BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why so hard to price Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads on the Internet?

33K views 104 replies 20 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: According to Zeckhausen, Axxis is no longer sold in the USA (I couldn't find any front pads for my 2002 525i; folks are just dumping their existing stock, according to Zeckhausen (but not confirmed by other sellers).

Is it your experience that is it rather confusing to price Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads on the Internet?

I want to try the oft-recommended low-dusting Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads, but, I find that the web sites I surveyed have an extremely confusing array of similar-sounding selections, with vastly different prices!

A quarter of the time, I can't tell WHAT they're selling because they don't provide enough information.

Sure, if they said they were selling the "Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic FRONT Brake Pad Set", I could easily price compare. Even if they said they were selling them by the previous name, "Axxis Deluxe Plus Brake Pad Set", I could easily compare.

But nooooo! I find these same pads (apparently) go under a variety of brand names (with different prices!) such as "PBR", "MetalMaster", "Repco", "Axxis" ... all of which are (apparently) the same pads made by Bendix Mintex in Australia.

Half the time the web sites don't even specify the model name; they just specify the brand (generally PBR, MetalMaster, or Axxis, but, sometimes Mintex). Some of them specify "organic" or "ceramic" ... but apparently the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads are "ceramic-enhanced organic pads" and "formulated from ceramic NAO materials", whatever that means.

Given that huge plethora of confusing lookups, I made a first-pass survey on the Internet at the current price and availability for the 2002 BMW 525i sedan - and was shocked that well-recommended houses (such as Zeckhausen and EAC Tuning and Pacific BMW, etc.) didn't even stock these often-recommended brake pads.

Here's the result of my preliminary survey this morning:
- alloembmwparts.com ($50, PN:W0133-1620925)
- apexperformance.net (NA)
- bavarian autosport ($45, very confusing, mintex, PN:MDB 1817D)
- bimmerpartswholesale.com ($50, but confusing words, PN:W0133-1620925)
- bmaparts.com ($65, confusing name PBR Ceramic PN:BMW077021)
- bmwautobodypartstore.com ($70, PN:N1010-65135)
- buybrakes.com (NA)
- catalog.brakewarehouse.com ($60)
- catalog.worldpac.com ($68)
- circlebmw (NA, couldn't find the parts & price listed)
- crevier (NA, couldn't find the parts & price listed)
- crownbmw (NA, couldn't find the parts & price listed)
- eactuning.com (NA)
- europartsdirect.com ($48, hard to tell brand & model, PN:BMW077021)
- getbmwparts.com (NA)
- KO Performance (NA)
- Pacific BMW (NA, couldn't find)
- Pelican (NA)
- performance.importrp.com ($41)
- ***********.com ($50)
- Turner Motorsport (NA, only serve other BMW models)
- Zechhausen (NA, only have the rears)

My (confused) question is ... is it just me or is it terribly confusing to get price and availability on something as simple as the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic FRONT Brake Pad Set?"

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems to me you've spent more time than you'll save in money so far; just buy them from a reputable supplier, and don't worry about saving $15.

BTW, I've been using them on all my German cars for more than 30 years, and I'm quite satisfied. They're easy on rotors, too, besides the lack of dust.

#4 ·
just buy them from a reputable supplier
I understand this recommendation ... but ... you have to then add the caveat:

"Just buy them from a reputable supplier AND you MUST call them up to confirm they are actually the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads ... because ... you can't tell from their Internet web sites!"

It's my experience (from this search), that you MUST use the telephone (unfortunately)!

:(

#3 ·
An alternative are the Akebono Euro - also low dust.
I mounted those last weekend on my car paired with Zimmermann cross drilled (for bling).
So far so good. Almost OEM feel.
Not sure about pricing (more or less $$ compared to Axxis).
Concerning the physical aspect - as opposed to the Axxis, the Akebono look identical to any of the OEM pads (Pagid, Jurid etc)

#6 ·
What's wrong with using the telephone?
I prefer it.
I was trying to do a survey of the entire Internet; the telephone isn't as efficient as the web for that kind of data collection. Besides, I did all that research overnight so nobody would have been there to pick up the phone! :)

If I wasn't doing a survey, and, if I already KNEW the top-3 suppliers to go to for price & quality for the Axxis Deluxe Advanced front brake pads, the telephone would have been fine (as in this thread).

BTW, thanks for the information about Turner (it wasn't on the web site) and Speednetmotorsports is a new one to me (it's not in the top-20 suppliers thread).

