BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bimmerfesters 'Climb to the Clouds II'

90K views 1K replies 42 participants last post by  DSXMachina 
#1 · (Edited)
Announcing the 2010 Bimmerfesters Climb to the Clouds II! The White Mountains, New Hampshire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Festers, save Saturday June 12, we're gathering for our second annual Bimmering adventure! Last year there were no arrests and all drivers were present and accounted for at the finish line. We're going to push our luck and do it all over again. There will be a surprise 'secret road' or two which I'll announce later in time for you to enter the data points in your GPS. I still need to scout them before inclusion to make sure we didn't have any 'frost heave explosions' over the Winter.

This actually is a very family friendly trip, and you are encouraged to bring your S.O. and kids along. I guarantee they will see things that they will talk about for years.

Here's a Google Map showing our trip. It is fully interactive so check out all the features. Click on the blue links on the left side and the map will bring up those locations.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...3.44594,-71.515503&spn=0.699923,0.973663&z=10

We'll all meet for breakfast at The Tilton Diner in Tilton, NH and go over the plans one last time. Then we'll convoy through lake country, get some pics of our BMWs passing through century old (but strong!) Covered Bridges, and stage for an unforgettable climb to the summit of Mount Washington.

You're going to find out what 'Freude am Fahren' is all about, NH style: The Kancamagus Scenic Byway lies dead ahead. The "Kanc' snakes 35 miles through mountains and valleys of the White Mountain National Forest at an average elevation of 2900 feet. Dozens of twists, turns, hairpins, rises and dips will test your car's suspension, and your concentration while surrounded by spectacular scenery.
http://gonewengland.about.com/od/nhsightseeing/a/aakancamagus.htm

The Kanc winds up at the Conway Outlet Center where we'll be taking a short pit stop (bathrooms and shopping) before heading North to Pinkham Notch and the Mount Washington Auto Road.

Although plenty wide and mostly paved this will not be an adventure for the faint of heart. There are no guard rails, not a single Jersey Barrier, just you and the mountain. And the valley floor over a thousand feet below.
http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-22.html

There will be a 'Fest photographer snapping a souvenir photo of your BMW rounding an uphill switchback with the mountain on one side and...nothing...on the other. We'll be having lunch at the Summit House (buy or bring) and have plenty of time to explore (it's kid safe-mostly). It is unlikely the wind will be like the day when it set a (recently eclipsed) world record velocity of over 230 mph right where we're parking.

It's all downhill from there, literally. Driving down can be even more um, interesting, than driving up. We'll then head North and West, skirting the Presidential Range and check out a few more sights along the way while passing through Crawford Notch and dipping South to The Mount Washington Hotel.

The MW Hotel, one of the few remaining Grand Dames of a bygone era recently underwent a multimillion dollar restoration. It's a great photo op and not to be missed. Plan on taking in the view of The Great Whites from the lounge before our group picture out front!
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx

After cutting through some back country we'll end up in Bartlett and jump onto a hidden local road, Bear Notch Road. BN Road, which would itself be a major attraction if not for the Kanc, ends at the Kanc which we will now travel in reverse back to our dispersal point in Lincoln, NH. It's going to be about supper time so how about staying for a meal?
http://www.thecman.com/restaurants/common-man-lincoln/

Total trip time, start to finish, is estimated at 8 hours. I'll be driving the route in late May (can't now, it's still snowbound in sections), and will verify all roads and the schedule.

Each driver will receive an info packet with route maps when we meet. However I will post the final route and schedule in late May so that anyone with a GPS can set waypoints if they wish. It won't be required though because the roads are all well marked and you will get maps with your itinerary.

This will be a great opportunity for you and your family to enjoy a day together with your fellow Bimmerfesters. You might even want to stay overnight into Sunday, but the convoy will say goodbye around 5pm on Saturday.

As I said, all the details will be posted by late May. The trip date is set in stone, Saturday the 12th of June (the 20th is Father's Day).

Here are some pictures from last year's event.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375910&highlight=

FAQ
Q. How many BMWs will there be?
A. For tactical reasons we're going to limit it to 30 confirmed cars with 5 more stand-bys as fill ins. Reservations are on a first come, first served basis.
We'll be convoying in groups of 10, each led by someone who did the trip last year.

Q. Will a cellphone work in the mountains?
A. Uusally but don't depend on it. Dead zones can be miles long.

Q. My baby doesn't do gravel. Will she be OK?
A. The only gravel we'll encounter will be very short sections of the Mt. Washington Auto Road, but they are extremely hard packed and stones stay put. Additionally, the MWAR speed limit is 5 mph. Think that's too slow? You won't.

Q. I may have some fragile bladders along, will there be bathroom stops?
A. At least every two hours. NH generally has clean and convenient facilities. However, you might have the most acute need while ascending the MWAR, there are none until the top.

