BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Removing electronically limited top speed

145K views 254 replies 47 participants last post by  firebull 
#1 ·
Is there a way to remove the electronically limited top speed?

I know on my car I don't have one thanks to Dinan, but I am wondering if someone has been able to code this on a non Dinan.

#98 ·
I think I'm going to just chill for a while. I did find one place that would flash the ecu and remove the limiter and it also tunes the car for more horsepower. However I don't want to void the warranty or risk hurting the car with a tune. They did say they would just remove the limiter and not tune it but it was the same price of 700 bucks. To me it's not worth the 700 to have it removed at this time. It seems there is new stuff coming out for this engine very 6 months or so. I'm sure in time they will have something affordable.

#99 ·
Can you ask them if the removal is based on simple coding, or are they physically removing the speed sensor?

#100 ·
I just sent them an email asking, I'll post my reply when they respond.

#101 ·
Received this response:

Hi,

The speed limiter is removed thorugh ECU reprogramming, We do not touch anything physical.

Best Regards,
Josh

#102 ·
Received this response:

Hi,

The speed limiter is removed thorugh ECU reprogramming, We do not touch anything physical.

Best Regards,
Josh
Interesting. Still, that is different than Coding, so there is little hope I don't think.

#103 ·
Hi Guys very interesting posts here!

I would like to ask you something,

im trying to change the values when we go to read it again, the old values are still inside. Any idea how we can solve our problem?

We are working right now on a M5 F10 put the M Drivers Package code inside. Now trying to change DME2 12 and DME2 13.

Thanks for the help

#104 ·
Hi Guys very interesting posts here!

I would like to ask you something,

im trying to change the values when we go to read it again, the old values are still inside. Any idea how we can solve our problem?

We are working right now on a M5 F10 put the M Drivers Package code inside. Now trying to change DME2 12 and DME2 13.

Thanks for the help
Sorry tried that before on my M5 .. without result; It seems it does take the new code in these modules however after testing it rewrites the codes down from 326 km/h to **** value

I didn't try to code the VMAX in the EGS .. Will try this with the latest PSDZ data (thanks to shawn)

There must be a trick .. because the values / selectable fields are mentioning standard the 326 km/h option; this would be fine if the car could take it.

#105 ·
Yeah i read somewhere that in the EGS is also a code for the VMAX, cant remember where i read it can you post it here if you have the link?

Well what we are thinking right now is that maybe you can only change those values within the first 18 hours the car is running.

If we look at the EGS we can not find values for VMAX, can you send us the data? Or which CAFD data should we look inside for the VMAX code?

Im Thomas from PP-Performance, you might know us, we have a M5 here. tuned to 639.7hp and 824.7nm but still the VMAX inside.

#107 ·
#119 ·
One more thing, can it be that the reason why it dosnt accept the new codes is because the ECUs run over 18hours? This problem is known for the 750 ECUs that if they run over 18hours you are not able to change the codes.

When we change the FP to 7ME drivers package and we bring the car to BMW for an update, could it be that the VMAX will be open? :)

#121 ·
I haven't heard of this 18 hour issue. I have heard that things like S7MEA M Driver's Package require an FSC Code, but I have not been able to verify that.

#123 ·
Sweet! So how did you confirm it is actually removed?

These changes do not revert back to there original values either?

I do not see anything added to the VO, so no VO Changes? Or did you have 231 and deleted it, and then VO coded DME and GWS?

These are the only changes:

DME / VMAX-Codierung = Wert_03 / Werte=03
GWS / KOD_SP_VMAX_CCM_ID717 = cc_vmax_15 / Werte=0F

Although GWS on my M-Sport is already set to cc_vmax_15 / Werte=0F.

#125 ·
Oh, I thought you coded it.

What does this mean:

It has not been made ***8203;***8203;in Dynan.

Sorry, I do not understand.

#129 ·
@Griffin 27,

Try this. Add to FA S231A, then VO Code CAS, KOMBI, EGS, and DME. Let me know if that works.

#130 ·
Or maybe not. I just tested 231 in my FA, and I could not calculate FP. Sorry.

#131 ·
@Griffin 27,

Instead of adding S231A, can you try adding 7MA, and then VO Code CAS, KOMBI, EGS, and DME.

