Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I could be reassured about the reliability carbon/injector/dpf issues then the 335d is an amazing car. I love love love driving. Not overkill at all.

No way I would ever buy an overpriced rebadged 320d.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Test drive the X5d and 535d before you say the engine is worse. The paper numbers show a small drop in hp and torque, but the torque is now available over a much larger rev range than in the previous 335d and X5d and mated to the awesome 8 speed box, I find makes my 535d faster, more flexible (in gear torque) than the 335d and the transmission programming seems to be much better and the car is more inclined to stay in a gear where the torque is whereas my 335d tranny seemed to think it was attached to a gas engine and went for high revs where the torque dropped of too easily (so I invariably drove it in manu-matic mode. The fuel efficiency is notably improved too and I have no idea where the testers got their numbers as I get 42 - 44mpg highway doing 70, while the 335d would get 34-35mpg at those speeds. That being said, I do wish the true Euro spec 535d had been brought in... that things a monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Honestly, I'm having a hard time considering any BMW diesel as a replacement for my X5d.

I'm not even considering the 328d anymore, especially with the new C Class and A4 around the corner. Both will be coming to the US with diesels.

The X3d is a tough sell for me, especially with Audi offering the better 6 cylinder diesel model.

The new X5d is a tough sell also, especially due to the pricing, loss of driving dynamics, and the addition of a worse engine for the new model.

The only models where BMW will not have any issue selling the diesel variant is the X3 and X5. They are in high demand.

BMW is struggling to move the 328d and 535d. 328d's sales problems make sense because the 320 and 328i lease so well and the d just doesn't. I honestly don't understand why the 535d doesn't sell in better numbers though. Audi has no problem moving the A6 and A7 TDI around here. They're gone within days. My local dealer can't keep them on their lots. My BMW dealer? He has a half dozen 535xd laying around.

Last edited by gtobynj; 08-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Is there a sales number for the X3d and X5d? Are we sure they sell in high number? Looking at the forum post, it does not seem that there is that much up take in diesel for X3 and X5.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
Is there a sales number for the X3d and X5d? Are we sure they sell in high number? Looking at the forum post, it does not seem that there is that much up take in diesel for X3 and X5.
July and YTD diesel sales are available at http://www.hybridcars.com/july-2014-dashboard/ along with CNG, HEV, PHEV and EV sales.

The 328d and 535d actually sold better than either the X3d or X5d in July.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanCCM View Post
July and YTD diesel sales are available at http://www.hybridcars.com/july-2014-dashboard/ along with CNG, HEV, PHEV and EV sales.

I figured he meant as a % of unit sales, not overall. Overall I would expect any of the 3 series variants to all outsell whatever other series variant you want to compare to since the 3 series volume is about double what the next best selling series is
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:

The number does not look too impressive. I hope diesel sells more. Incidentally, I saw a post on benzworld where one person claimed Costco at their area installed diesel. If they actually did, that means Diesel has hit big time. My coworker claimed he talked to a local Costco manager. The person stated that they go through 3 tankers per day! I have a feeling that is probably peak time best case. Now that is some big volume So if they are installing diesel, diesel may have made it to prime time Or in the future, it will be Prime time. In any case, I see more and more station installing diesel pumps in my area. All is good.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Quote:
The number does not look too impressive. I hope diesel sells more. Incidentally, I saw a post on benzworld where one person claimed Costco at their area installed diesel. If they actually did, that means Diesel has hit big time. My coworker claimed he talked to a local Costco manager. The person stated that they go through 3 tankers per day! I have a feeling that is probably peak time best case. Now that is some big volume So if they are installing diesel, diesel may have made it to prime time Or in the future, it will be Prime time. In any case, I see more and more station installing diesel pumps in my area. All is good.
Diesel at Coscto ? It's about time!

I have a Sam's Club card to get diesel at Sam's - maybe Costco is catching on ???

Well I am like FredsdoinSF - afraid what will happen in the future with diesels.

I hope in a few years, BMW will come out with a diesel 6 cylinder vehicle that will keep wowing me???

Before I got the last of the diesel E70 in late 2013 - I test drove a gasoline F15 (there were no diesels at that time) on the same day because I wanted to compare and determine if I should wait.

What I did like about the F15 were more for comfort and technology while the steering, handling, and drive where the E70 came out on top.

Coming from the first generation X5 and most recently the 335d, I just could not give up the drive so I ended up with the E70.

