BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

WARNING : Is you trunk really closed ?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  plninc 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed this recently on my E39.

Try this.

Open the trunk manually by inserting the key into the trunk and turning it open.

Remove the key.

Lift the trunk and slam it shut.

Put you hand on the hidden handle just above the license plate and press.

You might be shocked ..... it OPENS !!!!

Who the hell came up with this design ?

It turns out you have to manually lock the trunk again with the key to keep this from happening.

#2 ·
Mine always opens when I pull on the handle above the license plate, as long as the car is unlocked. Why would this be surprising? That's how it should work isn't it?

Maybe I'm missing the point. What does the manual key unlocking the trunk have to do with anything, and why would you want to when you have a remote? :dunno:

#3 ·
Why are you surprised? There is a release button right there where you are pulling up. Now, if its opening when its locked, that is another issue. I'm unclear as to what the problem is though...

#8 ·
Why are you surprised? There is a release button right there where you are pulling up. Now, if its opening when its locked, that is another issue.
:confused: LOL. It sure would be. I just realized that if you manually open the trunk with the key in the lock, you unlock all the doors as well !

I never noticed that they were opening as well, but then, I hardly ever open the trunk using the key.

#6 ·
I might be a little confused... but isn't the trunk supposed to open when you manually use the key, and when you use the handle above the license plate????

#13 ·
Stupid? Hmmm.

I must ask...have you read your owners manual to get an understanding of how your trunk works? Not sure why you feel it is "stupid" to have the option of having the trunk connected to the central locking system or separated from the central locking system. You can change the way your trunk operates if you think it's stupid to have the ability to open the trunk when the car is unlocked. See SECURE SEPARATELY in image below from owners manual. :)

The trunk can be put into valet mode by leaving the trunk lock cylinder in the HORIZONTAL position ( -- ). This appears to be how you think the trunk should work and not be "stupid". This means you'd ALWAYS have to use the remote button on the key, or stick the key manually into the trunk lock cylinder to open the trunk.

BMW gave owners another option .... and that is to have the trunk connected to the central locking system...which means the trunk can be opened any time the doors are unlocked. If you lock the doors, the trunk is also locked...if you UNLOCK the doors, then you can also access the trunk without having to insert the key into the cylinder.

If you leave the trunk lock cylinder in the VERTICAL position ( | ) the trunk is connected to the central locking system...anytime you have the doors unlocked you or passengers have easy access to the trunk...all that is needed is to press the release button (see text below highlighted in yellow from owners manual):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.