BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Chit chat with a new ATS owner at the car wash.

7K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  CE750Jockey 
#1 ·
I ran into a guy with anew ATS today at the car wash and his previous car was a series one BMW. We talked about the ATS. He though the BMW was a drivers car much more than the ATS. He said the ATS was a softer ride and very comfortable and that what he wanted right now. He was paying 385. No money down. 2.0 loaded. It is clear that if you are looking for a good handling car the BMW wins out . I came out from going to the drug store and there was also an ATS parked next to me and it was also apparent the BMW f30 looks much better than the ATS . It was very non decrypt. Not to start an other thread but I though some of you would find it interesting

#2 ·
I sat in an ATS at the Philly Car show today. Didn't drive it obviously.

I really don't like the instrumentation at all, and the overall quality of materials isn't as nice as what we get in the F30.

Plus, it didn't feel as comfortable in terms of head room. It felt really cramped to me. It could have been how the seat was adjusted, but I'm not really sure...

Driving experience is one thing, but instrumentation and quality of materials is a huge factor when choosing a car, and I think the ATS really falls short. CUE is terrible!

#41 ·
I sat in an ATS at the Philly Car show today. Didn't drive it obviously.

I really don't like the instrumentation at all, and the overall quality of materials isn't as nice as what we get in the F30.

Plus, it didn't feel as comfortable in terms of head room. It felt really cramped to me. It could have been how the seat was adjusted, but I'm not really sure...

Driving experience is one thing, but instrumentation and quality of materials is a huge factor when choosing a car, and I think the ATS really falls short. CUE is terrible!
Agree. Just checked it out at the Philly show as well. While I liked their interior in pics, when seen in person, it still has that "GM-ish" feel to it. GM's interior designs have come a long way. Now they just need their materials to catch up. Not there yet.

#5 · (Edited)
I ran into a guy with anew ATS today at the car wash and his previous car was a series one BMW. We talked about the ATS. He though the BMW was a drivers car much more than the ATS. He said the ATS was a softer ride and very comfortable and that what he wanted right now...
Compared to his 1 series, the F30 would have been softer than ATS, I wonder why he went ATS not F30.

I do agree, although there are plenty of people who prefer the ATS style than F30, over all the ATS style is on the dull side, especially if without the HID/LED headlights, and it has no m-sport equivalent package that makes it look more aggressive like this one:

#13 ·
I'm in Miami for a long weekend and walking down the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables last night, I saw a doddering old couple, probably about 80, coming out of their car: an XTS, which is basically a bigger ATS. And I thought: I can't believe I wasted even 10 minutes considering a Cadillac this time around.

#16 · (Edited)
The XTS is not basically a larger ATS. If there is a larger ATS it would be the CTS. The XTS is a front wheel drive car and is the "traditional" Cadillac. The XTS appeals to an older clientele than the ATS just like the 7 Series appeals to an older clientele than the 3 Series. I have one of each (335 and 750) which I select depending on how old I feel when I get up in the morning.

CA

#18 ·
The Cadillac client base is getting younger, unlike the F30 base. This is why BMW made the F30 softer, to appease the older base, also why BMW finally brings us the 320i, to attract younger buyers who are more value oriented.

Although ATSs are far and few between, don't be surprised next time an F30 driver sees it, the driver in the ATS is younger.

#15 ·
What is ironic is the people who complain the loudest about ATS threads are the ones that post to them the most and keep them going.

CA

#42 ·
Give the ATS some time. The 3 series moniker has been around for far longer then Caddie's ATS moniker. A couple years down the line, we'll see it have a very big following, if not bigger(on the internet anyway) if BMW keeps up with the current trend of softening up their cars. It's losing it's core base that helped it get to where it is today - Purists.
I don't think that GM, in their wildest dreams, expected the ATS to outsell or sell even come close to selling as well as the 3 Series in the first few years of production. If the ATS is well received it will gradually gain market share.

A lot of the threads about brands that compete with BMW have a lot of preconceptions. You will see "A Mustang can't go around corners in spite of the fact that on the track they are very competitive with, and sometimes faster than an M3.

Many people choose a car brand because the way other people perceive them (or more accurately the way THEY perceive that other people perceive them) is very important to them. In the general scheme of things choosing a product based on who else you think owns that product is rather silly, but to a certain point we all do that.

I remember seeing a show on television a few years ago where there were a group of people who were taste testing vodka. Before the test they asked the participants what their favorite vodka brand was and most named Grey Goose. When the participants were aware of the brand they were tasting Grey Goose won the taste test. When they repeated the test and they did not know what brand they were tasting Grey Goose was far down on the list behind several far less expensive brands.

CA

#44 · (Edited)
I don't think that GM, in their wildest dreams, expected the ATS to outsell or sell even come close to selling as well as the 3 Series in the first few years of production. If the ATS is well received it will gradually gain market share.

A lot of the threads about brands that compete with BMW have a lot of preconceptions. You will see "A Mustang can't go around corners in spite of the fact that on the track they are very competitive with, and sometimes faster than an M3.

Many people choose a car brand because the way other people perceive them (or more accurately the way THEY perceive that other people perceive them) is very important to them. In the general scheme of things choosing a product based on who else you think owns that product is rather silly, but to a certain point we all do that.

I remember seeing a show on television a few years ago where there were a group of people who were taste testing vodka. Before the test they asked the participants what their favorite vodka brand was and most named Grey Goose. When the participants were aware of the brand they were tasting Grey Goose won the taste test. When they repeated the test and they did not know what brand they were tasting Grey Goose was far down on the list behind several far less expensive brands.

CA
Nicely said, CA! :thumbup: It's going to take some time for the ATS to gather a following but I'm sure once it does, it'll be the new 'cool' thing to have for the younger buyers that Cadillac is targeting. Believe it or not CA, McDonalds Coffee was rated as #1 in a blind taste test over Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. It just goes to show how a brand can play with peoples minds.

#29 ·
Honestly, when you buy a BMW, you know what you want. BMW's are known to be refined with a sportier 'feel' to them. Unlike it's competitors which have recently just joined the 'sporty' ball game.

#28 ·
The CTS has stolen some 3-series sales over the years - that's why its in it's second generation. The ATS will most likely do the same.

The idea that it meaningfully handles different on public roadways from a 3-series is bunk. It's barely different in instrumented testing, accounting for differences in tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.