As for MetalMasters & Axxis Ultimates ... it's hard to tell the difference between 'em since MetalMasters is (apparently) the same company as "Axxis" according to the links I previously posted. There may be absolutely no difference between 90% of the "things" called "ceramic MetalMasters" or "ceramic Axxis" or "ceramic PBR", or "ceramic Mintex", etc. I'm thoroughly confused about all this name-brand duplication (and I think that's what they had intended from the start).

As for the ceramic versus the semi-ceramic Axxis-branded front pads, I wanted to try the low-dusting of the Axxis Deluxe Advanced and I don't race ...

#7 ·
Bluebee:

For MANY years PBR/Axxis made:

1. Deluxe (less dust, not up for track duty)
2. Metal Masters (lots of dust, OK for DE, not racing)

These were the only two options and though they didn't admit it ... the compounds eventually changed (progress no doubt).

In the last several years they have re-introduced and re-marketed basically the same product, updated as necessary. From my understanding, pads are a lot like batteries, there are only a few manufacturers and LOTS of re-branders (excluding the high-end race pads form Pagid, Carbotech, Porter, Performance Friction, etc...). Getting what you are asking for can be a challenge and I have found that working with one supplier that also races the same MFG pad can get you the true info on pad life, performance, hidden gotchas.

I have Mintex reds on my touring and they have pitted my ASA AR1 wheels with hot pad material flaking off. They also produce a red dust within one or two driving cycles after a wash. I would not buy them again even though they are barely worn after lots of miles. I also noticed they have even pitted the black paint on the inside of the rim (take the wheels off often to make repairs, etc...).

I'm going with the recommended dustless pads (Akebono Euro) next....just hope to not ruin they wheels more. I'll do somoe research and see if they are made at the same plant as several others and whether the formula is truly proprietary or it is marketing hype.

#8 ·
I'm going with the dustless Akebono Euro next....I'll do some research ... whether the formula is truly proprietary or it is marketing hype.
Thanks. I wish EVERYONE would post some actual research on the most-recommended brake pads (e.g., Axxis Deluxe Advanced, Axxiss Ultimates, Akebono Euro, etc.) so we can separate the marketing from the hype.

I suspect they change the wording by ten words or so, and they can get an extra ten dollars per set out of the dumbest of us who rely solely on the marketing hype!

Like you, I hope not to be one to fall for the hyperbole so I appreciate anyone posting FACTS about the most-often-recommended pads!

#10 ·
Wow. I knew about PBR/Axxis, did not know all the other brand names were same manufacturer.

LOVE the PBR Deluxe on my 530, feels OEM to me for street driving and so little dust its amazing.

Chief -- thanks for link, will check out when I need to replace.

#11 · (Edited)
Wow. I knew about PBR/Axxis, did not know all the other brand names were same manufacturer.
All I want is the best price for Axxis Deluxe Advanced front pads! :(
But I agree, it's terribly confusing to me as I try to sort out this information.

Half the time the ad just says "Axxis ceramic" or "Axxis organic" (which is meaningless, you'll see, by the end of this post. Others say PBR. Still others say Bendix or MetalMasters (confusing brands and parent companies).

Even the "reputable" guys are hard to follow.

This Zeckhausen article says "Axxis pads are manufactured by Bendix Mintex in Australia" and that "Axxis Deluxe Advanced were formerly called Axxis Deluxe Plus" (yet see below how Zeckhausen can't possibly be correct) and it says they're "ceramic-enhanced organic pads"; yet the Axxis Ultimates are supposedly the "ceramic" pads.

While the word ceramic in brake pads is almost meaningless, people here seem to refer the Axxis Ultimates as the Axxis ceramic pads (yet, clearly the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads also have ceramics in them).

Even as I knew the word ceramic, is meaningless, it seems, in the context of choosing amongst Axxis pads, it seems half the Internet ads classify the Axxis pads as ceramic or organic and you're supposed to choose between them. You can't possibly do this scientifically based on the ads themselves!

To make it even more confusing, listen to the genesis of the Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced/Plus pads in this article where it says:
- First there was the original Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads (presumably asbestos)
- Then came Axxis Deluxe Plus Brake Pads, an asbestos-free organic
- Today it's Axxis Deluxe Advanced, a family of ceramic materials

See? Zeckhausen equates Axxis Deluxe Plus with Axxis Deluxe Advanced, yet, they can't possibly be the same because one is organic the other organic with ceramics.

To confuse things even more, they call the material in Axxis Deluxe Plus "ceramic NAO" where NAO, I think, means non-asbestos organic, so, what is it? Ceramic? or Organic? It's sooooo confusing!

This link, among others, intimates these are all from the same company:
Repco Mintex Axxis PBR MetalMasters and to that we can add Bendix (as in Bendix Mintex) and Deluxe (as in Axxis Deluxe) and Ultimates (as in Axxis Ultimates).

