BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lease: demo vs. "used" exec. vehicle?

51K views 245 replies 73 participants last post by  Greg@Pacific BMW 
#1 ·
How would BFS/dealer treat a vehicle considered an exec. vehicle vs. offering dealer demo in a lease? Looking at what seems to be 2014 3 series exec vehicle with <7K mileage. MSRP @$45K with cap cost/price @$39K so comparable to new with all current incentives if a similar one was available. Any reason to calculate lease differently? I'd even think a little less with mileage factored.

#46 · (Edited)
Thanks Greg for the offer. I think I will need to wait until we get closer to Dec to pull the trigger. Demo is definitely on my list of cars to look for now that I understand it a lot more :cool:. Thanks for the thread.

I went to the ultimate test drive event yesterday in N. California (and the lunch is lobster roll, fish&chip and clam chowder. Mrs Fruitcake like it very much :cool:). I really like the size/interior of the 435 grand coupe and the drive of the 435 convertible. We have a 2014 Z4 is and a 2103 535. And the 435 GC drive very much like the 535 with a smaller size that we prefer. Mrs Fruitcake like the 435 GC interior as much as the 5 that we have. And the driving dynamic of the 435 convertible is between 535 and z4 is. I would love to see some of them going on the demo list. I would be happy with anyone of them .. 5 size is a little on the too big side for us now.. Ultimately I think the available deal will drive me to one of them :cool:)

#47 ·
The kbb private party prices(with same configs) of some of the demo cars listed are $3k to $4k cheaper than the asking prices, however it is an interesting case that such demo cars(with 10k miles) can still be leased, while private sale units with those miles are finance/cash purchases.

#49 · (Edited)
I checked KBB for my car and noticed I couldn't select some options I had...maybe that's why your values are off? For example, I couldn't select the Lighting Package (LED lights). Even then, the values were somewhat close to prices on Pacific's website. You just have to do the math on each car. Generally demos will yield good deals...but not all of them will be ideal. The ideal conditions are: Good cap cost, high MSRP, and lower mileage (unless the discount is large enough which could offset the $0.20/mile over 500 mi residual deduction).

For example, by my calculations here's a low payment demo with higher miles (only recommended for 10K mi/year lease since you need to take into account the 50,000 mi warranty): http://www.pacificbmw.com/commercia...les-area-6c3b316d0a0a006471e5c7ed351b2633.htm.

Purely using the numbers from the website link just to show the math...at 15,078 mileage & $59,825 MSRP & $15,000 discount to offset the mileage...with 7 MSDs you are at $392.18/mo INCLUDING 9% CA sales tax ($359.80 base payment + $32.38 CA sales tax). It may not have all the ideal options but this gives you an idea of potential savings. If you want a lower mileage demos, the discount may not be as much. Just talk to Greg, he'll set you up with a great deal.

#51 ·
KBB is not a good source for use car information. Car price and especially used car price are local in nature. The same car can have a price that is a few thousand dollars off if you move it a few zipcode away. The best bet is go around town and check what is available... And with a car so new (2014 has been out only 10 or so months ago), there are very few sample of used car sales price. So you will more or less shooting in the dark..

#52 ·
#53 ·
Looking at a 535i xDrive in the Eastern Region, Manufacturer Vehicle, sold at auction, with a damage disclosure evident in the Carfax.

Carfax states, "Left Rear Impact, Minor to No Damage"

MSRP: $63,125
Dealer has it listed online for $55,497.
Mileage: 8,461
VIN:WBA5B3C59ED532532

Can somebody please advise a fair, reasonable price I should expect to pay for the vehicle?

Looking to lease 3 years, 15K miles a year. Just not sure how much dealer will go down on price.

Thanks, in advance, for all input.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#56 · (Edited)
Looking at a 535i xDrive in the Eastern Region, Manufacturer Vehicle, sold at auction, with a damage disclosure evident in the Carfax.

Carfax states, "Left Rear Impact, Minor to No Damage"

MSRP: $63,125
Dealer has it listed online for $55,497.
Mileage: 8,461
VIN:WBA5B3C59ED532532

Can somebody please advise a fair, reasonable price I should expect to pay for the vehicle?

Looking to lease 3 years, 15K miles a year. Just not sure how much dealer will go down on price.

Thanks, in advance, for all input.

You know you can ask the selling dealer for the disclourse report. It will show the exact dollar amount of the disclourse. From there you can determine if the selling price is worth it or not.

#54 ·
You will never know what they paid for the car bottom line.... All you can do is compare the lease on this car to a brand-new one if payment is 150 to 200 less it's a good deal.... The worse the color combination the better your chances at a great deal become. You can check our website for comparative pricing.

GregPoland@pacificbmw.com

#55 ·
Greg, I truly appreciate your timely response. Sponsors like yourself are what make this site phenomenal.

P.S: I may be low balling a little too much here, but is it possible to lease one of your 2014 X6 xDrive's in your inventory in the $400's to low $500's? Trying to work a deal for my uncle. Were currently in a 2013 X3.

