BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help me strip out some options from my build

13K views 132 replies 30 participants last post by  408Racer 
#1 ·
Guys, I have a quote pending from a broker on the 328i x-drive. I know I over built the car and it's going to come back over my budget. I even had them get prices with US v. ED maybe I can save a few bucks and go on vacation!

Here's what I submitted... take a look and help me narrow down some options. Don't just say "get rid of this you don't need it" help me understand why I really don't need or want it.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan ($38,850) ($53,725 with options)
+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Mineral Grey Metallic ($550)
+Cold Weather Package ($950)
+Dynamic Handling Package ($1,000)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)
+Technology Package ($3100)
+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500)
+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875)
+Automatic High Beams ($250)
+Park Distance Control ($750)
+Rear-View Camera ($400)

See less See more
#2 ·
($53,725 with options)
Is that the price they're giving you?

Because I got a fully loaded 335 sport for a less than that after I negotiated my deal.

Only difference is that I didn't go with auto high beams and I got heated seats instead of the cold weather package. Plus, I didn't go with AWD either of course.

But I basically got all the same stuff in a 335 RWD for less.

#3 · (Edited)
Delete:
-Premium Package ($3100)
-Technology Package ($3100)
-Automatic High Beams ($250)
-Park Distance Control ($750)
-Rear-View Camera ($400)
-Cold Weather Package ($950)

Add
Heated Seats ($500) Heated front seats yes, do you really need heated rear seats and a steering wheel?
Navigation ($2150) Delete excessive electronics

I'm not going to offer a rational for my recommendation, just common sense, you're looking at a Sport Line, keep it simple, it's a driver's car!

Highest Regards

#6 ·
You live on Long Island, no need to option your car like you live in Antarctica. My advice:

Kill:

- XDrive
- Cold Weather Package
- Harmon Kardon
- Auto High Beams

Add:

+ Heated Seats

Rationale:

* A good set of snow tires and RWD is sufficient for your climate. I've lived in New Hampshire and now Bergen County, AWD is overkill here. We only get 2-3 rough days; snow tires are just fine for the typical 1" of snow on those days. I have a second car, almost regret even getting the snow tires on my RWD 328i.

* Not sure if you are aware, but the standard audio system on the F30 in the USA is the "premium" audio system they get in Europe and pay extra for. It is very, very good, and while I haven't heard the HK system I can't see how its worth $875 if you're trying to trim things back.

* Again, in your climate, you don't need the full Cold Weather Package. Just get the heated seats and be done with it.

* Auto high beams? Unless you live in a very dark area with no street lighting, this is unnecessary. I put on my high beams maybe 2x a week because the xenon's are so damn good, just don't need them unless I'm in pitch black conditions, certainly don't need them to function automatically.

BJ

#28 ·
All of the above. The only possible tweak to this, if you're really set on the cold weather package, is to drop the premium package. The cold weather package automatically adds the leather seats, which come with the lumbar support. You save 3100 (for premium) - 1450 (for leather) = $1650 and you lose the ability to unlock the door without pressing a button on the FOB, but by pressing the door handle itself, and the ability to open the trunk by swinging your foot under the bumper. To me, that's not worth $1650. I'd much rather have a heated seat/steering wheel/lumbar support/leather seats and $1650 to spend on hookers and blow.

#8 · (Edited)
Drop the xDrive and you save $1,000 -- $2,000 less $1,000 for a good set of dedicated winter wheels and tires; plus your summer tires last longer. Since you would the get the sport suspension on your rwd Sport line car many folks would say you'd be fine to drop the DHP and save another $1,000. Drop the auto high beams. $2,250 saved. Do you really, really want/need HUD?

#9 ·
I'm actually going to be bold and say you can drop xdrive, and not even get the snow tires. I guess I might be in a unique situation though. If I really had to drive in the snow, I wouldn't take my car anyway. I'd use my wife's SUV.

#10 ·
Agree there too.

