BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Stuck on a wall

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  _Ethrty-Andy_ 
#1 ·
First off, hello everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums.

I come to you with a dilemma. I bought an imported '86 316i with an '89 325i engine, and it's proving to be the biggest drain on my wallet since I've got it. It's got 245,000km on it, with only about 90,000km on the engine itself. Both front fenders are badly rusted, with the front plastic bumper cracked, the headlights only work half the time cause for some reason they're wired with speaker wire (don't worry, I'm taking it in soon to get completely rewired and HIDs put in), i need a tail light panel relay, it's quite dented ont he hood, doors, and trunk, faded paint, and a few rips in the leather interior on the doors and seats. The engine surges, its loud as hell, even after I had a mechanic put on a Magnaflow muffler and completely check the exhaust system for leaks. The wiper motor also seems to have gone, that or some tubes are clogged. Tons of little problems that are really giving me a headache.

I've come across a local ad for an imported 1993 525i with only 170,000km on it for $4500, (supposedly with no rust whatsoever), and I offered the guy to trade my car, the winter tires that came with it, the sound system that came with it, all the spare parts I've bought for it, and some cash as well.

So my question to you guys is, should I try and avoid the headache of the car I have now and trade, or should I wait it out until I can afford to fix it and send it to a mechanic?:dunno:

On a side note, anyone had any luck with DIY leather repairs? I'm talking like v-shaped rips, not any bigger than our thumbnail. Certain spots on my interior are also badly scuffed, such as on the door and by the clutch. I appreciate any input I can get from you all, this is my first BMW, and my first car entirely, (I'm 18). I'd love to keep the car, but at this rate it's going to be real hard to be able to pay for upkeep.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like your car is too far gone for economical repair. Maybe in Canada an E30 is like gold, but I just got a real clean '90 with five speed for USD 1600. The potential trade-up car also sounds like it has problems.

You have to look at the overall picture and realize when you will be underwater. I know this sounds like you have to own a crystal ball, but just the things you list that are already in bad shape make it uneconomical to continue throwing money at it.

Than again I'm not immune to ignoring my own advice. I have an '88 735i...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.