BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power Steering Leak

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  danhoy3 
#1 ·
When it rains it pours, it hasn't been a good month for our beloved e30, but we must charge forward.

With that said, I believe the high pressure hose that runs to the power steering pump is leaking. A lot. Maybe about a cup a day. I plan on changing all the power steering hoses on Monday along with the steering rack because that's leaking as well.

So my question is; is it okay to continue driving it with it leaking? Or if I decide to put no fluid and deal with no power steering, will it make the pump burn out?

We planned a trip this weekend, about 200 miles round trip and we planned on taking the e30.

Thanks in advanced!

#6 ·
it does run from crank, water pump, then power steering on the m20s, but the alternator belt does the same. so you still have 1 belt that runs the water pump until you can get it fix

#8 ·
It's not good for the system. You would have to flush the system a few times after you fix it. It can cause unwanted pressure, because of its viscosity and any chunks that melt to seal, which can blow the seals out of the rack or pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.