BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ack....regular gas added to diesel X35d

17K views 69 replies 35 participants last post by  TireSmoke 
#1 ·
Daughter accidently added 8 gallons of regular fuel to my X5 35d. After realizing what she had done, she immediately stopped pumping and called me. We had the car towed to the local dealership. The car was never started.

Dealer wants $1200 to flush & clean the tank, replace fuel filter, a rubber gasket and the fuel pump....

why would I need to replace the fuel pump if the car was never started?

many thanks....jd

#2 ·
Why take a chance, change the fuel pump too. This might also be a candidate for the comprensive section of your insurance policy. Check that out, it could save you a bunch of bucks. It will NOT be covered under warranty! Too bad, good lesson for the daughter, but a costly one.:cry:

#3 ·
Are they aware that it wasn't started with the gasoline in the car? Should just be a matter of draining and refueling with diesel, nothing like a 1200 charge. Can you call around to other dealerships?

#4 ·
thanks for the quick feed back....i did call another dealer and they said if the car wasn't started then the fuel pump doesn't need to be replaced. Now I guess I need to know if the current dealer drove the car into the bay. I gave explicit instructions not to start the car.

#5 ·
My cousin pumped diesel into his 2008 Honda pilot when it was brand new, don't ask me how! He thought there was some problem with the nozzle and forced the diesel into the tank by holding it all the time. He drove for around 20 min and engine started making loud knocking sounds, it was so loud that the people on other side of the road could hear it. Finally he towed the car to the dealer and called the insurance, the lady rep never heard about this case and called the supervisor. Eventually the insurance covered it, though it was a long process where insurance didn't agree to change the engine but eventually ended up paying more , replacing each block and piston, exhaust, catalytic etc..... Around 10k

#6 ·
How did she get the gasoline nozzle to fit into the fuel opening? Isn't the interlock suppose to prevent the gasoline nozzle from fitting? If the interlock is defective, you might be able to make a case for BMW to provide some goodwill and pick-up part of the cost.

#11 ·
The nice guys at the dealership provided this "adapter" for those older diesel pumps that might not fit the car....well it so happens those adapters work well w/ regular gas pumps, too...so "technically" it was the dealership's fault :)...this is going to be the most expensive piece of plastic I've ever purchased.

#8 ·
I know someone who did the same to Toyota RAV4. How it happened? Well, that gas station had both hoses next to each other. The diesel hose didn't fit well, but the person was able to just hold the trigger and fill 1/4 tank. Toyota's tank design allowed some part of the hose to get in. Anyway, there was already 1/4 tank of gas, so the mixture was 50/50. She drove for some time, but the car choked eventually. Toyota dealer took $800 to evacuate fuel and clean out fuel lines (blow air through them). They didn't change fuel filter or anything else. The car is fine (gotta love Toyota for that at least). However, I think putting in gas into diesel might be a more serious offense.

#10 ·
Wasn't it not to long back that you could mix regular gas with diesel to prevent diesel sludge in very cold temperatures? Given the correct mixture of course; not like 50/50. The old diesel engines used to be able to handle that. But then a lot has changed with the modern diesel engines.

Hope it won’t be too bad and that they listened to you and didn’t' start the engine!

#12 ·
W

Hope it won't be too bad and that they listened to you and didn't' start the engine!
Well....this is what I'm trying to find out. We left a note in the car and a note with in the drop off box w/key. We were in contact w/ the dealership the night before and they told us not to start the car and have it towed....

#45 ·
It wouldn't have got there ! It would have broken down 200 yards down the road.
Do you think the Tech at the dealer wouldn't smell the petrol or see how thin it was when he drained it ?

I think you just gotta take this one on the chinn, but a tleast your daughter is educated now!
bet you wish you had filled it up for her,? or at least shown her how, before the poor girl needed to find out the hard way by wrecking Daddy's X5.

