because I'm more into motorcycles. I always view cars as second class citizens when comparing to the awesomeness of what motorcycles are to me. It's a joke to me to see a Corvette or M3 pull up next to me at a light and try to race me on my $7500 motorcycle (bought used). So I might guess that if I wasn't into motorcycles, I would care more about cars...but to me it's nice to spend less than $10k and beat out even $100k cars.

I must admit that I have developed attitude as a motorcycle racer though (gotta be fair, right?) I watch and sometimes go up against some of the fastest guys on bikes in the midwest...when someone on the street rolls up and "wants to go", it's almost boring to even consider it. Riding on the track does make you look down upon the folks who race on the street. That attitude from me is not ok, just hard to help it! ;)

#88 ·
Drive them back to back - it's just an unexplainable thing - the Infinity is probably better in many ways on paper more reliable, but it just fells like a Japanese car - better than most, but kinda just over refined - they take too much of the experience out of driving. Granted the new e9x has gone that way compared to the e46 in my book, but it still drives so much better and with the addition of the new twin turbo it just doesn't compare in my book. The G37 is a good deal for the money, but if it was me I would scrimp and save every penny to get the 335 over it - it's worth more in my book (just wish I didn't actually have to pay more!)

#96 · (Edited)
HI all, this is my first post. I couldn't help myself with this thread. I am a proud BMW enthusiast. I own a e90-330 and a e91-328XiT (for winter). Theses cars are charismatic. When I look and drive my cars, I just feel great. My previous rides were: Audi B5-S4 (chipped), Toyota 4Runner Limited V8, Honda Prelude (98-SH and 95 SR-V). I was also 2nd on a wait list for the fabulous RS4 @ 95kCDN here in Canada (Bought almost two bimmers instead) . One day a friend of mine came to my house and he just had bought a e90-330. He handed me the keys. I couldn't beleive how this ride was fiting with my personality. What happened that knight, I had a dream about this car. The next day, I had no choice to cancel the Audi and order a e90 with all the options. Today I am a very happy owner (beside that the 335 came out 9 months later) and every single day I realise the effort that BMW has spent in realizing this piece of engineering. Some may disagree with me, but nothing inside out of this car agresses me. Its perfect. The interior is just convivial. Every single button is just at the right place, they study ergonomics. And when you press them, they are delightful to use (they don't put them all on the same square). One other thing to consider, is that after years the car always stay flawless. The disign is timeless. Another important thing is that Japanes cars (with all do respect) alway tend to bend (the fake frame, the sheets...) with time. German cars just stay solid as a rock. This is also the difference beside going out with a nice girl and a great woman (De la grande classe!). But there's a price to pay ;-)

That is my feeling and also my 2cents.

Regards.

Stephan

#89 ·
Oh and with your Chevy Aveo argument that fails in the car being in a different class. The G37 and 335 are in the same class and perform pretty much equally on the track. Similar engines, suspension, packages available, etc...and they are in the same class. In the end, the performance for us average drivers can be considered identical. A second or two difference on a track between either car by pro drivers is meaningless to us...that makes them the same. The difference is strictly personal. Do you enjoy the drive of the 335 better? If you do, is it worth the extra cost? Answer yes to both of those and there's your choice.

There's no shortage of folks who also buy because the numbers are better for some given car. Someone is going to buy the 335 because it has a faster quarter mile time than the 37, and someone else will buy the 37 because it has a higher HP number (from the engine). My plan is to go take both out for a spin (even though I have already driven the 335 and enjoyed it). If I still like it better, I'll ask myself if I want to continue with my preorder and then decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.