Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Sorry, but I think a quart every 5-6k is excessive.
Nothing wrong with adding a quart of oil every 5-6K miles.

High TQ engines DO Burn Oil and should. Every 2K miles probably not.

As you know we are not talking about your average chic car. :lmao
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 07-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Every 5-6k miles is not excessive, but 0.5 to 1k most certainly is. I cannot believe BMW would put out a bulletin suggesting this is acceptable. That's bordering on a two stroke mix. Where's the blue smoke? Where's the puddle? Where are all the toasted catalytic converters?

Those of you with this problem (and it's not 100%) should not take this lying down. Just because the dealers are topping it off, doesn't make it acceptable. The fact that we don't all suffer from excessive consumption demonstrates this is not "normal".
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
I thought about it when the 550 guys were complaining about the same issue two years ago. I have owned 3 BMW V8s (N63, N63Tu, S63) and none of them required an oil add in less than 10k miles. My N63, made it the full 17kmi without an add after the first oil change. So if 500-1000 miles is normal, then I must have done something wrong to cause this abnormality. I suspect my breaking in the motors hard might have something to do with it, but since I only have three data points on the V8s, maybe I'm just lucky.
Certainly glad you have not had this oil issue. As a interested observer who is contemplating purchasing a 650, it is disturbing to think luck plays a part in this when a $90,000 car in involved. What gets me is that 1) BMW has not addressed this from a engineering standpoint as there are complaints going back to the 2012 model year. 2) Even more shocking is that PR garbage from BMWNA that burning a quart every 500-1000 mi is somehow normal, and advising dealers to OVERFILL by a quart to apparently compensate. That is dismissive to the problem, bordering on incompetence ( and greed as they don't want to fix these problem engines) And again modern synthetic oils don't simply "burn away" for no reason. There is a problem here, BMW simply does not wish to acknowledge it. I can only hope it has been addressed with the 2014 but who knows?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Gran Coupe
the 6th time I was at the dealer to top off my oil I asked to talk to the Service Manager and I had a 10 minutes discussion with him. It was like a back and forth discussion of he saying "it's normal" and I am saying "this can't be normal for a $110K car".
At the end he checked my VIN number and said he has good news for me. My car "qualifies" to add 2qt instead of 1qt when the oil minimum level warning appears.

I am not able to write down what I was thinking at that moment when I heard that statement.

He asked me if I want to top off 2qt but I declined, as this doesn't solve the problem. So they topped off 1qt and the indicator was on maximum according to iDrive. I left the dealership and on the same day I was driving around 50-60 miles after that. Just out of curiosity I was checking the oil level on iDrive and it was already 1 level below maximum.

At that moment I called my sales guy and complained to him, told him that that's an unacceptable situation. He was then also talking to the Service Manager and they asked me to come in again in order to make an official oil consumption test.
So when I got there they first topped off oil until the maximum level was reached on iDrive again. That was about 1/4th of a quart. After that they topped of one more quart.

At that time they officially recorded the current mileage and told me to come in again once the minimum oil warning appears.

If it appears after driving around 1500-1600 miles, they will contact an engineer from BMW NA to check the car. And he mentioned in case it will appear in the range of 2000 miles, it's considered as normal according to BMW. Well, for me that's still not normal and I am seriously thinking what to do next time the minimum oil level warning appears.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specific View Post
the 6th time I was at the dealer to top off my oil I asked to talk to the Service Manager and I had a 10 minutes discussion with him. It was like a back and forth discussion of he saying "it's normal" and I am saying "this can't be normal for a $110K car".
At the end he checked my VIN number and said he has good news for me. My car "qualifies" to add 2qt instead of 1qt when the oil minimum level warning appears.

I am not able to write down what I was thinking at that moment when I heard that statement.

