BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake warning light

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jygesq 
#1 ·
I just had my abs module rebuilt and it fixed a lot issues; speedometer, cruise control, traction and abs lights. I still have the brake warning light on. The car had new pads and rotors installed before I purchased the car. The pad indicator still comes on when car is started. Does this also turn the brake warning light on? 2002 530i with 178,000.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
Sorry for the way too big pictures...

If the issue was a brake pad wear sensor, in my experience the light would look like this (orange):

Here's a photo that I took of my cluster a couple of years ago,

The Brake light is red when the handbrake is pulled up, granted my car has the "low cluster" (Small screen), I believe that the equivalent indication on a "high cluster" (Wide screen) would read "Park Brake" or a solid red "P".

Regardless, is this a depiction of the "brake" light that you speak of on your car?

If so, the red "brake" indicator (parking brake down of course) means that there is either not enough brake fluid in the reservoir, or there is an issue with the fluid level sensor, either it's broken, or more than likely it's not plugged in. It's located in the cap of the brake fluid reservoir and is often unplugged when removing the cap to add or flush fluid (which would have been necessary to replace the ABS unit).

Accessing the brake fluid reservoir involves removing the drivers side cabin filter housing, it's not terribly difficult, it's held in by a spring-like clip in the front of the housing near the hood open sensor and to the air duct by an oval plastic clamp, pop the tabs very carefully... The hardest part is going to be removing the air duct from the firewall area and even harder is putting it back in. It needs to be rotated 90 degrees and it's kind of a pain, you get used to it after a couple of tries.

#6 ·
Here is what I am seeing
Gauge Car Vehicle Auto part Speedometer

The brake lining indicator comes across the readout in center and the brake light. Now if I pull up the parking brake there is another light that comes on that states park brake.

I will check into the brake fluid cap sensor.

This was not messed with for the abs because I unbolted the abs module off the front of the abs unit and did not have to mess with the brake lines and fluid.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.