Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E350-4M -> '13 535ixM
Question Winter tire advice needed

I know it's an odd time of year to be asking about winter tires, however I have an opportunity to pick up a set of nearly new (3000 miles) Pirelli Sottozero 240 Series II winter tires (non runflat) in size 245/45/18 for my new 528ix. Does anyone have any experience with this tire on current F10's?? I am looking for opinions on its winter performance (snow & ice) as well as wet (slush) and dry behaviour in the cold. I have used primarily Dunlop WinterSport M3 and 3D in the past on my E-Class 4-matic with very good success and am wondering how these would compare. I would buy the Dunlops again but this is a fairly good deal on the Pirelli's.

Also, they come mounted on a set of Rial Salerno 18x8 ET 30 rims. I like the look but know very little about this brand and its reliability. Any opinions to share?

Thanks to all in advance!

Last edited by DrRx; 07-22-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Anybody??
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
With an xDrive, almost any Winter Performance tire should work pretty well. I've had Dunlops and Michelins myself. As far as Rial is concerned, they are my brand of choice if I am looking for medium range rims, which BTW are on par with BMW OEM rims except that every Rial I've owned has been made in Germany. I had the Salernos on my wife's 335d and had no issues.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: v8 tt
My preferred would be:

Dunlop WS 3D ... actually, they should have the 4D already for this coming witner
Michelin PA4 - which is what I have now (used to have Dunlop 3D)
Dunlop M3 - good traction

Pirelli - never like anything coming out from them. Reason: way overpriced and quality is just average at best
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
You should search tire reviews on tirerack.com for more user experience on that particular tire.

Like dunderhi mentioned with xdrive any winter tire will be adequate enough and worlds better than the stock tires. If its a good deal i would snatch them up.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
Are they runflats? The Dunlop and Michelin (not necessarily in that order) are probably the premier high performance winter tires in non-runflat versions. For the F10, the two runflat choices are the Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat and the Bridgestone LM-25 Blizzak RFT. If they are runflats and you want to run runflats, they should be fine. Rial is one of the older wheel manufacturers; Tire Rack lists that model as a low pressure cast wheel made in Poland (Poland generally has very high manufacturing standards).

Keep in mind that winter tires don't last anywhere near as long as summer or all season tires. They don't have wear ratings. To be effective, they should have at least half tread depth and their sipes functional. The RFT Sottozero in 245/45-18 has 10/32" tread depth. So to be really useful you want at least 8/32" or more. This has to be measured with a depth gauge; special gauges for tire depth are available at nominal cost.

Having researched the runflat tires and owner experiences here and elsewhere, I'm not a big fan. Runflat or not I'd carry an inflation kit (about $40 on Amazon) and a runflat spare and tools in a bag for any serious or tire critical trips whether or not there are runflats on the car. While the runflat will most likely (but not definitely) keep you moving, doing so trashes both the tire and the rim. So the puncture repair can be used on the runflat or a regular tire. If the puncture repair doesn't work, then the space saver will give you 100+ mile range without damaging the rim or tire further and deal with otherwise non-repairable conditions. The inflation kit leaves the full-size tire in place and is quicker, cleaner, and easier (especially for people not physically strong or familiar with changing tires (e.g. my wife)).
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
+1 for Dunlops as winter tires - even RFT version is quite comfortable and quiet, not to mention excellent grip in low temps and in the snow. Well - at least my 18" winter Dunlops are way less harsh than my summer Contis (also RFTs); it's funny how it changed the other way around as compared to non-RFT I've used before my F10.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
I missed the Dunlops because Tire Rack doesn't list them in F10 sizes...but the Dunlop website does. Not cheap...
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
I had Michelin Pilot Alpins on my S4 for winter tires and they were fantastic.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892
2011 X5D - Black Sapphire/Cinnamon Brown - To be traded or sold
Previous:
2007 328xi
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
My preferred would be:

Dunlop WS 3D ... actually, they should have the 4D already for this coming witner
Michelin PA4 - which is what I have now (used to have Dunlop 3D)
Dunlop M3 - good traction

Pirelli - never like anything coming out from them. Reason: way overpriced and quality is just average at best
Thanks Bobble ... Since you have had experience with both the Dunlop 3D's and the Michelin PA4's, do you have any preference one way or the other? I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices. Were any of these run flats? BTW, the Dunlop 4D's are consistently testing less good than the 3D's in the majority of the European comparisons. Odd.