No regrets at all!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
The Costco in Temecula has Diesel. I found it once on my way back from San Diego.
http://www.riversidegasprices.com/Co...375/index.aspx
Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

The facelifted X3 just started to hit showrooms. As usual, BMW is usually lagging on the diesel variant. I've only ever seen one in my area. Autotrader only shows a dozen or so in a 100 mile radius from me. Same with the F15 X5. It has only recently started to pick up in volume. The 35i models are dime a dozen around my area. I've only ever seen a few diesels.

This is interesting because my local dealer has about 6 328xd and 7 535xd, but has ZERO X3d and 1 X5d. It's just harder to get them. I don't understand BMW's logic with this at all though... They should be making more of the diesel SUVs. They actually SELL. BMW is flooding the lots with too many 328d, etc.

EDIT:
another local dealer's inventory

21 328xd
21 535xd
4 740dL

but only 6 X3d, 2 X5d

Last edited by AutoUnion; 08-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Diesel at Coscto ? It's about time!

I have a Sam's Club card to get diesel at Sam's - maybe Costco is catching on ???
Wait! You guys get diesel at Sam's Club!? That is awesome.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 PM

While I was driving, I heard on the radio an ad for BMW 328d lease for $129 a month. I have no doubt the down payment is where they play the trick. However, this will get people's attention on the diesel. All is good if you ask me. Perhaps, that is how they sell the 3 series diesel now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
While I was driving, I heard on the radio an ad for BMW 328d lease for $129 a month. I have no doubt the down payment is where they play the trick. However, this will get people's attention on the diesel. All is good if you ask me. Perhaps, that is how they sell the 3 series diesel now.
$129/month? Probably $5-7k down

If it's $0-$2k down, where do I sign up?

Last edited by AutoUnion; 08-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
~$4000.

I went off the dealer invoice pricing. The difference was primarily found in higher option prices and a few non-standard items with regards to the 328d.

Both the M-sport and the Premium pkg are priced higher for the 328d and Xenon as well as HK sound are not standard on diesel either.
It is funny you said this. I just traded my M3 and I test drove a 328d and a 435i. Liked them both (obviously preferred the 4) and I noticed that the difference in MSRP was just shy of 4k. I felt like the 328d was way too expensive for what you get and that is why a 435i is now parked where a 328d could have been parked.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
The beauty of the 335d (to me) is that it gives V8 like performance with 4 cyl. mpg. I guess the 328d gives 4 cyl performance with 3 cyl. mpg. Too much of a trade off for me. In Europe diesel is where the market is at. In the USA it needs to be done better and cheaper, have the cake and eat it too, for diesel to make inroads. I don't think BMW gets that. N4S
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
The beauty of the 335d (to me) is that it gives V8 like performance with 4 cyl. mpg. I guess the 328d gives 4 cyl performance with 3 cyl. mpg. Too much of a trade off for me. In Europe diesel is where the market is at. In the USA it needs to be done better and cheaper, have the cake and eat it too, for diesel to make inroads. I don't think BMW gets that. N4S
The problem is that BMW overcharges for the 3-series diesel in the US. They price it as if the relative gasoline/diesel price ratio was the same that it is in Europe. But in many regions of the US the ratio is such that it is very difficult to make the initial car price difference back.

Then they throw in other issues such as limited choices for diesel (e.g. no manual transmission) and people don't bite.

I expect them to make it a bit slower, slap a "320d" label on it and use that as an excuse to correct the price. Maybe remove the HK stereo from the options or some jerk move. I think somebody in BMW's mothership might have mis-estimated the diesel price development in the U.S. and now they are stuck with it for a while.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Need4speed,

You captured my thoughts in your first two sentences better than I have done in entire paragraphs. Well said, sir or madam (guessing 'sir, but do not want to be sexist).

To be fair my 335d's offered little efficiency advantage on from the perspective of CO2 emissions for my driving compared to a petrol car I now drive that offers similar performance. Where the 335d really shined was efficiency on the open highway. I easily got 40 mgp or better driving 80 mph. But I have gone on at length here regarding the tradeoffs offered to me by the 328d and you nailed those perfectly. No need for me to re-till that field. If BMW wants me back as a diesel driver they will have to offer a car that puts performance first and efficiency second, not the other way around.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
It is funny you said this. I just traded my M3 and I test drove a 328d and a 435i. Liked them both (obviously preferred the 4) and I noticed that the difference in MSRP was just shy of 4k. I felt like the 328d was way too expensive for what you get and that is why a 435i is now parked where a 328d could have been parked.
Sometimes that itch for a coupe must be scratched....
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 328d;1990 325i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspumoni View Post
But I have gone on at length here regarding the tradeoffs offered to me by the 328d and you nailed those perfectly. No need for me to re-till that field. If BMW wants me back as a diesel driver they will have to offer a car that puts performance first and efficiency second, not the other way around.

