BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So far

4K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  NewGTGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
The good and bad surprises after just four days.
Good surprises:
Very little blind spots at all. The best I've ever noticed in a SUV.
No lag, I mean no lag at takeoff. Your biggest problem will be spilling your drink at takeoff and a rolling punch will introduce you to the comfortable headrest.
For me the X5 is the perfect size, not too big/small with a solid feel and handling.
I was concerned about the turning radius specs but I am happily surprised being wrong.
Ac vents, back of console, rear door jambs and cargo area are very strong without sacrificing the front dash vents. They do their job.
Car phone volume very clean after testing receiving a call in the car and calling from my house phone with the wife driving. My Lexus LX460 can't compete with it. It's great.

The not so good surprises:
No audio volume indicator. I mean really, why?
No good spots for radar hard wire as lack of tint near top of windshield. I like to keep it hidden from cops and thieves. Don't want a built in unit. Oh well.
Bottom seat cushion kind of HARD (comfort seats) but the other parts are absolutely worth the bucks. A little more foam please, my butt will thank you later.
Running boards look great and keeps the lower body free of debris but can pose a real problem for most/all people getting in and out. I'm 6'4" and the wife 5'7" and it's a no go.
Middle console could have a better latch system, really.

These thoughts are not in order of importance and taken from my experience from some of my past favorite vehicles and I share them for future buyer's interest. I know I will have more of both as the fun continues. Oh, I love this thing.

See less See more
#2 ·
No audio volume indicator. I mean really, why?
Yep, a real peeve for me. What kind of makes up for it is that the iDrive normalizes the volume back after a start up. So if I crank it up, then shut down the car, and restart it later, it won't start at the cranked up volume.

Running boards look great and keeps the lower body free of debris but can pose a real problem for most/all people getting in and out. I'm 6'4" and the wife 5'7" and it's a no go.
Read about that too and passed on the running boards. Yep, if you're around 6' or more, you can just step up or down without them. Not sure what I'll do when my baby is older though, I might retro fit it with running boards if it's a problem.

#3 ·
Are you talking about the front driver/passenger arm rest console with the double opening?

If so yeah...those are a pain if you don't take your time. I've found it opens easier if you press the button first, then lift up. If you lift and press at the same time, it tends to stick a bit more.

#4 ·
Dude, you are wrong, again. Here's how to open it with no stress, push it down, press the button, then lift, wha la!

#5 ·
I forgot about the roof rails, I have them but the X5 looks sleek and clean without . Don't know when I would ever have a use for them and though about doing a change order and had a mental lapse. BMW should work on designing them to pop off when not in use, I think.

#6 ·
I have ordered roof rails as well. Thinking of removing it. Is this installed at the dealer?

Note: My X5 is currently in production.

#9 ·
No engine temperature gauge is much worse than no volume indicator...IMO

A

#11 ·
Totally agree !!!
first experienced that on my 3 series, but it seems to be a growing trend across all OEMs !
just an excuse to save some cents (their end) no save for you !

#15 ·
When I checked out the fender wells I noticed the strange looking material the X5 has there. Do you think high pressure water for cleaning will disturb it?

#18 ·
whichever way you put it on it will touch the roof, its a tree with branches and needles, it aint a stiff 2x4.
i put a contractor plastic bag in between.

#19 ·
The good and bad surprises after just four days.
Good surprises:
No lag, I mean no lag at takeoff. Your biggest problem will be spilling your drink at takeoff and a rolling punch will introduce you to the comfortable headrest.
For me the X5 is the perfect size, not too big/small with a solid feel and handling.
I just got back from an 1800 mile trip from the performance center (a 3.5d picked it up on 6/10). My previous X5 was a 3.0 E53; this new one feels a lot bigger to me. It didn't feel so much bigger until I got it home and started driving in familiar territory.

With this E70, normal mode is kinda 'sluggish' by comparison to the E53 and sport mode stays in the lower gears too long. I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges though because I always drove my E70 in sport mode and I'm driving the E70 primarily in normal mode. When I knew that the E53 was going to shift to fast for me (ie, not stay in the low gears long enough), I would do it myself -- however, I drove a standard transmission for 20 years so I know when to shift (up or down) in anticipation of what I'm going to do -- I know that a car can't read my mind. Perhaps they re-tuned the sport mode for the E70 to stay in the lower gears longer to be even more 'sporty' for those who don't know or when to shift themselves. I don't know -- just speculating.

So what I'm doing is keeping it in normal mode if the speed limit is below 45. Over that, I switch to sport. One problem that I have is that I'm so used to down shifting that I've put the car into neutral a couple of times -- which is disconcerting because when you're downshifting, neutral is the Worst thing to do!

One thing that I REALLY like over my E53 is that I'm getting hardly any body roll now. I added adaptive drive to my E70. I didn't test it out so much on the drive home because my 9yo son was with me, but this morning, in both sport modes (the xmission and the suspension), I did a hard left Really fast -- onto a 3-lane access road for swing-out safety. That would have really rocked my E53. This thing went right into the intended lane and acted like it was on rails -- sweet! After 7 years, I was used to the roll on the E53 so I could control it, but I'm sure that it looked like I was out of control to everyone else around me...

Roof rails? Since my old one had them, I got them on the new one. I never used them on the old one, but I was so used to them, I thought that it looked more like a van without them. Perhaps if I hadn't had the E53 for so long, my opinion would be different.

#21 ·
"I think it would be nice to pop them off until I find a use for them."

The holes left behind.......... yes, those holes on your roof.

#22 ·
No no, it would be like surface mount latches. Speaking of which, the divider bar for the cargo area, is that standard or an option? Mine did not come with one, just the latches.

#24 ·
That's what I figured. Runningboard looks good only on light colors, on black? its just wrong.

#28 ·
"diesel gets the stupid "mpg" gauge instead"

the 35i has that too........ FYI. And I wouldn't call it stupid.

#30 ·
It's stupid, like I need to know that I'm getting 5 MPG at takeoff (every time I take off). Other brands have that info on the system check steering wheel control without taking up precious real estate on the dash. :thumbdwn:

#32 ·
What I dislike is the frickin cruise control stick, I have gotten it mixed up with the turn signal numerous times. It is so awkward, and it was so much better on the X3 where the buttons are on the steering wheel. :thumbdwn::violent:

#33 ·
Yep, just some little things like that BUT I can't wait for any reason to drive it again.

#34 ·
you still haven't posted any pics of your whip......... makes me think that its all MADE UP? LOL

#35 ·
Will have to take some soon but it's your basic white on black, first for me. Recent black Avalanche, current black Lexus, traded blue Porsche, current dark green Chevy diesel mule. I need to be a silent owner at my local car wash. Rains almost every day in the Summer here. I have seen some really nice color combos on this forum, pics have been great.

#37 ·
Bottom seat cushion kind of HARD (comfort seats) but the other parts are absolutely worth the bucks. A little more foam please, my butt will thank you later.
Give it a little time. I noticed this when I first got my X5 as well. Now with 5000 miles, they have loosened up and feel much better.

P.S. I'm 6'4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.