All I want is to purchase from a web site a low-dusting great front pad at a good price without having to wade through miles of advertising BS (even the revered Turner Motorsport apparently doesn't put their availability truthfully on the Internet).

Even where they come from is confusing, as most people say Axxis pads are made in Australia but they're apparently actually made in Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, the U.S. and Canada.

I'm just wondering if it's just me or do they make it really hard to make an informed decision on the Internet?

I'm soooo confused!
All I want is the best price for Axxis Deluxe Advanced front pads! :(

Attachments

#12 ·
Like I said, TALK to Turner.
CALL them.
They will clarify.

Also CALL Dave Zeckhausen.
Don't be afraid to call.

IMO, you can't wrong with the Axxis Metal Masters, or the Ultimates from what I have heard.
The tech at Turner says that the Deluxes just have a little bit better cold bite, but sacrifice that cold bite for some of the warmer bite.
Talk to Doug at Turner.
He has an E39 525i.
He also has the Axxis Deluxes on his car too.

Also try talking to Michel/ mmm635.
He is VERY knowledgeable.

All of this picking apart really does nothing IMO.
All to save a few bucks...?
It's not really worth it IMO.

Thanks!
Jason

#22 ·
All of this picking apart really does nothing IMO.
All to save a few bucks...?
It's not really worth it IMO.
What I'm trying to do is survey and report back results.

The point isn't only to save a few bucks.

The point is to select the BEST (top 3) suppliers for the most-recommended low-dusting street pads (i.e., Axxis Deluxe Advanced).

The PROBLEM with that survey isn't my fault:
- Very many brand names are the same thing! (with differential pricing!)
- Many manufacturers are the same thing! (again, with different prices!)
- Even models are often listed as the same thing (witness the Axxis Deluxe Advanced half the time being said to be the same as the Axxis Deluxe Plus, while the other half the time they're said to be different materials!)

If the only intent of all my posts were to find the immediate answer, then I wouldn't have made 99% of the two thousand or so posts I have on Bimmerfest in the past two years.

The point is to LEARN and to ADD VALUE such that the next person can pick up where we (the royal we) left off.

At the moment, I don't have the top-3 suppliers (by price) for the Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads ... not for lack of trying ... but for lack of consistent information!

But, I'll keep trying until we do!

#13 ·
Like I said, TALK to Turner.
CALL them.
They will clarify.
I've had good experience with Turner, if they sell them I'd agree good idea to get them there.

Also try talking to Michel/ mmm635.
He is VERY knowledgeable.
Agree with this too -- always a good idea to ask Michel almost anything about these cars.

#14 ·
I agree that the labeling of Axxis pads is a bit misleading. From what I have seen, the original Axxis Deluxe has been replaced by the Deluxe Plus and is non-ceramic and "organic" (carbon based?). The Advanced appears to be their newer ceramic formulation. You left one vendor off your list: OEMBimmerparts.com. They carry PBR/Axxis and have the Deluxe Plus for $50 and the Ceramic for $59 for the 528 & 525 e39s. They also have the same pad sets labeled for "530i & 540i" which is for 01+ 530s and 96+ 540s. I am guessing you need the former. I've had the older Axxis Deluxe all around on my previous e39 and now have the Akebono Euros on the front and the Axxis Advanced (ceramic) on the rears on my current e39. The older Deluxe would squeal occasionally, requiring rebedding the pads. The Euros are quieter and never squeal. Dust levels are about the same (the Euro dust is a fine white powder making it almost invisible). Brake bite and feel (linearity) are about the same, both are notcieably not as good as OEM pads, but you get adapt to the differences very quickly

#15 ·
both are noticeably not as good as OEM pads
Oh my! I thought the whole point of the non-OEM pads was to get just-as-good braking with less dusting?

The picture in post #1 above says (verbatim) "Axxis Deluxe Advanced gives you uncompromising performance - equal to or better than the O.E. brake pads - with an exceptionally smooth pedal feel and hardly any detectable level of brake dust".

And, the Zeckhausen advertising says (verbatim) "Axxis Deluxe Advanced ... has the grip and fade resistance required for performance cars. These ceramic-enhanced organic pads continue to work well at temperatures up to 716 °F, similar to OEM pads. The only thing you give up is the dust!"

This is very important!

I don't want LESS braking than the OEM (Jurid/Textar) pads I have on now!

Are you SURE the Axxis Deluxe Advanced ceramic non-asbestos organic pads "are noticeably not as good as OEM"????? (that would nix them as a selection, if that is true)

Attachments

#21 ·
Pick up the phone and call Dave Zeckhausen.
I've already read everything on his web site and I did talk to him last time I put on the Jurid/Textars (front/rear) ... but it's too late to call him now.