Q. Should I bring a camera?
A. Are you kidding?

Q. What about food?
A. Breakfast will be at the Tilton Diner, a NH highlight for bacon and eggs, pancakes, and all the bad stuff that tastes so good. Bring some snacks for the car (no chocolate, or crumb buns, take it from me). Lunch is going to be on top of Mt. Washington and if you don't bring a picnic there is simple but very edible food available.

Q. Will we be seeing the "Old Man of the Mountains"?
A. Yes and no. He jumped off the side of Franconia Notch a few years ago and now lies in a 5000 ton heap of gravel on the valley floor. Very sad.

Q. Why can't this be a Rally, TSD Trial, or other competition?
A. The fact is you'll have plenty enough to do keeping your BMW on the road. The scenery will be distraction enough.

Q. I hear that Motorcycle Week starts June 12th...
A. It does, but all those bankers and lawyers will be far south of us in Laconia until Monday when they get the MW Auto Road all to themselves.

Q. Is there an entry fee?
A. Nope, just meet your own expenses.

Q. Come on, no one does anything for nothing?
A. OK, how about a $20 donation to the Susan G Komen for the Cure Center? As you know, BMWNA was a long time very generous supporter of this charity but will no longer be able to do so. It would be fitting for us to help in any way we can. Last year we raised $180 which was donated in the name of "Bimmerfesters".

Q. Gasoline?
A. Major branded stations will be along the way except for the Kanc where there will be nothing. Fill your tank before Tilton and you will have plenty left when we're done.

Q. Will my BMW make it up the MWAR?
A. The little old lady in the Suburban behind you will make sure you do. She can't turn around until the top. Just kidding, you'll have no problem.

Q. My BMW had an accident. Can I join you in my Honda Accord?
A. Sorry, no, this is an all BMW road trip.

Q. My BMW had an accident. Can I join you in my Ferrari California?
A. Yes.

Q. I'm in! What do I do now?
A. PM me for a reservation and make sure I PM you back to confirm! I will post a current reservations list so you can see who else is going.

See less See more
#11 ·
Next year for me - will be making final preps for a 4 week ED trip to get the 335d.

But I did bring my 330i up Mt. Washington last Summer. You can see it in the parking lot in the picture. That was a fun trip - I had a three day meeting at the Mt. Washington Hotel, and a violent thunderstorm closed the golf course right when we were starting, so we went for a drive instead...

Attachments

#13 ·
Next year for me - will be making final preps for a 4 week ED trip to get the 335d.

But I did bring my 330i up Mt. Washington last Summer. You can see it in the parking lot in the picture. That was a fun trip - I had a three day meeting at the Mt. Washington Hotel, and a violent thunderstorm closed the golf course right when we were starting, so we went for a drive instead...
Fortunately, through the magic of the interweb, we can recreate what a 335D looks like on Mt Washington using photos from last year...

Attachments

#15 ·
You're killing me! Last year's was while my car was still awaiting redelivery from ED, this year, I have a Sox game the night before.

I'll go a squishy commit now, and may firm up after I see how long the ride up to Tilton is.

George

#16 ·
You're killing me! Last year's was while my car was still awaiting redelivery from ED, this year, I have a Sox game the night before.

I'll go a squishy commit now, and may firm up after I see how long the ride up to Tilton is.

George
Drive up after the game George! It's basically only two highways and you get on the first one (93N) just a few minutes from Fenway. Spend the night up in the Tilton area and you'll have a leisurely start in the morning.
BTW, the Sox are going undefeated this year! By June the games will be boring.

#28 ·
Unfortunately, I am double booked this weekend with the Montreal Grand Prix, so I will not be climbing to the clouds.

You will have to find another idiot to drive recklessly, miss intersections (twice) and look oh so innocent when we stop for a break.

I will be there in spirit...

#29 ·
LOL. To do something like this down here we need some MOUNTAINS, Minicrazy. Big Bend is a long way away.

#31 · (Edited)

#39 ·
"Acura, Honda, Jaguar, Saturn and Sterling autos with automatic transmissions must show a "1" or "L" or "S" on the shifter to be allowed on the Auto Road. Transmissions showing an "S" must demonstrate that this shifter will allow the transmission to be locked into 1st gear. No Lincoln Continentals 1969 or earlier."

"The Auto Road is a steep, narrow mountain road without guardrails. The average grade is 12%. As the sign at the base of the Road states - "If you have a fear of heights, you may not appreciate this driving experience".

I'm scared now. My 12 year old son wants to come with me, and I have some important questions:

1. What is 1st gear and how do I 'lock' it in?

2. I have a fear of heights but I am not afraid to drive, but the whole 1969 Lincoln Continental thing is bothersome as my ///M328i might have some 1969 Lincoln Continental tendencies that I'm not aware of.

3. Is there somewhere I can go at a lower elevation to experience the same type of white-knuckle narrow roads without guardrails as a test-run just to make sure that I'm going to be able to make it?

BJ

#46 ·
Bad news Bolt. I have received a registered PM from the Bimmerfest M Owners Group (BMOG). It seems we don't have a category for your car. We have 'Verts, E90's, 91's and 92's and M's. We don't have an ///M328 category and the M guys are, well, let's be straight, they are threatening mayhem if your car is included with theirs.

