BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Best diagnostic/coding tools?

10K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  thesithlord 
#1 ·
What kind hardware/software would be best to get for e46?
First purpose would be to read codes, but i think i don't want to buy something which can only read codes, i want to be able to recode stuff also.
Can these easily remap ECU? Some software updates available?
I'm not sure if I'm going to, but i want to get something good which can go all the way.

Can there be some good program for laptop? (BMW Carsoft?)
What kind cables and plugs are needed?
Any other good stuff out there?

#3 ·
That looks good, might get one of those...

How about anything for remapping ECU?
Might be too much for me to handle, but there's some upgrade kit, camshaft and bit other stuff, and it says that ECU should be remapped for best result.
Mechanical parts i can handle myself, but how about that software part?

#4 ·
i'm not sure u can remap the ECU for better performance (to provide +15hp for example) this is a very good tool to scan for codes, reset codes and do the fun stuff like turning the fog lights with high beams and so on... contact them for more info

#5 · (Edited)
Ofcourse coding alone can't give more power, but i'm curious about options.
Or... does that ECU just learn on it's own when i just bolt on mechanical parts?

Anyway Carsoft 6.5 sounds interesting as well.
Anyone who have used that?

#8 · (Edited)
Thinking about it, but it's not on top of the list.
Shocks and clutch are next to buy.

I think i could deal with camshaft, but i know opening up engine is always bit risky so should think everything through very well before starting.
I'm fine with mechanical parts, just electronics/software part always makes me wonder.
What if it just doesn't want to run with wrong part???
Anyway i'm running M43 engine in mine which is bit more simple about those.

Generally I have more ideas than money. :D

#10 ·
From the bestlinks:
Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1) & BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software such as INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic-tool forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

#11 ·
Ordered that BMW Scanner 1.4.0. hope it comes soon.
And i guess i should get laptop also.
Wife has one, but maybe i shouldn't expect to use that one for this purpose. :D

#13 ·
I got scanner couple days ago yes, but didn't quite install and get to it yet.
Wife has Windows 7 in her computer, and this one has XP, but this one is not portable... so thinking about what's smartest way to deal with it.
Might even get some old second hand laptop just for scanner use, they are quite cheap.

#15 ·
no need, simply install Windows XP on a virtual PC (lots of info on google how to use a Virtual PC) on ur wife's laptop and u'll b good to go. u'll do all ur work from the virtual PC.

#17 ·
I use the BMW factory tools. INPA, DIS, WinKFP, NCS, SSS/Progman. They are out there in the wild and can be obtained easily. (Well, at least they were 3 years ago. now :dunno:)

I have been able to do anything I have needed to do so far. Reading and clearing codes, Reading BMW factory codes that a reg hand held reader will not show, Programming car key memory options, Alarm retrofit coding.

All the information you would ever need in order to do this is on one of the other forums in the coding and diagnostic section. Worth considering i think.

#18 ·
I use the BMW factory tools. INPA, DIS, WinKFP, NCS, SSS/Progman. They are out there in the wild and can be obtained easily. (Well, at least they were 3 years ago. now :dunno:)

I have been able to do anything I have needed to do so far. Reading and clearing codes, Reading BMW factory codes that a reg hand held reader will not show, Programming car key memory options, Alarm retrofit coding.

All the information you would ever need in order to do this is on one of the other forums in the coding and diagnostic section. Worth considering i think.
Plus 9 million

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

#25 ·
Ok got new (OLD, 15€) laptop and tried BMW Scanner 1.4.0 first time... and it gave "access violation at address... " message, but i already found instructions about what to do with it. (http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0)

Anyway should i have engine running when using this? Or never have engine running?
What kind stuff is what i might or might not have depending on my device?

#28 ·
I have been using DIS for diagnosis. I like the way it tells you what is wrong with the car and also how to fix it(test plan) not just some codes that you still need to decipher. And for coding I use NCSExpert. Im running my DIS on a windows 7 laptop and NCSExpert on an XP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.