I'll call him in the morning. But, the problem is that it's soooo confusing all this data that makes no sense that it will be hard to pose the right question to him.

All I want is to survey prices & availability for the most recommended low-dusting OEM performance pads, which I think is the ceramic non-asbestos organic Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads (based on what many people say here and on web sites such as Dave Zeckhausen's and others already quoted).

It shouldn't be this hard to price 10 suppliers!

#24 ·
Strike alloembmwparts.com off the list of Axxis Deluxe Advanced vendors

The confusion starts with the very first test (alphabetically):

- alloembmwparts.com does not list Axxis as available brake pads
- they have Bendix pads (but is Bendix the same as "Bendix Mintex" who makes the Axxis pads???)
- they have PBR pads (and PBR is another name for Axxis)
- but, the PBR pads are merely listed as "Deluxe"
- I can't tell if they are Deluxe Advanced or Deluxe Plus or just Deluxe
- I can only assume they are PBR Deluxe (which is what it says they are); and therefore they are not Axxis Deluxe Advanced.
- Therefore, I must strike them off the list.

Note: As an aside, notice they sell the PBR Ultimates and PBR Metal Masters, which, we've been told, I believe, are the same pads. Yet they sell for a different price!

Attachments

#25 ·
Strike bavauto.com off the list (they do not sell Axxis Deluxe Advanced)

Well, the second (alphabetically) on the list also needs to be stricken from the list of sellers of Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads.

- http://www.bavauto.com lists Mintex pads but not Axxis pads
- But wait, isn't the Axxis company also known as Bendix Mintex?
- So, um, wouldn't that make Mintex pads the same as Axxis pads?
- Who knows. I don't.

So I have to strike bavauto off the list of potential Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pad suppliers.

Attachments

#26 ·
bimmerpartswholesale.com

bimmerpartswholesale.com has the same horror story as did alloembmwparts.com so they must be the same company.

- They sell PBR Metal Master pads at a different price than PBR Ultimates even though we're told they're the same thing.
- They sell PBR Deluxe pads but I can't tell if that's the same or different from Axxis Deluxe Advanced or Axxis Deluxe Plus pads
- So, strike yet another off the list.

#30 ·
bmaparts.com

The bmaparts.com front brake pad sets are listed here ...
- They carry Mintex & PBR but you have to dig for which ones
- Let's take the PBR first - they say "organic", so they probably can't be the ceramic non-asbestos organic "Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced" pads.
- Likewise with the Mintex, except they don't even say WHAT they are made of

Given the paucity of information at this web site, we have to strike yet another (the 15th supplier) off the list for finding the top 3 Axxis Deluxe Advanced suppliers on the net.

After 15 dead ends, I'm beginning to wish I had started looking for a more common pad!

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
bmwautobodypartstore.com

bmwautobodypartstore.com has only the PBR Deluxe & PBR Metal Masters & PBR Ultimate brake pad set at this web page.

- As with others, they don't provide enough information on the PBR Deluxe to tell if it's equivalent to the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads ...
- And we already know the PBR MetalMasters are not at all equivalent to the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads
- Yet, we do know the PBR Metal Masters are the same as the PBR Ultimate brake pads - so why do they sell them at a whopping 10% different price?
- Not only do we have marketing hype adding 10% to the price of the brake pads (for no other gain); but we don't have our desired Axxis Deluxe Advanced listed ... so ...
- So, we have to now strike off the 16th member of our potential list, having found almost none which sell the desired brake pads.

Attachments

#32 ·
So I called the 24-hour sales department for the prior post and the guy didn't know much about brakes at all.

After a looong while, he concluded that the PBR Deluxe were metallic brake pads, and that the ones I wanted were ceramic non-asbestos organic.

Therefore, we have conclusive proof that they don't carry the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads.

The telephone call took a long time (mostly because the guy didn't know anything about brake pads) but I'm coming to the conclusion that the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads aren't so easy to find on the net.

Next post will be the 17th supplier.

#33 · (Edited)
catalog.brakewarehouse.com

Here's the related web page for the catalog.brakewarehouse.com for the 2002 BMW 525i front pads.

Surprisingly, in the "Nugeon" section, we finally find a supplier for the Axxis Deluxe Advanced front brake pads!

Out of the 17 suppliers we checked so far, only this one definitely sells the Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads!

But, the confusion factor is still there ... what on earth is Nugeon?

And, worse confusion yet, what happened to the NAO designation?