So, what to do? They have suggested perhaps you be lumped (their word not mine) with any Z3 Coupes which might join in. Would this compromise be acceptable to you? I'm just trying to 'bring the Bimmerfest community together' as the TOS requires.

#43 · (Edited)

#44 ·
BJ you can put your ///M328 in manual mode and ride all the way down in first. First is a very low gear on that transmission and you will crawl down.

I'm afraid of heights also but I have ridden to the top of Mt. Washington via "Old Peppersass" and it didn't bother me.

And who would not be willing to risk their life for the chance to go on a Bicknell's Thrush Tour?

Bicknell's Thrush Tours

June 5, June 9, June 12, June 13, June 16 and June 18

The Mt. Washington Auto Road will again be offering Bicknell's Thrush Guided Tours in 2010. Mt. Washington is one of two Bicknell's Thrush habitats in the northeastern United States, and the Mt. Washington Auto Road offers you a unique opportunity to view these rare birds.
Our Bicknell's Thrush Guided Tours leave early in the morning before the Mt. Washington Auto Road opens to the general public to cause as little disturbance as possible.
Cost: $50 per person
Advanced reservations required.

Here's a shot from last years event.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Every year the Budweiser brewery nearby hosts an exotic car show in August. The display cars are on a very shady lawn but the viewers get to park in a Sahara like parking lot. I found a single tree, about 500' away, and parked under its shady canopy.
When I came back to my car I found that 2000 starlings had landed in the tree for a migratory rest stop and apparently to a bird that is a good time to lighten its load. My coupe looked just like the car in the picture! To think I had almost forgotten to close my sunroof as I walked away...

#52 · (Edited)

#53 ·
So you miss one race, big deal!.

If you win the rest of them the World Championship will still be yours!

I will actually be in Montreal helping young students through college. It is the least I can do.

I have pretty good tickets...for the race, not the late night fund raising drive...

#54 ·
Oh sure... lay that sort of guilt trip on us. While we're having fun, you'll be making the world a better place.

Meh.

DSX, put me down for $40.

#57 · (Edited)

#63 ·
Should we track this in the "Axles of Evil"?
That worked well for the Lime Rock Invasion.

CA
At this point I think 'Festers are used to seeing it as a thread. Emission said once I asked he would make it a sticky, and get it cross posted in the other forums as well. I'll leave it as a regular thread for now.

I looked on Google Maps. Parking for 30 cars in June does not look very easy.

CA
I'm going to scout the route and see what the logistics are. Arrangements can be made. NH still has a 'small town atmosphere' especially in the small towns. ;) There may be a bank lot or similar we could use. I'll check it out in early May and post what I find.

I trust you will be 'bringing it' for the both of us.

Of course, DSX is dead to me now after deliberately programming a scheduling conflict for me.
Crikey xr, I checked every event schedule I could think of before picking the date. There are only so many open dates on the mountain, and later in the Summer things tend to get a little crowded. Next year I promise to Google search all 51 States so then I will know what's going on in Canada too.
Can I be just critically injured rather than dead to you?

#58 · (Edited)

#59 ·
Hi DSX,

I sent you a PM but I would like to attend as well. Just took the car out of storage and ready for some top-down driving. I had a great time last year. It is unfortunate (I think) that xrated will not be joining us.

Regards,
NHman

#60 ·
Hi DSX,

I sent you a PM but I would like to attend as well. Just took the car out of storage and ready for some top-down driving. I had a great time last year. It is unfortunate (I think) that xrated will not be joining us.

Regards,
NHman
I trust you will be 'bringing it' for the both of us.

Of course, DSX is dead to me now after deliberately programming a scheduling conflict for me.

This post has been deleted
#71 · (Edited)
"Hell hath no fury like a performance enthusiast scorned"

You are the master. I generally loathe U2 as being self absorbed and pretentious..."The Edge"...come on! Well played, right to my musical solar plexus.

Goats...the gift that keeps on giving google images...he we have a goatar
:D

#75 · (Edited)
You are the master. I generally loathe U2 as being self absorbed and pretentious..."The Edge"...come on! Well played, right to my musical solar plexus.

"The master" is afraid. Very afraid. I may be joining you at the Montreal Goat Prix instead of this suicide mission. With the amazing power of the ///M328i engine, not sure the brakes can handle the situation on the way down. Even xDrive and the rear diffuser have their limitations.

BJ

#74 ·
The bomb is dropped at the end of the article ... wtf, why are Hondas with automatic transmissions not allowed????:eek:

#76 ·
The bomb is dropped at the end of the article ... wtf, why are Hondas with automatic transmissions not allowed???

Well, that article is 20 years old so things have changed since then. That said, my first performance car was a 1979 Honda Prelude with the Hondamatic transmission, and if memory serves correctly it was a 2-speed job and may not have had a low gear in the traditional sense.

BJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.