Knowing Long Island like the back of my hand, there are very few hilly areas that would warrant XDrive, so unless he commutes and/or takes upstate road trips and/or only has one car in the famliy there's no reason for it.

Snow tires too, I am beginning to realize. I've got a FWD minivan on snow tires, and for the 3 days this winter I actually would have to drive in the white stuff I could just use the wife's car and not put winter rubber on my F30 either.

BJ

#11 ·
On packages v. selected stand-alone options, I defer to those above who are more familiar with the F30. For the rest, these jump out at me:
+Rear-View Camera ($400)
Auto high beams are largely pointless, as noted. If you want to trim some fat, a good place to start is a $250 gadget to do something you've probably done almost without thought since you learned to drive.

Save another $1,150 and dump the parking aids. Yes, the salesman or someone else will probably trot out a "think of the children" line about safety. To that I say, you are buying a sport sedan with excellent visibility, not a truck with blind spots the size of Montana. Unless you have a history of close calls (or worse), continue to trust your ability and awareness--you're not going to start suddenly plowing into obstacles and small children if you forgo those options. :thumbup:

(On the other hand, if you truly are a menace when parking & reversing, by all means please ignore me and leave those two on your build sheet! ;))

#13 · (Edited)
Assumption:
-You're not buying the car, or you're not planning on keeping it long-term and you are willing to compromise on certain features.

My suggestion is:

1. Drop Technology Package - if you're not crazy about the HUD: it looks cool and all, and 4 years down the lane, every sedan might be equipped with it, but it's not all that functional. You can get the NAV as a stand-alone or just make do with a Garmin-style GPS.. Smartphone integration is not too exciting.. You may have your own smartphone, just use a basic AUX cable and enjoy your ipod/iPhone/Android..

2. Drop Premium Package - If you're not crazy about the lumbar support, and don't have a back problem/bad back.. I am crazy about lumbar support, and I am going to keep my car for as long as I can, so I have this package.. I already had leather.. I have lumbar support in my Altima as standard option, so I'm not letting this one go.. I can't drive without lumbar support - I took a rental over the new year eve and the car didn't have lumbar, I was freaking out on my way to and back from Raleigh.. the most uncomfortable drive.. I doubt you would like to pay for the Sat radio.. Comfort Access Keyless entry... umm I'd take it if it were free, but no, I wouldn't pay for it.. not all that moolah!

3. Drop HK - if you're not an audiophile. I am - and I need the best sound quality, I need music all the time.. and I cannot drive for long distances if I don't have good music.. that's it.. so I have HK..

4. Drop Cold Weather Package - if you can live with not having heated steering wheel. I have Cold Weather Package and I am crazy about heated steering wheel. I don't care about rear heating much, might be good for my parents when they come visit me, but it's in the package.. so I got the package.

5. Drop x-Drive - if you have enough place to store 4 wheels when the other 4 are being used, and are comfortable swapping out tires before and after winter season - if you have snow (I am kind of geographically challenged and have no idea how much snow - if any - do you get at your place). And if you drive in a sporty fashion, you might feel your rear fish out a little when making fast lane changes/turns on wet/snowy roads on non-snow tires.. - without x-Drive : this is the only regret of my dear friend has, who owns an E92 RWD .. Not taking this option will also let you keep your sport suspension if you go with Sport or M-Sport line, and lower the ride height - if it matters to you.

6. Drop Auto High Beams - they're cool.. not too great.. but they don't cost much as well..

I would not suggest you to:

1. Drop DHP: I have said it somewhere else, and I have read it numerous times on boards, this option alone gives your car - same 1 car - 4 flavors of driving. If you don't take this option, all that would change with the button on the middle would be your throttle and steering response - not suspension - and the suspension makes a hell lot of difference in driving..

2. Sport line - The name of the line is self-explanatory. If you like sport look, sport feel, take sport line. If you just need a daily driver, and don't care about sport feel (hinting at 4 flavors), then take modern, luxury or no-line based on what line suits you. Sport line also gives you sport suspension, which a lot of people dig.. seriously!