#16 · (Edited)
Here is similar story, I would have gone with solution A

" have just undergone this problem; I accidentally put Gas in my VW Jetta TDI 2011 Diesel Engine, I have had it for about a month, bought it brand new last Christmas, and this mistake happened me owning the car for less than a week, talk about Bad Luck. Had I known what I know now from my experience, I would have saved myself a lot of money. Not to mention avoid the scam of the dealership and the mental agony. I feel obligated to share my experience with you all, so you can get this problem fixed without the horrendous cost to you. This is for cars or trucks that are still under Dealer Warranty or have Full coverage Insurance.
Scenario:
Having put gas in my Diesel engine, I drove the car from the Gas station to my home which is about 5 miles, then I realized the mistake but it was too late. I called the dealership and told them my mishap and I was sent over a tow truck at no cost and was told ?it is not a big deal? bring it over we will fix it. Scam #1: This is NOT covered under warranty. Having Gotten to the VW dealership, I was told all we have to do is drain the Tank and replace the Filter and I will be good to Go; Scam # 2, you have to suck out the Gas from the lines, if need be use a compressor to suck it out, Drain the Tank and change the Filter is only good if you have NOT driven the car, once driven, this is almost never help full. The dealer made my car ready and charged me $650, before I could get home the car had its Coil light on and was not catching any speed. . I went back to the dealer and they said let us do it again as there may be some particles left, charged me another $650 (Total out of my pocket $1300). This did not fix it and I went back to the dealer and they said it is all messed up and gave me an estimate of $9950 which will NOT be covered by the warranty. Below is what I did, which the VW dealer said cannot be done (I claimed it on my insurance), but before you do that ready below Solution A, it is a better route than what I did.
Solution:
Here are the steps you need to take:

Solution A:

1. Do NOT drive the car as soon as you realize
2. Tow the car right away to a ?NON-DEALER? Independent Diesel Mechanic or shop, do NOT use Roadside assistance, or else the Dealer at some point can nail you for it as that record is shared with the Dealership, Pay Cash from your pocket and an independently owned tow company, not even AAA.
3. Tow the car to a ?NON-DEALER? Independent Diesel Mechanic or shop and clean up the Tank, usually should not cost more than $300 and this should fix the problem 9/10 times if you have not driven the car and 5/10 times if you have driven the car.
4. If the car is not fixed at the mechanic?s place at this point, then Tow the car back to your Home (Assuming it does not drive at all) this is imperative, however Ask the mechanic or shop to clean out all the Gas 100% regardless of if it is fixed or not.
5. If the car drives, fill up the tank with Diesel and drive at least 1 full tank, so all traces of Gas are gone.
6. Assuming the car is not fixed or barely fixed or not satisfied with the way it drives, then call the dealership while your car is at home and tell them your problem, DO NOT Mention you put ?GAS? or else the warranty will NOT Cover and the dealer will love to scam you. Just mention the problem and ?You don?t know how it happened, it just did?. This time use the Roadside assistance of the Dealership and tow the car to the dealership or drive the car to the dealership if it drives and let them do what it takes to fix it. Remember don?t be a ?Smarty Pants? and let the dealership fix it, less knowledge is wise at this point. No Matter how much they say that there is Gas in there, remember you know nothing about this, they will try to make this into a ?NON-Warranty? and try to make you pay for it. As far as you are concerned ?The car is not working or working right and it is an engine problem, So FIX IT DAMN IT? put up a fight (Verbal) if need be and ultimately by law they have to fix it as this can never be proven, it could be the gas station has contaminated diesel or whatever, not your business. Be strong and smart or dumb whatever works.

Solution B:

Assuming you were an idiot like me, and believed in ?Honesty the best policy?, then be ready to pay the price of honesty all the way to $10K, I am not rich and can barely make payments for the car, house, and ?wife?, so here is what I did, having told the dealer 100% about the exact situation and to the minute details of what had happened.
1. Even though my Insurance agent advised me against it and the internet did not speak about this, the dealer said: ?I have seen it numerous time, it will never happen, the insurance company will never pay?. The car was sitting at the dealership for over 3 weeks now, I figured what do I have to loose, (I have full coverage with Farmers) I called my insurance company. Believe me when I say, this was the easiest claim I ever filed; ?a walk in the park? could not be easier. I was told I have to pay the deductible, and the adjuster went to go look at it, paid the dealership close to $10K and my car was fixed just as good as new. And Yes, I told the Insurance Company the whole scenario as to exactly how it happened taking full responsibility of the ?accidental fuel contamination? (Key word for insurance claim). This can be done through your full coverage Insurance if Solution A above is not your option.

Good Luck, Its Pay Back Time Dealerships."

