BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 Touring thread! What do you think!

Tags
e39it
102K views 489 replies 106 participants last post by  bmdubya1198 
#1 ·
I have been on the forums for a few months now and must have to say that the amount of information for Bimmer owners is incredibled. It is really nice to see enthusiasts, owners, and lookers all hanging out in the same place. Everyone pretty much willing to help each other out with tips, tricks and advise on how to keep their cars at their best.: :thumbup:

Would like to start a thread especially for us Touring owners as there seems to be many of us here on the forums. True, that alot of the info would be the same as the E39 sedans but we have the entire rear half of the car to discuss about. We could keep all of our pics, advice, helpful links, repair tips and etc. all in a localized thread.

What do you guys think? Can we do this? Touring owners show your support!

Sorry for the phone pic.

See less See more
#3 ·
More power to you if you want to do it, but the reason Bf doesn't have an E39T forum is because the T shares 99% of its parts with the sedans. All you Touring owners (and all us sedan owners) benefit more by having the information all in one place.

Of course, if you want to talk rear suspension and lift gate failures, then by all means. :rofl:

Other than that, it's just gonna be a thread of Touring eye candy! (Nothing wrong with that, I often lust after the 540T!)

#4 ·
I think we share only 95.8% with the sedans.

So is this the thread? Or is this just a thread about a potential future thread? I'm confused.

#6 ·
This is the thread about why there is no thread, and whether or not there should be a thread now or in the future.

Very existential.

#10 ·
One can never have too many E39's.........

#12 ·
Post your Touring Pics!

Thanks for jumping in on the touring thread guys. Keep posting your pics as I'm sure there is definitely some great Touring eye candy out there. Here are some more pics for touring lovers. We need to get all our ideas, tips, and tricks in this thread.

A. Newly installed Bilsteins HD's w/ Eibach Pro Sport springs and SLS adjustable links.

B. DIY Graphite Carbon Fiber Trim

C. LED Interior lights swap

POST UP YOUR TOURING PICS

#14 ·
I've got my 535i/6 for fun (although it is for sale so I can fund my M3 ambition) but man I loves my touring. It hauls my drums to gigs with ease, and is so much fun to drive after all the work to get her fixed back up! :D

And I agree, I will own at least one more e39 (M5) at some point. :D

#46 ·
My new favorite pic taken this afternoon...

Gorgeous! Carmel Valley Rd just north of Torrey Pines beach looking back south, no? Used to love that spot, night or day always beautiful. :D

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

#21 · (Edited)
here is mine. got it back in September. has Dinan Exhaust, Suspension (though for some reason the passenger side is correct for Dinan, and the drivers side is standard sport drop, though both seem to have the same Koni shocks and Dinan Springs). Intravee II adaptor with timeout mod. rear AC Spoiler. Hartge 19" rims.

so far have done the VCG. rear vapor barriers. swapped out rear diff for a 2.81 instead of 3.15 (this is a long range cruiser). replaced 2 expansion tanks, NPG+ coolant, replaced fan shroud, replaced headlight adjusters, vinyl wrapped interior in vertical brushed aluminum. auto-tragic level in black carbon fiber. Memphis Audio Sub installed where the old "sub" was and its amp installed on its side next to the spare tire.

plans: entire front suspension rebuild to figure out why the car does not sit Dinan ride height all around. front brake pads and rotors at some point. flappy paddle shift levers (if i do not 6 speed swap it first). M5 tire pressure monitor retrofit (have all the pieces, just not the time right now). trailer hitch and backup camera. remapping the rear tail lights, i want to disable the lower turn signals. i do not believe in red turn signals. i have he uppers yellow and do not want the lowers blinking red when turning without the brakes on. does anybody know if this is even possible?

G~

#22 · (Edited)
Nice ride! What size is the exhaust outlet? 3"? Would like to see pics of the aluminium interior too. If you get more info regarding the lower turn signals, let us know. I want to change to the same tail lights that you have but have not done it since it does look kind of strange with on yellow and one red blinker.

#23 ·
here is a pic of the interior with the vinyl wrap.

