BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CA makes key decisions re i3 REx :(

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ultraturtle 
#1 ·
This just in, from Eric Loveday at Inside EV's:

http://insideevs.com/breaking-bmw-i3-re ... ide+EVs%29

1. The RE version qualifies for the green, not the white HOV sticker.

Unfortunately, by the time the first REx arrives in CA, there will be no green stickers left, given that 39,359 of the 40,000 limit have already been issued :(

2. Also, the REx has qualified for the $1,500 tax rebate from CA.

Unfortunately, this is $1,000 less than what the BEV version qualified for. And doubly unfortunately, there is currently no money left in the rebate pool anyway. :(

#3 · (Edited)
2. Also, the REx has qualified for the $1,500 tax rebate from CA.

Unfortunately, this is $1,000 less than what the BEV version qualified for. And doubly unfortunately, there is currently no money left in the rebate pool anyway. :(
Incorrect. The REx qualifies for the full $2,500 tax rebate: BMW i3 REx Now Qualifies For $2,500 Rebate in California

Also, point #1 is a red herring. BMW never had any intention to qualify the REx for a white sticker, so announcing failure to do so bends toward the ridiculous.

Also, the 40,000 limit on green stickers will almost certainly be raised to 85,000, as AB2013 finally cleared the Assembly yesterday. Any Californian purchasing a REx in the near future (i.e. the next year or two) will get a green sticker, which offers precisely the same privileges as a white sticker, rendering the entire point moot.

#4 · (Edited)
Any Californian purchasing a REx in the near future (i.e. the next year or two) will get a green sticker, which offers precisely the same privileges as a white sticker, rendering the entire point moot.
Can I3 REX be driven in the HOV lane then? That would make it a very interested purchase as I live in SF area and Bay bridge in the peak hours are terrible and the ability to drive in the HOV lane is a very good selling point...As far as I can tell, only 40,000 HOV sticker is going to issue for the green sticker and they are already at 39, 359 on Apr 28, 2014. So unless the green sticker program get extended... I3 REX owner is going to be stuck without the HOV sticker.. I would love to own a EV with 120 miles or so range.. Day trip around the SF area can easily burn 100-120 miles..

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

As of April 28, 2014, 39,359 "green" stickers have been issued. Green stickers are valid through January 1, 2019.

Green Clean Air Vehicle Stickers are available to the first 40,000 applicants that purchase or lease cars meeting California's transitional zero emission vehicles (TZEV) requirement, also known as the enhanced advanced technology partial zero emission vehicle (AT PZEV)* requirement. Per SB 286, the expiration date for the green stickers has been extended to January 1, 2019.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.