Let me know if that works.

#132 ·
Will do. I'm in Florida at Disney world for the week. When I get back ill give it a try on Tuesday.

#136 ·
VO Code CAS, KOMBI, EGS, and DME.

To VO Code, highlight each ECU itself (NOT the underlying CAFD in the Subfolder), right-click on it, and select CODE (Not FDL Code).

When you VO Code, you are coding the entire ECU to a default condition based on the VO (FA), with all FDL Coding automatically set in order to support all Option Codes in the VO.

Understand though because it is coding the entire ECU to a default condition, all custom FDL Coding will be lost, and will have to be re-FDL Coded coded after the VO Coding (e.g. your KOMBI and CAS customizations).

#142 ·
Ok. And that was after adding 7MA to VO and VO Coding CAS, KOMBI, EGS, and DME?

#154 ·
I tried it before; Both in DME12 and DME13 sections, you can change the values from a drop down menu even to the VMX wert 326km/h
But when I tried reaching it the limiter was still in place, and the chosen 'wert' was overwritten to 'initial' or something like it.

I do believe it must be possible but we are now grabbing in the dark;
Is it in the transmission ecu?
3000chf is too much just to unlock high speed

#155 ·
For what it is worth, I was advised as follows from an Exx Coder:

"On DME / DDE of E-Series cars the v_max coding can only be changed if the "Betriebsstundenzaehler" (= counter operating hours) is "0" - this is the case if the DDE / DME is brand new. Until early 2008 (software version of DDE / DME) it was possible to change the v_max coding of a DDE / DME also if "Betriebsstundenzaehler" > 0. Therefore the DME / DDE needs to be coded right after it was upgraded to a newer software version. This was quite good to increase the spee limit of ost US spec cars from 210 to 250 km/h. Unfortunately this backdoor was closed later...

I do not think that it is possible to change v_max coding via E-Sys the usual way (e.g. FDL coding).
"

#173 ·
If this is also valid for the F10, would it not work to put the "Betriebsstundenzaehler" to 0 and then do the DME modifications and then bring the "Betriebsstundenzaehler" back to normal/previous counter?

As far as I know there are tons of those people who can "manipulate" the distance counter of the car....

#156 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this Forum but not too new to BMW's

I have been looking over all the issues on changing the speed from 130/155 to Max

Well the underlying issue here is the Speedo corrector. (most of you guys alreasy know of this)

You can fight the unlimited battle all you want but you can get more speed out of your car by concentrating on how to get the speed corrector turned off on the analog side

I have a strip of freeway close to my house that on Sunday mornings I can get my 328i sport package to "155" but the true speed is 141mph due to the speedo Corrector. "Close to a 10% reduction in true speed"

Just a thought for everyone, BMW lies to everyone about the top speed setting and I really do not find that it is fair for a company to call it's cars "the ultimate driving machine" yet the car is being held back over and over by every limitation they can put on it.

It's just a thought, I know this thread is about speed limiting, I just wanted to bring up the fact that it is limited in two ways.

#157 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this Forum but not too new to BMW's

I have been looking over all the issues on changing the speed from 130/155 to Max

Well the underlying issue here is the Speedo corrector. (most of you guys alreasy know of this)

You can fight the unlimited battle all you want but you can get more speed out of your car by concentrating on how to get the speed corrector turned off on the analog side

I have a strip of freeway close to my house that on Sunday mornings I can get my 328i sport package to "155" but the true speed is 141mph due to the speedo Corrector. "Close to a 10% reduction in true speed"

Just a thought for everyone, BMW lies to everyone about the top speed setting and I really do not find that it is fair for a company to call it's cars "the ultimate driving machine" yet the car is being held back over and over by every limitation they can put on it.

It's just a thought, I know this thread is about speed limiting, I just wanted to bring up the fact that it is limited in two ways.
This is very true.

I have written many times about this, but again, BMW can advance the speedometer by 10% + 2.4 MPH per the attachment, which at higher speeds can be pretty substantial.

If VMAX is applied to the Advanced Speedometer reading rather than actual vehicle speed, a VMAX restriction of 155 MPH would limit the vehicle's actual speed to 139 MPH (139 MPH x 1.10 +2.4 = 155.3 MPH).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.