G~

#25 ·
the easiest thing to do is do a youtube search for 3M Di-Noc. that is the vinyl that most people use, there are a lot of videos out there showing the technique. once you pop of the trim pieces you just cut the wrap to a close fit. peel and stick the wrap to the trim piece. get a heat gun and start shrinking the wrap to the trim. it takes some minor practice, but it is not that bad. get some extra in case you need to redo a piece. the stuff comes right off if you need to remove it without affecting the finish on the trim piece itself.

G~

#36 ·
Thank you.

the easiest thing to do is do a youtube search for 3M Di-Noc. that is the vinyl that most people use, there are a lot of videos out there showing the technique. once you pop of the trim pieces you just cut the wrap to a close fit. peel and stick the wrap to the trim piece. get a heat gun and start shrinking the wrap to the trim. it takes some minor practice, but it is not that bad. get some extra in case you need to redo a piece. the stuff comes right off if you need to remove it without affecting the finish on the trim piece itself.

G~

#27 ·
Hi,

I will post up some of my pics and background for my car on this thread soon! some of you already know me and the car anyway :)

When I first got my car, it had orange indicator facelift Hellas for the headlamps and being an 03, Celis orange indicator topped rears. UK tastes are for clears and I couldn't wait to change them! The headlamps were changed first and I put the orange ones up on ebay and they sold within 20 minutes to an enthusiast in New York! I then sorted out a very very good friend in LA with the rear Amber celis to put on his rather famous (in modified circles!) widebody Touring. I've just recently sold another set of Amber rears to another US enthusiast as well! leading from that, I now want the USA way of the rear lights to work!! and you guys want the Euro way for them to work! I'm sure there is a way of getting this achieved without having to resort to programming, but it may well turn out that coding is the only way to do it.

4haulin dogs - I'm sure I can easily get you a set of the 'early' non celis orange top rear touring lenses - whenever those come up on UK ebay, they're cheap as no one really wants them. I don't mind picking a set up and sending across to you, and even to the extent as they'd be so cheap, perhaps have two sets as then you can fiddle around with one for testing etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

#28 ·
Hi,

I will post up some of my pics and background for my car on this thread soon! some of you already know me and the car anyway :)

When I first got my car, it had orange indicator facelift Hellas for the headlamps and being an 03, Celis orange indicator topped rears. UK tastes are for clears and I couldn't wait to change them! The headlamps were changed first and I put the orange ones up on ebay and they sold within 20 minutes to an enthusiast in New York! I then sorted out a very very good friend in LA with the rear Amber celis to put on his rather famous (in modified circles!) widebody Touring. I've just recently sold another set of Amber rears to another US enthusiast as well! leading from that, I now want the USA way of the rear lights to work!! and you guys want the Euro way for them to work! I'm sure there is a way of getting this achieved without having to resort to programming, but it may well turn out that coding is the only way to do it.

4haulin dogs - I'm sure I can easily get you a set of the 'early' non celis orange top rear touring lenses - whenever those come up on UK ebay, they're cheap as no one really wants them. I don't mind picking a set up and sending across to you, and even to the extent as they'd be so cheap, perhaps have two sets as then you can fiddle around with one for testing etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
Thanks for the heads up again Dennis, keep us posted on the info you find. Sort of funny how everyoned over here wants what you guys have and visa versa.

Thanks Again, Jay.

#29 ·
Dennis -

If you come across a set of those early Euro Touring tail lights on UK eBay that are nice pick them up. Let me know how to get the money to you and I'll get it taken care of. I greatly appreciate the gesture.

Most guys over here driving old cop cars are ******** in Crown Vic's with pillar mounted spot lights, yours is a diesel Touring. We are so screwed up over here.

#30 ·
4 Haulin- keep me posted on the GT1 thing. i would love to have my tails flashed to Euro so that only the tops flash yellow.

there are a few other things i need to make list to GT1. i need to find someone around me who has access to one.

G~

#31 ·
Hi

There's a number of early (non Celis) E39 Touring Amber top rear lenses on ebay right now!

One pair (they're listed individually) would come to £28 delivered to me if no one bids. There's a few sets/items at £15, plus £5 delivery, so around £40 for a pair delivered. The last two sets of these lenses I sent across came to around $50-60 USD to send, so perhaps for around $100-150 USD these would be landed at your door.

Good thing is they're always listed, due to as mentioned above, no one really wants them, so anytime any of you are ready to want a pair, it'll be relatively easy for me to sort out - so just drop me a PM !

Cheers, Dennis!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.