3. Rear-View camera: This is becoming a necessity - with the parking spaces reducing every day and more cars coming onto the streets, with your car being used as daily driver and squeezing into and out of tight parking spots, I think this one is a necessity. You can skip on it, if this is going to be your weekend ride.. :)

4. Leather : Cmon dude, whats a classy sport sedan without leather? - thats my opinion.. :p

All the above are depending on your choice/way of life, as it is you who is ultimately going to drive it. You know the best what you can and what you cannot live without.. You are the best judge.. If you have any questions about what is the use of each feature, feel free to ask.. you'll get everyone's opinions, facts and experiences..

And let us know what you finally order.. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Rohit

#14 ·
And for the price of all options, you're being quoted the MSRP.
Go to bmwconfig.com -> configurator : build your car and see the invoice price that your dealer would be paying on the options. You can negotiate on that price, keep dealer profit as X, and offer your dealer invoice + X as final price (excluding taxes and fees).

If you are doing ED, you can get the same car for cheaper - US invoice is higher than ED invoice..
Don't buy at MSRP.. if you don't get a good enough deal with your current dealer, shop around.. check out board sponsors..

Good Luck!

#15 ·
+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500) You can just use the shifter
+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875)At this point base stereo is good enough
+Automatic High Beams ($250)Really? How often do you use high beams?
+Park Distance Control ($750) Just turn your head when you park.
+Rear-View Camera ($400)ditto
And maybe get just the NAV instead of Tech package

#21 ·
The only difference with 'Sport Automatic with paddles' is not just the paddles, the transmission changes as well - from Steptronic to Sport Automatic. And from what experiences people have posted on the board, Sport automatic is slightly quicker than Steptronic. There is no official difference posted by BMW between Steptronic and Sport Automatic, though.. the behavior of bmw in this case is almost like a parent's when asked which child is the best ;) .

Sport automatic is a no-brainer with Sport line, I guess, esp. with the experiences on the board .. the OP would go for Sport line if he wants the Sport look and feel, so he should get Sport Auto transmission as well.. he's already around $45k... makes no sense in saving 500 and missing out on good driving experience.. IMO

#16 ·
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan ($38,850) ($53,725 with options)
+Sport Line ($2,500)
+Mineral Grey Metallic ($550)
+Cold Weather Package ($950)
+Dynamic Handling Package ($1,000)
+Lighting Package ($900)
+Premium Package ($3100)
+Technology Package ($3100)
+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500)
+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875)

+Rear-View Camera ($400)
I'd skip the highlighted ones.

#17 ·
One thing I'm adamanat about is that nowadays, if you're going to spend $45k+ (or even $40k+) for a car, there are certain things that are required.

Otherwise, people with Malibus and Sentras will be driving around in cars with stuff you don't have. Sure you'll get performance characteristcis with a 328 or 335 that you'll never get with those cars, but things like a rear view camera and nav???? It's 2013, I can't see how anyone would buy a $40k car without things like that.

#20 · (Edited)
It depends on what you value. I don't value gadgets.

A lot of the optional stuff is standard on a 335i (Xenon, sunroof).

I would scrap the whole thing and get a Silver 335i Sport, Coral-red leather, no paddles but with heated seats. 47695$ to start with. Lucky you because they want 55000$ here.

#22 ·
It depends on what you value. I don't value gadgets.

A lot of the optional stuff is standard on a 335i (Xenon, sunroof).

I would scrap the whole thing and get a Silver 335i Sport, Coral-red leather, no paddles but with heated seats. 47695$ to start with.
Amen to the above. My 2c below:

I think it is a simple evaluation of value here when considering purchase/lease of a car. To me, putting too many options on a car starts eroding its "value for money" factor. A loaded to the gills 328i would effectively drive and feel much like a lightly optioned 328i, and is imo not worth the extra $15k spent.

