BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What I Hate About The Look of the Front of an F30

23K views 258 replies 51 participants last post by  Zeichen311 
#1 · (Edited)
So we've already had a few threads about the look of the F30 when viewed from squarely front-on. I am one of the folks who don't like the look at all...from any other angle than exactly front-on I like the car a lot.

I try not to look at it, usually parking face in, but tonight I was looking at the front and remembering this thread from a few days ago...and I though...what is it really that I don't like about it? The key items I think are:

+ it looks like a sumo wrestler sat on the front of the car and squashed the face.
+ the line of the hood opening across the front
+ the lights are too extremely near the edge of the car.
+ somewhat due to the sumo-squash, the lights could be a little bigger.
+ to a lesser degree, that the lights touch the kidney grills.

I was also remembering the BMW CS concept from a few years ago which also had a very squashed (but badass!) looking front to it and the kidneys.

So to prove my theories, I did a quick photoshop attempt at my version. I have an e90 in the garage next to my f30 so I could compare what I liked and stole a few design elements from the older car. I did not change anything but the above listed items, though I know modifying the skirt for example would have been an easy cheat. Also I tried to not change the hood line as little as possible, since I know there are European pedestrian laws that require the steep swoop down to the front of the hood.

Here is what I came up with. I'm no photo shop wizard obviously, but I am wondering if you guys like the new version better or worse. As always, it's a very subjective thing and I am sure a bunch of folks will like the real version better and that's fine by me! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
First, your photoshop skills are very impressive. Well done :thumbup:

I'm with you on the hood line, but have no problem with the height of the lights. However, the light going all the way over to the kidney's has got to go. I mean c'mon BMW at least give it some shape and not just a big blob of nothing.

Overall the front to rear hood lines are a work of art and one of my favorite things about the car aesthetically. A lot of other auto manufacturers have tried to pull off the double "wave" and failed miserably. BMW's implementation is timeless IMBO.

#7 ·
first, your photoshop skills are very impressive. Well done :thumbup:

I'm with you on the hood line, but have no problem with the height of the lights. However, the light going all the way over to the kidney's has got to go. I mean c'mon bmw at least give it some shape and not just a big blob of nothing.
+1000

#16 ·
That's a pretty interesting observation. I think you are right that what I did makes it look more aggressive, though I think that might be easier achieved with a fiercer front spoiler. Maybe I should just get the M-Sport (which is more aggressive) and be happy! :)

#15 ·

It takes a week, but eventually you 'get' it and it makes sense.

What's not discussed yet should be is the protruding grill. Instead of a flat surface, it protrudes like a chrome-wrapped floating oval. The headlamp array might be a bit awkward, but the grill treatment is terrific.

BJ

#11 ·
I guess I am the only one who thinks the car is actually perfect as it is. Quite honestly when I first saw it I thought they screwed up the design with the lights touching the grille but it grew on me and I accepted it completely when I first saw the car in real life. The design stands out, it's bold and yet very distinctive and classically addictive for bmw. I wouldn't change a thing.

#13 ·
I like your hood much better. I mentioned the other day I think they did the hood "cut line" the way they did in an attempt to minimize sheet metal damage should pedestrian damage occur. I like the size of the lights and the current grill set up just fine.

#19 · (Edited)
Next time anyone looks at the image in BJ's signature, the straight hood line, the bloated hood looking from the side, and the sunken nose/mouth at the front bumper, are all there for a good reason, to be more pedestrian friendly. They were not there for aesthetic reason. You can't have the cake and eat it too, the look has to suffer a little for the good of humanity, it is the least a Bimmer driver can do. The fact BJ finds them amazingly good looking is irrelevant, because they were not there to look good, rather to protect the pedestrian.

#20 ·
Send your design to BMW and they should hire you on the spot. Great job and you fixed my main gripe with the F30 design. Now, please start working on changing the GPS screen that is just stuck there like it was an afterthought.

#38 ·
Now, please start working on changing the GPS screen that is just stuck there like it was an afterthought.
I've been saying that since the F30 was introduced, "afterthought ". Its horrible but after awhile it grows on you some what. As far as the rest of the design I like it.
cheers
vern

#22 ·
Love it or hate it the front end of cars (and not just BMWs) from here on in will be influenced by pedestrian safety rules. That is also the reason why the traditional "Leaper", which was somewhat of an anachronism anyway is no longer on Jaguars,

Although the look may appear a bit different at first it will become mainstream very rapidly and soon nobody will even notice.