He asked me if I want to top off 2qt but I declined, as this doesn't solve the problem. So they topped off 1qt and the indicator was on maximum according to iDrive. I left the dealership and on the same day I was driving around 50-60 miles after that. Just out of curiosity I was checking the oil level on iDrive and it was already 1 level below maximum.

At that moment I called my sales guy and complained to him, told him that that's an unacceptable situation. He was then also talking to the Service Manager and they asked me to come in again in order to make an official oil consumption test.
So when I got there they first topped off oil until the maximum level was reached on iDrive again. That was about 1/4th of a quart. After that they topped of one more quart.

At that time they officially recorded the current mileage and told me to come in again once the minimum oil warning appears.

If it appears after driving around 1500-1600 miles, they will contact an engineer from BMW NA to check the car. And he mentioned in case it will appear in the range of 2000 miles, it's considered as normal according to BMW. Well, for me that's still not normal and I am seriously thinking what to do next time the minimum oil level warning appears.
I'll tell you what to do - keep all records & prepare to open a lemon law case. Unfortunately it's not likely to go away.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Every 5-6k miles is not excessive, but 0.5 to 1k most certainly is. I cannot believe BMW would put out a bulletin suggesting this is acceptable. That's bordering on a two stroke mix. Where's the blue smoke? Where's the puddle? Where are all the toasted catalytic converters?

Those of you with this problem (and it's not 100%) should not take this lying down. Just because the dealers are topping it off, doesn't make it acceptable. The fact that we don't all suffer from excessive consumption demonstrates this is not "normal".
Nicely said.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Certainly glad you have not had this oil issue. As a interested observer who is contemplating purchasing a 650, it is disturbing to think luck plays a part in this when a $90,000 car in involved. What gets me is that 1) BMW has not addressed this from a engineering standpoint as there are complaints going back to the 2012 model year. 2) Even more shocking is that PR garbage from BMWNA that burning a quart every 500-1000 mi is somehow normal, and advising dealers to OVERFILL by a quart to apparently compensate. That is dismissive to the problem, bordering on incompetence ( and greed as they don't want to fix these problem engines) And again modern synthetic oils don't simply "burn away" for no reason. There is a problem here, BMW simply does not wish to acknowledge it. I can only hope it has been addressed with the 2014 but who knows?
It's been this way since 2011 for some 550 owners. One Fester, jimefam, was doing the oil add every 2kmi with his 2011 550, but as time went on and his engine become broken-in (not the 1,200 mi break-in) his oil change intervals grew to the 5-6k mile range which was his oil change interval.

Please, take this seriously, these motors will go 17k miles without an add! I just don't understand why people think 5-6k mi is acceptable. These cars are designed to be maintenance free between maintenance intervals and that's why set set the maintenance intervals at their current sizes.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It's been this way since 2011 for some 550 owners. One Fester, jimefam, was doing the oil add every 2kmi with his 2011 550, but as time went on and his engine become broken-in (not the 1,200 mi break-in) his oil change intervals grew to the 5-6k mile range which was his oil change interval.

Please, take this seriously, these motors will go 17k miles without an add! I just don't understand why people think 5-6k mi is acceptable. These cars are designed to be maintenance free between maintenance intervals and that's why set set the maintenance intervals at their current sizes.
Well that's what scary to somebody like me thinking of a 650, some people have no oil issues, others like "quartevery1000" are adding unbelievable amounts of oil. It is going somewhere like Bonz stated. Could this be leading to problems down the road with converters or clogged intakes,ect? Who knows. All I do know it BMW's response IMO is unacceptable and frankly laughable. And overfilling can cause a host of other issues - foaming, increased oil pressure leading to gasket failures ect. At this rate quartevery1000 won't need a oil change, he will have burned - or lost it, just change the filter!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: .
Guess I'm alone in really not caring about adding oil every now and again. You can spend any amount of money on a car and still have problems.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 650 ix
650 ix new on 6/18. Low oil alarm on 7/28, went on at 3,200 miles, didn't expect that.