BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW TrafficPro

12K views 120 replies 24 participants last post by  JonM 
#1 ·
I know I'll regret this since I wanted to be the first to have one, but...

Becker USA has apparently decided to finally release the BMW version of the Traffic Pro here in the States. I called Tony in support at Becker and he confirmed that it shows "BMW" when it starts, it matches the interior illumination color, and most importantly for me, it will work with I-Bus CD changers.

$499 + $55 for the wiring harness :)

Check out their message board: http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/

#105 ·
Oh really? Could you elaborate more on the adapter? :angel: I'm thinking of taking the plunge on one of these, but need to know if I can connect it to my aftermarket amplifier. Currently the amplifier connects to the headunit using RCA connections. Thanks,

Pani

#109 ·
01silber said:
Does anyones TP show the time in the lower right corner in a weird way something like
6a20
from the picture ive seen it should show a normal time stamp but mine does not
and in the pic below on the far right side where it shows almacs etc... I have never seen this on mine, any thoughts
The pic is too dark. Are you sure that it is not the estimated time of arrival that you are seeing? 6:20 AM.
The new software will be showing time of day.

#111 ·
Ron Stygar said:
The pic is too dark. Are you sure that it is not the estimated time of arrival that you are seeing? 6:20 AM.
The new software will be showing time of day.
Hmmm......, How might you know what the new software will consist of...???, oh great one.

#115 ·
Ron Stygar said:
The second pic shows the harness I received with my BMW TP a couple of years ago.

Your pic above shows only the loose reverse wire. Is the GAL/SSV wire build into the plug (pin 10)? The pic below from Rachael's Esmeralda's website shows both free reverse & GAL/SSV wires.

I just ordered mine last week with the BMW adapter, which version would I expect?

How many of the pins shown below (from Rachael's) should I get from BMW parts? For reverse wire only, or GAL/SSV also?

I have a 98 Z3 with OEM cassette player. Do I still need a star removal tool to remove the unit?

Thank you!

#116 ·
OSGP said:
Your pic above shows only the loose reverse wire. Is the GAL/SSV wire build into the plug (pin 10)? The pic below from Rachael's Esmeralda's website shows both free reverse & GAL/SSV wires.

I just ordered mine last week with the BMW adapter, which version would I expect?

How many of the pins shown below (from Rachael's) should I get from BMW parts? For reverse wire only, or GAL/SSV also?

I have a 98 Z3 with OEM cassette player. Do I still need a star removal tool to remove the unit?

Thank you!
I added pin 10 to the radio connector.
Reverse wire connects to the reverse wire in the car not the radio connector.
5 sided tool.
Connect to: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/stereo/radio_removal_tool.html

#117 ·
I just recently purchased the BMW Beckers/HK TP and I'm gonig to be hooking it up to an after market amp and speakers using the pre-amp outputs. I've got a couple of questions and comments.

Although there is a single RCA output cable in the yellow plus harness for a sub connecting, Tony at Beckers said that this fuinction is not enabled on the BMW unit. It does works on the regular HK TP but not the BMW model. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Since I'm going to be using the yellow connector with the RCA outputs, do I srtill just plug in all of the other connectors in the harness to the HU?

Do I still have to add the wire for pin 10 as well?

When my after market HU was installed I think the installers cut off and threw aay the BMW radio connector. Does anynoe know how easy or expensive it is to get another one?

Thanks.

#118 ·
Ron, a few more questions...

...if I may. I just got my TP and am in the process of installing it:

1. Which is the right way to connect the CD changer plug with the TP BMW harness?

It seems that the plug will go in either right side up or up-side down. Is there a way to hook it up correctly?

2. While trying to find the reverse wire, I couldn't locate either one of these two plugs under the shift boot:

or under the e-brake boot:

However, I found a very small plug under the center armrest with 2 wires to it, what is it? One of the wire is colored brown. If I want to ground the reverse wire, can I tap into that brown wire?

3. Where did you put your antenna?

A few unrelated TP questions. I also want to replace my leather e-brake handle with a wooden handle. What's the best way to remove the leather handle? Trying to pull it out with force? What type of adhesive can I get at Home Depot to attach the wooden handle?

Thank you for your help!

Richard :)
98 2.8 Dakar EE

#119 ·
OSGP said:
2. While trying to find the reverse wire, I couldn't locate either one of these two plugs under the shift boot:

However, I found a very small plug under the center armrest with 2 wires to it, what is it? One of the wire is colored brown. If I want to ground the reverse wire, can I tap into that brown wire?
That is the ashtray illumination harness. The brown wire on that harness is a ground wire. To find the cell phone X400 connector, check out this link . I know nothing about Traffic Pros, but I hope this helps.

#120 ·
Removing Stock e-brake Handle

OSGP said:
A few unrelated TP questions. I also want to replace my leather e-brake handle with a wooden handle. What's the best way to remove the leather handle? Trying to pull it out with force? What type of adhesive can I get at Home Depot to attach the wooden handle?
The best way is to:

1. Remove e-brake boot completely.
2. Use a flat blade screw driver to pry between the e-brake handle and the e-brake lever/metal chasis.
3. Work your way around the circumference of the handle, pry slightly as you go. Do not stick yourself with screwdriver.
4. Once you have loosened 75% of the adhesives underneath, gently begin rotating handle to break the last upper 25% free.

You will most likely destroy thestock leather handle during this process.

We recommend 3M Devcon Plastic Welder to bond the new wood or matte chrome handle on. You can get Devcon at Ace hardware stores, but I don't think Home Depot carries it. Stowbins and interior components of Boeing airplanes are put together with Devcon. Good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.