BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Retrofit of smartphone integration and 6nr done

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mgarciah 
#1 · (Edited)
First off i have to thank Patryk at Bimmertech for making the entire experience very positive.

I have a 2013 Bmw x5 sports Unfortunately for me in Canada if you want the 6nr and smartphone integration you have to get the tech package which is the side cameras and hud display for almost 4k. you cannot get them separately.

I wasn't particularly interested in the hud display or the side cameras so i felt paying 4k for 6nr and smartphone integration was a little excessive.

After receiving my car i decided that i wanted both 6nr and the smartphone integration. I began to look at possible retrofit solutions with BMW but sadly none are available. however Patryk at Bimmertech offers a oem solution for the 6nr and smartphone integration.

For those interested here is the process and what steps are needed to have the retrofit function. i placed the order on his website and was informed my oem parts would be sent with instructions and the coding would be done remotely. I was little weary of having someone i don't know coding my car from the other side of the world but having read a few positive reviews i took the leap.

The goods: i already had the combox so what i needed was a green connector , a usb plug with a av in plug. That was pretty much what was in the box so i was very pleased to see there was not 100 different parts to install.

the installation: i was scared to death of scratching my wood trim so i asked my friend who has taken apart a few bmw radios to give me a hand. We basically removed the trim and the radio to get to the cic. I have to emit i was very skid dish while doing it but it went very smoothly and took 5 minutes to get to the cic. the other bit of removing is You need to replace your USB port in the armrest with the new usb av in.
When you remove the old USB port you hv to move 2 pins old AUX connector to the small green connector. then you run a coupe of pins to the cic and then you put the cic radio and trim back and voila you are done. not exactly rocket science but i would recommend you have the ability to get to the cic.

the coding: you will need a windows laptop you will be asked to install a few programs to allow for the remote coding. Some installations go really smoothly others a little less smoothly. Patryk associate "MEN" is a true professional who is truly amazing at remote coding. The coding part for me took a little bit longer then i thought some of it was my fault but MEN took the time to double check my installation and make sure everything was working. With a little patience MEN was able to code the car and make me a very happy man.

the results
DVD IN MOTION:

THE 6NR WHCH INCLUDES
BMW APPS:
NEWS
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
WEB RADIO
CALENDAR
LOCAL WIKI

THE INCREDIBLE SMARTPHONE PLUG IN WHICH ALLOWS FOR ALBUM ART AND THE IPHONE IPOD INTERFACE TO CONTROL YOU MUSIC

ANOTHER GREAT FEATURE IS VIDEO WITH SOUND!!!

AND ANOTHER BIG PLUS IPHONE DISPLAY ON THE IDIRVE!!!

If any of you are considering doing this go for it you won't be sorry ......i am loving it!!!

George

See less See more
#4 ·
yes i have both bmw live and the internet, i will take some pics of that as well, bmw live offers some cool functionality, but the internet is not available in motion and does not play flash.

There are huge advantages to having the iPhone display on the drive such as using every app on your phone looking at pictures act.... You could stream live tv through an app or use netflix ect...

I was really worried to do this especially with a brand new 2013 but it ended up vein a pretty cool experience i learned a great deal.

#8 ·
I am not sure how it works in Canada (or the US) - is it not possible to make individual order (or how is it called) for a particular item? I read about this some time ago (unfortunately, after X5 arrived)

Why is works differently in Europe where you can configure the car as you want (with some minor limitations) and in the US / Canada where you order packages? Is it for customers to make the life easier?

First off i have to thank Patryk at Bimmertech for making the entire experience very positive.

I have a 2013 Bmw x5 sports Unfortunately for me in Canada if you want the 6nr and smartphone integration you have to get the tech package which is the side cameras and hud display for almost 4k. you cannot get them separately.

(...)

#12 · (Edited)
+1
Just had a great experience with Patryk and Men. Completely coded my car in minutes, an amazing experience. Well worth the $$

What is the app to get the jailbroken iphone on the display?
EDIT- figured it out, its DisplayOut.

its a nice option to have, but not all that convenient as it only works while iphone is in the cradle. When using the DisplayOut app to say display your email on the idrive display, you no longer have access to music, and adjusting the iPhone while driving is not very safe. Still a nice option for limited uses.

#13 · (Edited)
Wait a minute... So you're saying that with the iPhone display on the idrive screen, you can also view your email and texts, etc. through the screen too? If so, can you view them using the idrive controller or do you have to do it through the phone?

This may end my complaining for Apple not offering Message Access Protocol.

Edit- ok read again that it has to be done through the phone and not the idrive controller. My excitement got ahead of me.

#14 ·
I dont think this option requires any coding. Its simply an option with a Jailbrake app called DisplayOut.
It allows you to display whatever is on your iPhone, whether its email, texts, apps...anything. BUT...it is just a display, if you want to control the iphone you do it from the phone, which must be in the cradle.
Obviously this is less than ideal, but its still handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.