My guess is that BMW knew exactly what it is doing by introducing the 328d with an emphasis on fuel savings (efficiency) rather than performance. That is in keeping with their overall strategy of pursuing the mainstream market first and satisfying enthusiasts second. Realistically speaking, you can't do the latter in this competitive market without successfully doing the former first.

I expect that the current 328d will gradually get established in the market through price incentives and the general (but slow) improvement in diesel awareness in the US driving public. Once the sales of the "slow" 328d become sufficient, BMW will invest some of that profit in a performance oriented 3-series diesel. Don't forget, the 335d was nothing more than an elaborate beta test for the powertrain, and a market test for the diesel concept over here.

I called up Turner MotorSport a few months ago and even the guy at TMS wasn't aware that there is a BMW 3-series diesel in the States! I haven't met anyone yet who had been aware of its existence before they saw my car. That kind of awareness takes a while to build.
2014 328d SportLine Melbourne Red//DHP/Sport AT/Lighting Package/Moonroof/M Sport Steering Wheel/Dinan Shockware/H&R rsb/Kelleners Sport Front Lip Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler/19x8.5 VMR 721 Gunmetal/BavSound Stage One/XPel Full Front/OptiCoat/Prestige PhotoSync & FormulaOne Pinnacle
1990 325i coupe E36 steering rack/Bilstein HD/M3 springs/M3 rsb/Cabrio fsb/4.10 LSD/Conforti chip/Z3 short shifter/M3 Sport cloth seat custom upholstered
Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
My guess is that BMW knew exactly what it is doing by introducing the 328d with an emphasis on fuel savings (efficiency) rather than performance. That is in keeping with their overall strategy of pursuing the mainstream market first and satisfying enthusiasts second. Realistically speaking, you can't do the latter in this competitive market without successfully doing the former first.

I expect that the current 328d will gradually get established in the market through price incentives and the general (but slow) improvement in diesel awareness in the US driving public. Once the sales of the "slow" 328d become sufficient, BMW will invest some of that profit in a performance oriented 3-series diesel. Don't forget, the 335d was nothing more than an elaborate beta test for the powertrain, and a market test for the diesel concept over here.

I called up Turner MotorSport a few months ago and even the guy at TMS wasn't aware that there is a BMW 3-series diesel in the States! I haven't met anyone yet who had been aware of its existence before they saw my car. That kind of awareness takes a while to build.
I probably would dump the active hybrids and the 320i, sell the 328d as a 320d and price it under the 328i, and then squeeze a 330d between the 335i and 328i.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
priced a 435i and 328d and the difference was..

Quote:
I probably would dump the active hybrids and the 320i, sell the 328d as a 320d and price it under the 328i, and then squeeze a 330d between the 335i and 328i.

Ditto. The 3AH suffers from the same stupid pricing that hurts the 328d. I would keep the 320 because it brings people into the brand that otherwise could not afford a BMW.....

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 08-26-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I don't think our market can support two diff't diesel F30s. Just not happening.

Even Mercedes realized this. They're dumping the ML350 BT in favor of a ML250 BT. 4 banger ML
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post

If at all. N4S
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328xd
I understand the different priorities, but 335/435 is BMW's solution to the N4S folks, most of whom are satisfied with the fuel consumption with the six. I think it's a tiny sliver of the performance market that also insists on 40mpg highway.

These days most cars have plenty of speed, from a dead stop to 60mph in seven seconds or less, then what do you do? Soon have to back off, the burst of acceleration is over. For most people like me, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and even the "too slow" 328d is fast enough to jeopardize our licenses. There's only so much value to getting up to highways speeds any faster.

I have owned BMW before, a lovely six-cylinder sport package E36 that only really felt in the zone when driving faster than public roads prudent speeds, as well as other quick and sporty cars. Now I drive close to 30k miles annually, need to keep operating costs in line, and keep my license. 328xd happens to meet my needs right now, and brought me back to the BMW brand after a string of years in other brands. Like my TDIs, this engine pulls hard up the steep mountain climbs, which is where the gasser competition struggles without turbos like BMW, Audi, and Volvo now have, but with better fuel consumption and more relaxed cruising.

But look at who can afford new cars these days, it skews heavily to older, more established people, compared to thirty years ago when lots of eager up-and-comers could afford a new 325 or Saab 900 or 240ZX or whatever. So BMW is targeting a larger potential market, they just have to get the word out about their diesels. Nobody who has talked to me about my car even knew BMW offered diesels in their cars, though a few knew about X5.