BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1200 mile break in done but

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  captbilly 
#1 ·
He only filled it what seems like only a quart of oil Vehicle Car Technology Family car Electronics

Back tomorrow to get it fixed. :/

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you take the car to dealer for 1200 miles service?

#5 ·
OP, slightly off-topic but now after 3 months / 1200 miles of ownership, how do you like the M3? I know the real fun begins after break-in but I suspect that you have some thoughts and/or regrets.

I read an earlier post where you almost purchased the C63. I'm not going to start a one vs. the other but in general I like the C63. Pros and cons to both and by extension the RS5. However, for a new vehicle, the value proposition is in favor of the M3. Your deal, at $8k under invoice, wow, speechless.

What color interior did you get? If leather, extended or standard?

On-topic, looks like 1 quart below capacity.

#7 ·
OP, slightly off-topic but now after 3 months / 1200 miles of ownership, how do you like the M3? I know the real fun begins after break-in but I suspect that you have some thoughts and/or regrets.

I read an earlier post where you almost purchased the C63. I'm not going to start a one vs. the other but in general I like the C63. Pros and cons to both and by extension the RS5. However, for a new vehicle, the value proposition is in favor of the M3. Your deal, at $8k under invoice, wow, speechless.

What color interior did you get? If leather, extended or standard?

On-topic, looks like 1 quart below capacity.
The only regret I have is for not getting an M3 sooner. I was very close to getting a C63, I had actually put in my order for it and I would of had it in May. Honestly though, as much as I love the C63 and that monster 6.2L engine, the M3 is just so much more rewarding. The harder you drive it, the better and better it gets. Nothing feels as tight, or as balanced as the M3. The RS5(Audi is across the street from BMW) was nice but the reward wasn't as great. I love the way that car looks though. I have been an avid fan of what the M3 was about for years. High revving naturally aspirated engine, and balance. Nobody else has been able to find out as of today how BMW balances the M3 so well. There's a reason the S65 has won engine of the year every single year since it's inception in the M3 coupe.

I have Le Mans Blue Metallic, on Black Extended Leather.

#6 · (Edited)
The first photo posted indicates he's 1/2 quart low. The second indicates also half a quart low. As long as you don't get a warning telling you to add oil, there's no problem. Your car is currently within the acceptable operating range. Since it's still a very fresh motor, though, it's probably going to use some more oil between changes (as mine did). I had to add some at about 3000 miles.

Since our cars don't have a manual dipstick, it can be a real pain to get the oil level spot-on. Don't be too upset with the service department, especially if they don't give you any grief about topping it off.

Other than that, did it feel like your car "came alive" after the service? Mine did...she wanted to RUN.

#8 ·
The first photo posted indicates he's 1/2 quart low. The second indicates a full quart low.
You know, they kind of look the same (1/2 low) to me?

At least on mine, the two images (idrive or cluster) are always consistent. I could well be wrong, so would be curious what your experience is.

#9 · (Edited)
Mine are consistent as well, as long as I'm viewing them both at the same time. It's possible the OP took his photos a few minutes (or more) apart, so more (or less) oil could have remained in the crankcase. Either way, it's not full.

When my car spit out the "add oil" warning several thousand miles ago, I dumped in a full quart and it measured right at the top mark on both displays.

#19 ·
NH, I'll be writing a full review of my M3 vs the C63 vs the RS5. I have driven all of them and have a feel for how the cars handle and drive. Look for that on Sunday.

#25 ·
Dropped mine off today for the 1200 miles service can you tell the difference after first service?

#26 ·
oil sensor

At my 1200 service the car was overfilled by a slight amount, probably 200 ml. Of course there is no way to know this until the some oil is drained and the sensor can recalibrate. This is the reason for my post. This sensor when it is operating properly takes at least 30 minutes of running time to show changes in the oil level. This certainly happened to me when I had some removed but the sensor still showed High for miles before recalibrating. You can do a forced measurement once the engine is warm but this is not as accurate.

#27 ·
At my 1200 service the car was overfilled by a slight amount, probably 200 ml. Of course there is no way to know this until the some oil is drained and the sensor can recalibrate. This is the reason for my post. This sensor when it is operating properly takes at least 30 minutes of running time to show changes in the oil level. This certainly happened to me when I had some removed but the sensor still showed High for miles before recalibrating. You can do a forced measurement once the engine is warm but this is not as accurate.
And to think that a sensor would be better than a traditional dipstick:(

#29 ·
Service does not like to top it off because....

Your level is completely OK, about 1/2 liter low (or above the minimum, depends on if you are a half empty or half full kind of guy), so you don't need to do anything. The reason that most dealers only fill to this level is that if they even slightly overfill, or if the level sensor changes a bit and now indicates an overfill, they have to drain all the oil and start over again. If you have checked your oil level sensor much you will notice that it move around a fair bit from time to time, so the dealers are now very wary about getting near the top lest the reading go over the top and throw an error message (so they have to drain it).

My issue is that the car does burn some oil (about a liter every 8000 miles) and the oil is very hard to find (not to mention being insanely expensive) so I don't want to be stuck 200 miles from anywhere that I can buy the oil when I am low on oil. I always ask the dealer to give me an extra quart of oil to put in the trunk so that I can top off when needed. So far that extra quart has been enough to get me to the next oil change, even though the car came back from the dealer with 1/2 liter below full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.