Smolcks 323I Destruction Thread

11K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  Gryphon 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Damn, so the day finally came....

#18 ·
So here it is. I will update it as the continue to kill it and ultimately post a video of it being crushed in the smasher.

RIP 323.
Aww, man, those are my clears. I hope they don't crush them. For a worthwhile cause, though.

#21 ·
Just saw the YouTube video. So many memories have been built into your car. Not sure if I'm the only one, but as i watched your video definitely makes me reminisce about all the time I've spent working on, in, under and around my car. But as stated, on to better things. And I know it will be with a smile on your face.

#25 ·
I'm a little puzzled. I'm too new to the 'Fest to have witnessed the entire saga about what you've done with the 323 during the time you owned it, but given how much you know about these cars, I'm sure you must have maintained it in fantastic shape, despite the miles. So why did you junk it? Couldn't you have gotten at least a few thousand out of it?

But in any event, congrats on the ZHP. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

#26 ·
Vario, I take it smolck had a bit of work to bring this back up to snuff, then proceded to maximize it in every reasonable way (read: not sTuPiD powah crap) for what he would have liked if ordering new. Ghosts and incompatibility just sort of caught up with it, I presume. But, through that process, he's one of the most knowledgable and handy 'festers around for the e46! Yay us, since he's staying with the platform!

#27 · (Edited)
I was just gonna say...Why junk yard instead of selling or parting out? What's done is done though. Congrats on ZHP!

Just read this in the other thread and it makes sense now
"So here is the latest. The salvage could only pay me $1500 right now for the car. They said they need a few more days to get the other $750. Sucks because as soon as I get the $2250 in hand, the ZHP is MINE! The owner is going to let me have it asap. More waiting."

#29 ·
The car is dead so it is all moot, but here is the best explanation I can give as to why I took the course of action I did vs selling it or parting it out myself.

Yes, I can fix anything on an E46, that is true. But I am a father of 4 kids and only one income. So money for the parts it needed was never all that readily available and I always had "other things" that came up (teeth, doctors, school stuff, daughters car, etc) and the car fell to the back burner. I also used my car as a "test bed" for some pretty stupid ideas. For instance I put a flowmaster muffler on it, just for kicks and ended up melting a good portion of the rear bumper. I wanted a black roof so I painted it with a roller (followed a DIY some guy did) and it didn't turn out very good. I converted it to manual but never coded the computer to the car so it wasn't "right", drove fine but had CEL and no clutch safety switch etc. And then there was the failed seat dying which looked like crapola. It just wasn't worth it, nor did I feel right about selling it to someone. As far as parting it out personally, I just didn't want the hassle and I don't have a place to house the car while stripping it down. And even though I live in Alabama, my house is pretty nice and I didn't feel like junking up my yard (not to mention pissing off the homeowners association) with a parted car. I decided the best thing was just to let it go and get what I could without the hassles. Yea, it cost me a grand or so, but well worth it IMO.

I did have my friend that works at the parts place salvage some of the newer parts from it and my expensive adjustable sway bar links. Going to pick them up today.

So there you have it, long story but hopefully it makes more sense now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.