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question76677.html

One more thing

"Prevention: better than cure
Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."
2009 Mercedes-Benz M Class 3.0L BlueTecEnlarge Photo
BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device.
Audi has developed a similar system that it will fit to its 2011 diesel models. In the States, those are the A3 TDI compact hatchback and the Q7 TDI sport utility vehicle.
At least one similar device, known as Diesel Key Europe, is available as an aftermarket accessory in Europe. It can be installed by the car owner, says the company, and also has the secondary benefit of preventing siphoning by fuel thieves."

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog...ou-filled-a-diesel-car-with-gasoline-now-what

#46 ·

One more thing

"Prevention: better than cure
Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device.".....
All well and good there, but as OP stated, device was easily defeated by the plastic "adapter" the dealer had sold him to help :tsk: with older pumps. :bawling:

#17 · (Edited)
This is consistent with what I've read in the past...$1,000+ if the engine wasn't started and $2,000+ if it was.This is why I'm the *only* one who puts fuel into my "d".Before I allow anyone else to drive it I make sure it has more than enough fuel for their purposes and then instruct them...*beg* them...not to stop for fuel.

#25 ·
This is consistent with what I've read in the past...$1,000+ if the engine wasn't started and $2,000+ if it was.
I confirmed w/ the dealer this morning they are not replacing the pumps (I guess there are two), but performing a mini 'rebuild' to clean them out. It makes me a feel a little bit better, but not much, that I'm in the ballpark price-wise....

This is why I'm the *only* one who puts fuel into my "d".Before I allow anyone else to drive it I make sure it has more than enough fuel for their purposes and then instruct them...*beg* them...not to stop for fuel.
I grew up on Peugeot diesels, the turtle-like 504s, and really thought nothing of going diesel with this car. Getting diesel fuel was second nature....to me only, unfortunately!

#19 ·
My wife and I are the only people who will fuel the D, but I suspect it will be mostly me. While I am confident I will not make this mistake (few of us who buy this car on purpose will), I acted all anxious over whether I would make this mistake, mentioning it at least 10 times before taking my wife to the gas station and having her fill the first tank, with me watching. I pointed out to her the green pump handle, the green inside the fuel door, the two labels there, etc. We've also discussed ad nauseam the sound the car makes (it's our first diesel) because it's a diesel. I also make it a point to draw her attention to other diesels on the road (mostly large trucks of course).

I think/hope she gets the point by now. Like listerone above, I will probably make sure that it has enough gas, I mean diesel, before she drives it. Longer trips will be together and I will use them as further acclimation opportunities.

To OP: sorry for your mishap. Remember, it's only money... lots of worse things can happen when cars and youngsters are involved.

#23 ·
sorry that happened...I hope to hear good news about the rest of this!

#26 ·
Fueling mishap

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I am always worried that I will someday make this mistake. Soon after I got my vehicle, I stopped to fill up at a (older) Shell gas station. As I carefully looked for the diesel pump, and put the nozel in the tank, for some reason the pump motor would not come on. I finally went in to the cashier and she said that she had noticed me pull up to the pump and switched off the power as she thought that surely a BMW would take premium fuel and I was going to mis-fuel my vehicle. I assured her my car was a diesel and I did indeed need to fuel it up with diesel. She told me that many people make a mistake as that pump was the most used pump by people passing through on that highway. I thanked her being so vigilant.

I have made a point that when in town we use two seperate gas stations for fueling our two different vehicles, one takes premium and one is a diesel. My wife does not like to fuel the car also helps. The 325i we fill at Costco, and they do not sell diesel. The X5 which I drive, I fill it up at a Shell station. That way we will avoid making a mistake with the wrong fuel. One time when I was away from home for a few weeks and she was forced to go to get gas, she went to a full service station to get refueled.

#28 ·
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I am always worried that I will someday make this mistake. Soon after I got my vehicle, I stopped to fill up at a (older) Shell gas station. As I carefully looked for the diesel pump, and put the nozel in the tank, for some reason the pump motor would not come on. I finally went in to the cashier and she said that she had noticed me pull up to the pump and switched off the power as she thought that surely a BMW would take premium fuel and I was going to mis-fuel my vehicle. I assured her my car was a diesel and I did indeed need to fuel it up with diesel. She told me that many people make a mistake as that pump was the most used pump by people passing through on that highway. I thanked her being so vigilant.