Take that gadget laden Malibu mentioned above. If you load one up fully, you'll get an MSRP of ~$34000, but of course you cannot even compare this loaded Malibu with a base 328i. I would spend the extra 3-4k on minimally optioned 328i every single time, because while there might be a few more bells and whistles in the Malibu, EVERYTHING about the 3er is better (performance, design, fuel efficiency, driving feel). This is because the 328 is in a whole another CLASS, so every single little detail about the car is superior to the Malilbu.

So my philosophy is to either: 1. keep it cheap by sticking to lightly optioned cars, or
2. spend the extra to get a lightly optioned version of the next class up. So if I find myself pricing out a 328i with lots of options, I would start considering getting a 5 series instead, since you're going spend nearly that much more money anyway on a heavily optioned F30.

#27 · (Edited)
I actually ordered almost the same car as you and thought it was getting a bit silly sticker wise, so I dropped rear-view-camera, sport auto, HK, and winter package (got heated seats). I also rather doubt that you've any need for the auto high beams.

My car stickered at about $52K and I got it for about $48K on lease. The only option I wish I had stuck with is the backup camera... it would make tail-in parking a breeze... next one will have that for sure, if it's not already a standard feature by then. Also as others point out, in Long Island it's rather questionable if you even need the x-drive.

#32 · (Edited)
Just for the hell of it I went to the Honda and BMW web sites and built a fully loaded Accord and a fully loaded 328i.

This is what I found when I went to the "estimate a payment" page after I completed the build.

I don't know if these numbers are representative of what it actually cost to lease these vehicles but it appears that the 328i is a much better value than the Accord if you are leasing. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the BMW will have a much higher residual value.

CA

#35 · (Edited)
I don't know if these numbers are representative of what it actually cost to lease these vehicles but it appears that the 328i is a much better value than the Accord if you are leasing. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the BMW will have a much higher residual value.

CA
Canada is different apparently.

Honda Canada offers 52% on an Accord after 48months / 60000 miles; 505$+tx/mo
BMW offers 48% on a 328i after 39months / 48000 miles; 797$+tx/mo

So leasing a 328i here with tx is +4028$/yr more than an Accord Touring V6.

#34 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I'll touch on many of your points and my rationale here. Some options are non-negotiable to me because I don't want a stripped down car especially coming from a fully loaded Maxima. Yes I know it's not a BMW in any way, shape or form, but it has so many of the toys (which I like). I have panoramic sunroof (not avail on BMW), heated seats, premium audio, sport mode with shifters, backup camera, and a few others.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan ($38,850) ($53,725 with options) So x-drive might be a great saving point! I've only been living in NY for 5 years and 3 years had terrible snow and my cars had difficulty moving around. Never been able to climb my hill where I live (huntington) with factory tires. My cousin has G37 with AWD and gets around everywhere. This year and last we had almost no snow, so it's not an every year occuranceSo this is definitely on the chopping board but we'll see...

+Sport Line ($2,500) Glad to see no one told me to drop this ;)

+Mineral Grey Metallic ($550) Yay everyone here loves colors!! Although it's not a bright ones and want the Estroril blue but oh well...

+Cold Weather Package ($950) Absolutely agree that I could drop this, however I want the heated steering wheel. Once I start getting numbers if I'm too high I might drop this one and opt for heated seats. Thanks!

+Dynamic Handling Package ($1,000) So if I get x-drive keep this? RWD drop this? Not sure the affect of losing this one. The demo cars I've driven both had this.

+Lighting Package ($900) Glad to see no one really disagree with this except for the guys that say drop everything

+Premium Package ($3100) keeping it....

+Technology Package ($3100) this is where I like toys... I really want a HUD. I Used to have one and have been wanting a car with it again for a long time. I was so freakin' excited when I heard they were offering it in a 3-series!

+Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddles ($500) This is probably a novelty to move so I guess I could drop this if needed.

+Harman Kardon Sound System ($875) I'll have to listen to both before I make a decision here but I consider myself an audiophile and planned on getting the best available since I am not going to install a custom stereo in a lease

+Automatic High Beams ($250) This is a take it or leave it... I know... It's on the top fo the chopping block if needed but then again its only $250...

