BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

530d Turbo Issues HELP!!!!!!!!

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DennisCooper! 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a situation which needs to be cleaned up asap. Owned my BMW for just over a year now and I treat it like the queen lol. 530d never given me problems until now The turbo is leaking internally which has now gone into the exhaust causing it to smoke like its a rocket going into space. I know i must remove the catalytic converter as thats kaput should we say lol. I currently have remapped the car to 244bhp and fitted a K&N air filter. As a retired mechanic I do most of the work myself when I can e.g. servicing as I dont trust many with my vehicle.

The actual thread is for a hybrid turbo. I have been reading up and understand a hybrid turbo can possibly boost the car upto 300bhp I am a family man therefore an M5 is not an option as it would kill me in petrol. I love my diesel and I love this car. I am planning on fitting a decat exhaust also when I have made a choice on the hybrid or oem turbo. What i would like to know is whether the hybrid turbo will give me those figures and how much roughly am i looking at? Also will my oem injectors be good enough to handle the hybrid turbo?

thankyou in advance!!!

#2 ·
Hi Omar,

This forum is 99% USA / Canada focused, and as their petrol is so very cheap, the E39 Diesel variants didn't make it across over to North America!

Nip over to the UK centric http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/ which has much more Diesel specific knowledge and some excellent members who know their mechanical and oily bits stuff very well (I don't know what a spanner is!)

There's a couple of options for the Turbo upgrades. I know an E60 Turbo can be used with some light modifications to get it to fit/work. One member on BMW5 has done exactly that, I think it offers better mechanical properties than any performance or boost gains - but I'm a bit vague on that as haven't read the thread he posted up about it etc.

The Hybrid turbo route you mention is possible and has been done quite a few times by those who like to modify a little more. I've considered it as well and pending a few other bits, may well indeed go this route as well. The standard injectors are not up to the job of this upgrade though, so they have to be upgraded - I think to 535d injectors and perhaps some mods to make them fit/work (not 100% on that) a suitable hybrid turbo is also needed, and once all fitted and bolted up, someone who knows what they're doing will need to carefully re-map the ECU. Rated power output is around the 290bhp level, but with a slightly more aggressive tune, it could be 300 bhp. Other modifications will help such as EGR bypass valve, E60 breather mod, de-cat downpipe and perhaps an uprated induction kit and perhaps a stainless steel exhaust. The last time I had an approximate cost including fitting/labour and re-map etc, was around the £3K kind of level. A manual gearbox will certainly make the car lively to drive, and an auto as well but of course a different kind of overall feel. One thing for sure is if you did go this route, your MPG will reduce significantly as you enjoy that power and torque delivery, the increased costs will also be felt if you also then use V Power Diesel fuel as well! these effects will be slightly better if you have a manual gearbox !

Cheers, Dennis!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.