I have made a point that when in town we use two seperate gas stations for fueling our two different vehicles, one takes premium and one is a diesel. My wife does not like to fuel the car also helps. The 325i we fill at Costco, and they do not sell diesel. The X5 which I drive, I fill it up at a Shell station. That way we will avoid making a mistake with the wrong fuel. One time when I was away from home for a few weeks and she was forced to go to get gas, she went to a full service station to get refueled.
+1
I fill my subaru up a K-mart because they have no ethanol in their gas. I fill up the X at the Petro truck stop because the trucks keep the fuel fresh and it doesn't contain any biodiesel.

#27 ·
I am :confused: according to article from greenreport.com that should never happened. I don't have my car yet, but will definitely test this. Maybe there is defect or device is easy to "fool".

"Some new diesel cars make it virtually impossible to fill up with gasoline. Since BMW launched its clean-diesel 335d and X5 models in the U.S. last year, they have all been fitted with a standard "mis-fueling protection device."

BMW's prevention device is a special mechanism in the filler neck that requires the larger-diameter diesel nozzle to trigger a mechanism that unlocks to open a flap to permit fueling. Hoses for unleaded gasoline have a smaller diameter, and and cannot trip the catch that operates the device.
"

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...oline-now-what

#34 ·
1. If it had been the wife, you might have come away from this deal with something for your troubles.....;)

2. She put gas in the tank. I'm willing to bet that you could have siphoned all the fuel out, topped the empty tank with diesel and been fine. (Maybe give it a shake or two) In fact, it is my nature to suspect that is pretty much what the dealer will do- but will add a bunch of other stuff to it since they just love this type of jo (ie open ended, write up whateevr they can get away with) Mini-rebuild? Please. Ever the pessimist that ard....

3. My cousin filled our diesel VW rabbit with gas many years ago. He did not get far. Blew the heads off the motor. Head rebuilt. Clearly a simpler motor.

4. I've been renting cars BMW diesels in Germany the last few months. Do you know how to tell a rental car in Germany? Big "Diesel" label on the filler cover. Bothers me... :)

#35 ·
In fact, it is my nature to suspect that is pretty much what the dealer will do- but will add a bunch of other stuff to it since they just love this type of jo (ie open ended, write up whateevr they can get away with) Mini-rebuild? Please. Ever the pessimist that ard....
my feelings exactly...placed over a barrel. They know it, and I told them I know it.

#37 ·
Just drain and fill in this case. Done

#43 ·
#44 ·
When I was a teenager we had a 1985 300TD wagon. Living in NJ, everything is pumped for you. Stupidly, my sister and I went to a gas station (no diesel there) and they guy pumped regular gas into it and we drove it home.

The Wagon quickly started to make funny noises. We were close to home and realized what had happened. I don't know how much it cost my dad but I know I will NEVER make that mistake ever again.

We have the X5D now and always scope out diesel prices. Our other vehicle is a pick up truck (gas) which I think we have driven a total of .5 miles just to deal with alternate side of the parking so we don't have to worry much about forgetting which vehicle we are driving.

#47 ·
to the OP:
What FINALLY happened? how much were you charged? Did the dealer drive it?

Oh, and sorry this had to happen. I have been considering trading my 07 for a diesel...this is a BIG caution for me.

#48 ·
I have been considering trading my 07 for a diesel...this is a BIG caution for me.
Really? You actually think you might do this and therefore is an item of caution?

I get annoyed with the whole "Americans fear diesel" thing.....

#54 · (Edited)
Your stories are making me nervous. I bought the 2011 335d for my blonde, yoga instructor fiancee. I have her call me every time she stops for fuel so I won't have heart failure wondering if she put gasoline in the car. A couple of times filling up her car the guy in the station comes running out 'stop! you're putting diesel in that car!!!'

#55 ·
I have her call me every time she stops for fuel
Wow. Had to say something. My wife would Fing kill me if I did that to her.

But..... she's not blonde.

:angel:

#56 ·
She doesn't drive close to 10k miles/year, so she will probably only get fuel herself about a dozen times a year, I usually fill it if I drive it and it has less than half a tank. And she would kill me if she saw this post, but cars interest her about as much as yoga interests me, so no chance she will see this :)

#57 ·
...cars interest her about as much as yoga interests me, so no chance she will see this :)
Maybe if you both performed some 'yoga' together inside the car, all of it would become interesting to both of you!:D

Sorry, that was low hanging fruit... for the record, my wife also loves yoga and she has managed to get me to do it (yoga I mean) a few times too. Not inside any car, though...not yet anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.