+Park Distance Control ($750) I tore apart the Driver's Assistance Package and manually selected Rear-View Camera and BMW Config required me to add PDC. Otherwise I would have removed this no questions asked.

+Rear-View Camera ($400)just need it in a car of this class. i use mine a lot today but not saying I need one - want one.

#36 · (Edited)
Very logical.

I once had a loaded Maxima -- so I know where you're coming from.

Also, I was trying to avoid another HK religous war, but there is no way I'd ever drop that either.

AWD is the biggest bang for your buck in terms of things to drop. $2K right there.

EDIT: By the way, my FWD Maxima was the worst car in the snow that I ever had. MY RWD e90 with all seasons was better.

#41 ·
Dude, You're concerned about budget yet you built a 328i with every possible option?? Sportline is worth it. You gaet a lot for your money. The sport seats are a must and the sportline wheels look great. X drive and heated seats because you live in New York are ok. Harmon Kardon and shift paddles are cool. Ask yourself, will you really use the shift paddles or just floor it when you want more power? The tech, premium, high beams, lighting, dynamic handling, park distance, rear view cameras are all over the top options due to huge cost. A base 328i IS ALREADY LOADED! All the options just make it better. Lets be serious. Good luck with your purchase.

#46 ·
BJ,
I appreciate all your posts on here but just so you know.... There are people out there who want their sport sedans to lean more towards the sport side than the luxury side. I tried to read the manual for the 328i and all the tech, idrive instructions made my head hurt. I can't believe how complicated it is to do simple things and all the options with idrive. I honestly wish BMW made an "old school" version or the 3 series. They could probably take 200lbs of electronics off the car and lower the price by $3000. I already think the X1 is a prime example of this. Less electronics and the older "platform" make the base price $6000 less and you still get the same engine and transmission. I ended up going with an M Sport manual with Harmon Kardon and red leather. I value going fast, bright colors, a great stereo. I wouldn't even care if the car had idrive. Also my comfort limit on spending was about $40k. I ended up at $41K give or take. Enjoy your loaded beauty. Some of us just can't spend that much and still appreciate BMW.

#51 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong- the F30 is a great car even in its base configuration.

What I am saying is that, from a performance standpoint, what used to be the E46 or E90 in its base configuration you now need to pay for. The base E90 came with a super-stiff suspension, no body roll, whipped through the turns. The base F30 comes with a comfortable suspension that's awesome for every day driving but would disappoint the traditional 3 Series owner used to the E46 or E90 base setup. Softer, body leans in hard turns, power steering is a lot more numb.

In order to replicate the E46 or E90 performance feel one has to get an expensive Sport line option. Some would even say that that's not enough, have to get the Adaptive M Suspension atop that. That wasn't the case in years past. Back then, you got that "standard". You could buy a stripped E46 or E90 with zero options and have a killer road warrior. No more.

Great car, but there's been a change that people don't talk that much about. You need to spend more $ to get the road feel back. BMW took that away to appease those who found the base E90 suspension too rough (raises hand).

BJ

#57 · (Edited)
The 328i pushes the limits of the base suspension in hard turns and strong acceleration so, yes, I'm saying that a 335i on the base suspension is likely too much in very hard conditions as a real "performance enthusiast" might drive it. Go ask them.

And you're making my point for me, thank you, when you talk about the Sport and M-Sport options. What used to be free of charge on an E90 is now pay-as-you-go on the F30. So when we discuss the base models, they're not just stripped of tech features and creature comforts; they're now stripped of crisp sport suspensions too.

BJ

#61 ·
IMO this has got to be the hardest thing to answer How can anybody give a honest answer when everything is personal preference and what the purchaser can afford For me these posts are a bunch of BS. What I like or dislike the next guy might not.
cheers
vern

#62 ·
If you're looking for the best engine/drivability/handling for the money, you shouldn't be looking at a 3 series.

So any arguments about money for gadgets/comforts people may or may not prefer seems kind of silly.:tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.