These pads are called "ceramic" but we know them to not be wholly ceramic, they're "ceramic non-asbestos organic" whereas the Axxis Ultimates are more properly called "ceramic".

The confusion reigns anew!

Attachments

#34 ·
Blue:

I've used both PBR/Axxis: "Deluxe" and "MetalMaster" on the same car...they were definitely different pads. Metalmaster were marketed for a long time as "metallic" content, harsh-er on rotors and had a higher operating temp than the deluxe. I had both on the same car and can say that their "hype" was somewhat accurate. The deluxe produced less dust/bite than the metalmasers which in turn produced less dust/ initial bite than the oem jurid/textar.

Who is to say that PBR/Axxis didn't merge with Bendix (or others) over the years and that the resulting "group" didn't then decide to cash in on the good reputation / brand name recognition of the metalmasters to push whatever compound they wanted to?

Nugeon is a brake caliper remanufacturer ... Pelicanparts.com sells their remanufactured calipers for lots of BMWs. I have a set on the front of my touring right now. Apparent;y, from your reserach, they also sell pads.

If you think this researh is confusing ... wait until you have to (choose to) research "loaded" versus "unloaded" calipers (purchasing a remfg. caliper with or without pads) and try to determine what exact pads the caliper is loaded with. LOL.

#35 ·
I've used both PBR/Axxis: "Deluxe" and "MetalMaster" on the same car...they were definitely different pads.
I don't doubt you. I'm just waaaay confused. Look at post #17 above where it distinctly implies Axxis Ultimates and PBR Ultimates and MetalMasters are the same pad!

Yet, I'm sure you're right. The point is it's almost impossible to get any reasonable headway here on making sense of brake friction materials. Sigh. :(

Later today I'll try to continue my search, which, after 16 duds, finally came up with an ad I can (almost) believe for the Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads!

It really shouldn't be this miserable to make sense of Internet purchases!

#37 ·
Bluebee have you called Dave Z at Zechausen yet? I recommend you do, he is very helpful.

#40 ·
Yes. I had called very early this morning (California time). What they told me gave me a shock since NOBODY else told me that Axxis is essentially kaput in the United States!

This "might" explain why it's so hard to find prices & availability for the highly-recommended Axxis Deluxe Advanced front brake pads.

Is this NEW information?

I called Zeckhausen twice just to make sure they were telling me the same new-to-me story each time.

I wasn't surprised that they explained to me "advertised pad composition was meaningless"; but I was knocked out of my seat when they said nobody sells Axxis in the USA anymore!

Specifically, Zeckhausen says they no longer sell or stock any Axxis pads because Axxis is no longer selling in the United States and hasn't sold in the United States for months.

They weren't sure about the PBR brand though, and they said PBR is a DIFFERENT company! (Yet again, this is conflictingly confusing information!!!!!!)

Too bad (for me, and for them) though, as Axxis was their biggest seller.

#42 ·
AXXIS DELUXE! :banghead: Ooops, sorry, we've been down that road already! :rofl:

I think if you go with the Akebono Euros, you will not be sorry. A bit pricier than the Axxis but every bit as good feel as the Axxis, just as clean (Soo much better than OEM!) and never a squeak. I have yet to read of anyone who has regretted buying the Euros. And that is always the best sign, satisfied customers! :thumbup:

#43 ·
+1, I think the Akebono Euro ceramic is the next logical choice.

#45 ·
I didn't see this when I posted back to the Oembimmerparts guys.

I'm going to go with them "if" the Axxis-PBR Deluxe Plus is "equivalent" to the often-recommended Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced front pads.

Depending on the answer, I may finally give up on trying anything Axxis or PBR (as it's just toooooooooo confusing to make an informed decision) ... and go with the next-most recommended Akebono Euros!

Time will tell ...

#50 ·
First impressions, so far, are that the PBR Deluxe Advanced front brake pads don't stop as "nicely" as do the Jurids.

Normally, I can't tell the difference between brake pads; but, I guess that's when there isn't all that much of a difference.

I replaced the front Jurid brake pads yesterday with PBR Deluxe Advanced pads and bedded them with the (as many as I could get) 60 to 5mph stops (I could only get 4 sequential stops at best, mostly 1, 2, or 3 stops, even at midnight ... on three different highways I tried in San Jose due to the traffic; but in the end, I did about 20 total bedding stops).

I do not like the feel of these PBR pads as compared to the Jurids.

Yes, it's all very subjective, but, the PBR Deluxe Advanced pads seem to bite way later and to kick in the ABS far earlier. I realize that's an oxymoron but that's my impression as I bedded them.

Don't like 'em at all. I'm sure I'll get used to them; but I really liked the Jurid's (except the dust).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.