BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPod in BMW 7er E65

60K views 199 replies 57 participants last post by  utwes 
#1 · (Edited)
Almost every week, there is someone asking about iPod integration in the BMW 7.
So, here's the big BMW E65/E66 iPod thread!!!!

as far as I know, there are 2 different 7's
2002-2005
2005-2007

Offcourse you could use one of the many FM transmitters, but as everyone knows, it never really works as well as a integration option.
If you are a true technican, this might be the best option to go for. But it is complicated, and you might damage things you don't want to damage.
As most of the guys on bimmerfest know, the E65 doesn't support the audio tags. In a pre-2005 model, you won't see the tracknames but just track 1, track 2, and so on. In the 2005-now models, you also see the track name in the display.

a couple of known iPod integration products:

Mobridge

This might be the miracle solution. A member of Bimmerfest installed it succesfully.

Dension
A mainly European solution for iPod in the 7. Works for every E65/E66 model. But, you'll have to give up the CD changer option.

Nav TV
They offer a wide selection of products fit for the M.O.S.T. interface (which is also in the E65/E66). They also have a video input option.

Dice Electronics
A integration solution like the one from Dension.

offcourse BMW itself also supplies a iPod integration. But they only offer it starting at the 2005 model.
A iPod ashtray dock is also handy.

Remarks are very welcome!

See less See more
#36 ·
+1

#37 ·
Is this one of those "all show no go" threads?

#39 ·
Well... U just placed a brief overview of what's possible.
Bottomline is that it's simply difficult to have your iPod connected in the 7 < '04.

#44 ·
With good reason - we've been busy testing and installing on various models for mObridge and creating instructions to use with their kits.

Expect a new thread about this very soon.

#48 ·
CHANDA22

You need to speak with Danny ( BMW TECH ) this guy knows everything and anything about bmw cars.

Go back there and ask for Jesse in Service tell him I sent you.
I had Jesse once as a SA. He's the younger SA there. Next time I head out there, I will ask him. As for Danny, I don't think I have talked to him. Thanks for the info! I hope it works out. Only problem is I am sure it will cost an arm and leg to get it installed.

#51 ·
There are lots of threads about iPod connectivity in the E65/E66. I have searched and searched, and I still can't figure out what the best option is for my car. I just got a 2007 E66 with premium audio. It has an Aux In and the 6 disc changer. I want iPod through the iDrive, and if there's a way to add it, HD Radio. What are the best options?

Any help would be appreciated.

#64 ·
My BMW dealer is currently uninstalling and refunding the factory iPod adapter. I have hundreds of albums, and the 255 folder limit thing makes the adapter worthless. mObridge claims their adapter does not have such a limitation. I'll try that one next.

Now if I could just figure out how to get HD Radio, I'd be all set. Is there a solution? I didn't see anything from Dice for an E66.

#56 ·
------ Forwarded Message
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:51:06 -0400
Subject: RE: Web Reply SALES

We do not have a full control and display iPod unit for BMW. Feel free to
check again in the upcoming months.

Susanne Lazarev
Account Relations Manager/ Sales
100 N.W. 11th Street Unit A
Boca Raton, Florida 33432
1-866-477-3336 ext 119
Please join our new forum!
http://www.navtv.com/forum/

------ End of Forwarded Message

#58 ·
I believe it was for 1-2 hours of labor. Whatever your local rate is, I'm not sure. + the $299 for the adapter. On a 2006+, I recommend the adapter.

#59 ·
Did anyone get confirmation about the "retrofit available for ipod, sirius, Aux for ALL 2002 and up 7 series. I was talking to the tech at shelly bmw and was amazed on what he was saying. The direct ipod interface will eliminate the changer but will show an ipod Icon on the idrive."

This sounds far too good to be true, but since it also sounds like the Blue Fairy I need to at least check into it!

#65 ·
I think I'm going cheap and will try the whole-house-fm-transmitter in my car and see how it goes.

Of course FM will never be remotely comparable to direct line out but I'm sick of having to pay hundreds of dollars with limited functionality.

The whole-house-fm-transmitter (http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com/) should be better than the regular FM transmitter as after all, it was designed for 150 feet+ coverage.

I plan to use it with the Griffin AutoPilot (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot) so the iPod will automatically pause as I shut down the car, and hopefully can find a good place to mount the control for playing and skipping tracks.

Will keep everyone posted.

#67 ·
Let me know as well how it goes for ya, I need something like this just have'nt got around to doing it.

Sunny dont you have the monster FM transmitter? if so , hows that?

#74 ·
Damn it, how the hell can it send the signal through the whole house, but in 7 you have static??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.