BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

how to replace steering wheel?

6K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  rsims5series 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 740I and I want to replace my standard steering wheel with a 3 spoke. How difficult is that? Is that something I can do myself? Don't work on cars alot but i'm pretty handy. Any tips on this would be great!

#4 ·
Proceed with caution...the 1999 model year is split between the single stage airbag system and dual stage airbag system. You need to determine which type of set-up you have BEFORE you start shopping for a steering wheel.

If your car's build date is 3/99-up...then you have the dual stage airbag system. You have more options for either style of 3-spoke M steering wheels. The e38 & e39 use the same MFL steering wheels...and you can also use the e46 (dual stage wheels)

If your 99 was built between 9/98-2/99....then it has a single stage airbag system...and you need to look for single stage 3 spoke wheels from e39s or e36s built prior to 3/99...or you can shop the Euro market for e36/e38/e39 3 spoke single stage M 3-spoke steering wheels.

Here's my DIY (with battery disconnect warning :) ) for swapping my single stage 4 spoke wheel with a single stage 3 spoke steering wheel (from an e39). Since both wheels are single stage...it was a simple swap. If possible, try to get a wheel with the slip ring still attached...if the slip ring is unattached you can reuse yours but you want to be careful...you can see what happens if you unravel the innards in the link given above to Cliff's (visionbmw) DIY:

#5 ·
my steering wheel is completely stuck on there somehow and im not sure why because i removed the airbag, all the cables, and the center bolt and it wont come off any ideas? am i missing a trick? ive done it with the steering wheel locked and unlocked. any suggestions?

p.s. i pulled it so hard that the steering wheel actually started cracking down the middle and a gear puller or heating up the threads didnt help

#6 ·
my steering wheel is completely stuck on there somehow and im not sure why because i removed the airbag, all the cables, and the center bolt and it wont come off any ideas? am i missing a trick? ive done it with the steering wheel locked and unlocked. any suggestions?

p.s. i pulled it so hard that the steering wheel actually started cracking down the middle and a gear puller or heating up the threads didnt help
- A puller should do the trick.

#8 ·
You have a single stage airbag, and you should replace it with another single stage airbag.
Everything you need to know is in Q's post above yours.

There are actually 2 types of 3 spoke steering wheels, but I'm guessing you want the 3 spoke with the fat airbag wheel that comes on the 99-01 sport e38s. You'll need to find that type of wheel/airbag from a different model BMW (maybe a 3 series?) that is a single stage airbag & still has the same steering wheel control buttons as your current wheel has. I'm not sure if they made that or not. You'll have to do some searching.....

#10 ·
I hope that is a center nut you removed, rather than a bolt. Maybe you ae not 'deep' enough into the unit to remove the wheel at the moment. Maybe post a pix.

#11 ·
I did my steering wheel on a 98 740il the other day and it came off no problem???The hardest part for me was the t30 screws...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.