CA

#23 ·
So the photoshop was an lci v2.0? I have bsm with black grills and xenons. Looks pretty awesome to me. Cant really see the hood line although i dont mind that. Car looks a lot more meaner than the e90. And i still am amazed at the xenon headlights. Rather than change any shapes i wish it had full leds.

#24 ·
I'm fine with the look of the front. The only thing I would change is moving the opening of the hood back to where it was. Not a deal-breaker, though, as I never even noticed it until you pointed it out! :D

#32 ·
LOL :)
I kinda feel out of my league too but for different reasons.. when I think I used to drive this:

...back when I lived in Poland, about 20 years ago. Hehe, believe it or not this marvel had an engine that was generously rated at 24HP :)

There was so friggin' little room inside that if you were anything above average height your knees were almost touching your chin when driving. There was a row of seats in the back although it was almost impossible to fit anything in there except a grocery bag or an infant. The advantage was you could do most of the service and repairs yourself. No rocket science in this project!

And now I am discussing the nuances of the latest bmw 3 series that I am about to own in a few short months. Sorry for sidetracking the thread but it's nice to put things into perspective for yourself every once in a while :)

#26 ·
My apologies to the E90 fanboys, I never liked the car for a lot of reasons, including the looks. The F30 is an improvement in just about every aspect of the car. All iterations of the F30 look better than any E90, and the F30 M Sport FTW. "Different strokes for different folks." :thumbup:

#31 ·
fwiw i must say i have to agree about the f30 msport vs the f30 non-msport. the f30 msport is basically just the f30 with a tacked on front bumper from the e90/e92 msport and doesnt really look better than the non-msport, in fact it does look somewhat less aggressive.

this is a total flip-flop from the e92 LCI, whose front-end is absolutely hideous without msport. in fact that is the reason i was forced to get an msport for my 335. i always considered the msport kind of a poseur M so i was not too happy about it, but it was still better than the heinous non-msport e92 LCI.

funny to see all these kids now who hopped all over the msport f30 thinking it was the next cool thing and it just looks worse.

#35 ·
Based on what I have read, a lot more people liked the F30 m-sport look more than non m-sport. This is not to say you and BJ are wrong, look is highly subjective.

I don't find the look of the F30 front/hood a deal breaker, I just don't agree that some thinks BMW achieved a design masterpiece for the perfect look, when in fact those features were meant for pedestrian safety, not for the purpose of good looks.

#36 · (Edited)
i dont doubt that there any many people that prefer the look of the msport f30, but my guess is that it is probably the result of esotiril blue (msport exclusive paint) more than the front end and the sideskirts, as those look very similar to the e90/e92.

How BMW got away with making virtually no aesthetic change to the msport front end on what is supposed to be a "next generation" chassis, I am at a loss, but if I had to guess, I would say that the person who was responsible for it either left BMW or changed responsibilities, and they just used the old aesthetic with very minor chages, or just had some intern doing it until they found someone else :dunno:

#39 ·
i dont doubt that there any many people that prefer the look of the msport f30, but my guess is that it is probably the result of esotiril blue (msport exclusive paint) more than the front end and the sideskirts, as those look very similar to the e90/e92.

How BMW got away with making virtually no aesthetic change to the msport front end on what is supposed to be a "next generation" chassis, I am at a loss, but if I had to guess, I would say that the person who was responsible for it either left BMW or changed responsibilities, and they just used the old aesthetic with very minor chages, or just had some intern doing it until they found someone else :dunno:
Some styles are timeless, as long as done tastefully. No body complains about Porsche for keeping its design cue for generations to come. The F30 m-sport front style has changes, although subtle, are more inline with the M badge than the E90 m-sport. To me E90 m-sport was a half hearted attempt at the M look. The E90 335is on the other hand was more of a true M look, so is the F30 m-sport.

Notice I am not even arguing which of the above is really better looking, just how they compared to the latest true M models.

#37 ·
To my eye, extending the headlights in to the kidney grill looks slightly odd, but no big deal. I also agree that the front edge of the hood should move forward to the grill, or like the E46, simply include the grill.

My big gripe with the F30 front end is the bumper and below. The normal front end has a massive, featureless blob of a bumper below the grill. It seems like the rare case where you're better off if you live in a state that requires a front license plate. The front spoiler/air dam below the grill really says "Kia Optima" to me; and while we can expect Kia to follow BMW's styling cues, I don't find the opposite very attractive.

And so I ordered the M-Sport. Does it look like an E90 LCI or M3? Yes. Is that look "tired"? I prefer "classic", but I see your point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.