#59 ·
I found a sweet deal on a 320 with sport package. I have a sneaking suspicion that the CA i spoke to ended up with the car. She seemed shocked that i was coming up with a lease payment south of $300 a month including taxes, the next morning i sent her my spread sheet to make sure all the numbers looked right, didn't hear from her for about 6 hours and she sends me an email that the car has been sold. On a Tuesday morning? Not saying its not possible, just seems fishy to me. Is there any way to determine if this happened? Any suggestions?

#67 ·
Yes you can lease a 2014 service loaner easily.......

#68 ·
#69 ·
it's ok..... the 535's and 550's are the best

#73 ·
Certain incentives count some do not....you have to check with dealer. For what it worth just did a 550 deal on a demo with a Fest member for under $500 a month with a simple drive off. Pacific BMW has a lot of demo deals.....you need to check our website :)

#80 ·
Greg any dealer you might know that deals with Demo's around NYC area??? I wish I can take advantage of these deals!!! thanks!!

#74 ·
I really don't see on a lease scenario where there's that great of a savings to take a demo or loaner car. You don't know the history. You don't know how the car has been treated. IMO the discount is not that significant.

I'd rather take a new car, negotiate from there, and have lemon protection. Dealers dangling a few bucks in someone's face due to a car being a demo is pretty lame IMO. I saw a very distinctive dealer-owned 750 being driven around for a few months. Then I spotted it with a significant amount of body damage in the right rear of the car with a gouge going into the passenger rear door.

Yeah....this is worth the discount.... It's been someone's beater. Know your numbers, time the market and the deals rather than take someone's beater. Some may feel it's a deal but they have no idea of this history or damage. It's risky enough to take a new car due to the technology whether it will be a good car or not--taking a loaner ups that risk.

I know there are plenty of cars out there that might be A1 prime examples, but I think those are are and few--like many have pointed out that dealer staff or dealer "buddies" will see those cars far before you do.

#76 · (Edited)
You might be right. I tried too. Currently have an offer for a MY14 640i xdrive Gran Coupe for $72,500 plus tax and fees. Original Msrp $86,825. New not demo.

#77 ·
ok, ....I'm going to say this then bow out......Some of you guys are just not getting it.....I am not talking about a "Dealer demo" that owner drives and beats up. I am talking about a BMW NA factory car. Like I have said if you are picky and anal about what you want this may not be the deal for you. Note I have two festers that already got killer deals this month, they understood the program and the deal a 2014 535 for $377 and a 2014 550 for $495 INCLUDING TAX.....!! ..... LETS BE CLEAR.. you can not "negotiate: a better deal a SIMILAR new car.....you do not have to be a insider, you just have to be open and find the right deals/dealer. Now keep in mind again... NOT every demo deal may work... sometime dealer may pay to much for car, so the #'s may not work. THESE CARS NOT FOR EVERYONE.... in fact one of the owners that got a deal is on this thread. If you non-believers want to see how this offer can work for you maybe you should call me or talk to me FIRST for details and I can explain how this can benefit you as long as you come with open mind. OK enough said, peace.

#78 ·
I'm one of those that got the deal this month from Greg. This is actually my second demo. My first demo was a few years back, a fully loaded 2009 335 Coupe for around $450 including CA tax. This was when my friends were paying $600-$700 for the same loaded Coupe. Both demos look brand new and includes full warranty through the length of my lease. I just pay a few hundred bucks less per month. Demos are best to be leased. I turn it in in 3 years, who cares what the history (if any) is?

#79 ·
We did check out the Pacific demo inventory and the ones we are interested in usually have 10k+ miles, while local inventories are available with comparable discounts and with less than 10 miles on odometer. For this specific case the demo available does not seem to work for us. Also the buyer tends to keep the car for a little while(maybe 5-6 years) so the lease option is not viable.

#81 ·
Sorry I do not... I do out of state transactions, maybe I can help?

#82 ·
My lease on my 2012 528 is up in march!! Well be in contact before then!! Thanks!!

#84 ·
YES SOMETIMES.... you have to check our inventory.

#85 ·
Greg - I will definitely be interested in this when it comes time to lease (end of Oct - latest end of Nov).

Not to sound overly greedy as this is a great find for leasing folks, but if BMW is offering build out cash or any incentive like that on a given model, would that be applicable as well?

Thanks much!

#86 ·
Hello all,
A local dealer has a demo 2014 X5 SDrive M sport with 1039 miles for $59781. MSRP is $67250. From what I have read here, it seems this car can be leased. If so, would the residuals and MF change drastically from a new 2014? They have several 2014s with varying miles in stock. What would be a good offer for this vehicle, maybe start at invoice?
TIA
Kris

#87 ·
Same question as previous post. On a 2014 exec X1 2.8xdrive, how do we figure residual? It has about 4600 miles. MSRP around $45.5k, dealer asking $34k. Would do 10/36.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.