BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Calling Jared, Chad, and other M62tu owners (non e36 content)

3K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  crisscross 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to look at an x5 tomorrow with the M62tu (2000 with air suspension and auto) and I'm wondering if you have opinions about it. Specifically, cost and major problems. I'm worried about the valley pan gaskets and cooling system problems. I don't know much about the air suspension either....

Chad is this the same suspension as the Rover had? If so did you ever get air suspension inactive codes? Also, this is the same motor the Rover had.... did you have timing guide problems, vanos rattles or anything else?

The car is question has 146000 miles, owned by a real-estate agent for majority of its life.

Thanks for the helps!!!

#2 ·
I had Rovers designed before the involvement, very different engine, but I've had my share of M62s and have a pair in my driveway add we speak. :rofl:

The timing chain guides usually last to around 200k. Vanos seals are likely going to need doing and don't look as fun as M52s. Valve cover gaskets and valley pans leak like they were designed to be fluid passages.

146k Realtor miles is a lot of city and start-stop driving. Don't know anything about the EAS on E53s.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#3 ·
Hrm.... is it something you would take on for a wifey car? I want something fairly reliable, but not tooo expensive on parts...

If it were an m54 i wouldn't think twice about picking it up.....

#4 ·
Two part answer.

1) Yes, absolutely. I'd love to get an X5 for Brittany as a DD and she likes them too, or at least she did before her Suburban kick.

2) Look at my history of cars. What cars have I owned that aren't incredibly maintenance intensive? I'm probably not a good reference point.

#5 ·
True.... Well I will update tomorrow....:)

#6 ·
Hoping to see you put one in the driveway! One note, Brittany found the SUV really helped her back rather than stooping over to latch the car seats into a sedan/wagon.

#7 ·
Oh thats good, we have a toyota highlander right now, but I'm looking to down grade and free up some cash. We will definitely stay with an SUV though :thumbup:

#16 ·
This one just happened to pop up and at a good price.....

I've been very lucky with my X5, but it's an N62. I'm pretty scared of valvetronic in general, but it seems to be fine for now.

I see air suspension problems on xoutpost all the time, but mine are fine. Most people like us simply replace it with springs and deactivate the air system once it goes bad.

I've spoken to a few 3.0 X5 owners, and they actually get worse mileage than I do. I think because the engine has to work harder to move the truck, and folks tend to drive the piss out of them all the time. I baby mine just to keep gas expenses down, but I blip the throttle when I need to maneuver.

The automatic transmission is another beef. I think we're all well versed with the issues here, so I won't go into detail. Mine exhibits a kind of clunk/lurch, but only if you slam the throttle hard after a full/rolling stop. I've learned how to prevent it simply by being smooth and light on the pedal. Mine is the better 6-speed, though, which probably accounts for some of the better mileage, too.

Anyway, they're great vehicles and I'm very pleased with mine. Especially the interior. I do keep having to get into the door panels to fix the damn regulators/window carriers. I have it down to about 20m though, so it's not so bad.

If you can swing it, get a 4.6is. They can be had for 11-13k.
Hmm good info here, I am a little nervous, but if all the problem areas look to be in good order I may jump on it. As far as the air system, that is what I figured I would do. He says it has had some recent air system work, so we'll see if its fully functioning, and what exactly has been done to it.

How many miles on yours?

I'm guessing it's a combination of the N62, and the 6 speed overdrive.
I can guarantee right now you're not going to get anywhere close to that kind of mileage with a 4.4 M62+ 5spd.

True, but the highlander gets 21 on the highway, so that is in the ballpark of a 4.4 X5. I also have heard and read that the v8's get almost the same if not better mileage than the 3.0's throughout all the years...

#9 ·
I've been very lucky with my X5, but it's an N62. I'm pretty scared of valvetronic in general, but it seems to be fine for now.

I see air suspension problems on xoutpost all the time, but mine are fine. Most people like us simply replace it with springs and deactivate the air system once it goes bad.

I've spoken to a few 3.0 X5 owners, and they actually get worse mileage than I do. I think because the engine has to work harder to move the truck, and folks tend to drive the piss out of them all the time. I baby mine just to keep gas expenses down, but I blip the throttle when I need to maneuver.

The automatic transmission is another beef. I think we're all well versed with the issues here, so I won't go into detail. Mine exhibits a kind of clunk/lurch, but only if you slam the throttle hard after a full/rolling stop. I've learned how to prevent it simply by being smooth and light on the pedal. Mine is the better 6-speed, though, which probably accounts for some of the better mileage, too.

Anyway, they're great vehicles and I'm very pleased with mine. Especially the interior. I do keep having to get into the door panels to fix the damn regulators/window carriers. I have it down to about 20m though, so it's not so bad.

If you can swing it, get a 4.6is. They can be had for 11-13k.

#11 ·
Last long trip (LA) was 28mpg. I can get 26 if I use the sprint method (after checking an overpass, accelerate to as fast as you care to, safely, then decelerate back down to ~75-80 for the next overpass), which is still pretty amazing.

Most around town stuff (10mile commute, plus an SF/SC trip tossed in) yields 21-22.

When I really hammer on it I expect nothing more than 18.

#12 ·
Thats rediculous. Is that going by your obc? Ashlins obc says between 14&15 strictly town, however she floors it all the time it seems like (women SMH). When we took it to the beach and to Tennessee we got about 25 highway which is pretty good. I wish I could drive it for a full tank and see what the mpg would be.

#13 ·
OBC and verified via fuel log.

It's gotta be the transmission. I can cruise on the highway under 2k rpms in 6th.

#15 ·
I'm guessing it's a combination of the N62, and the 6 speed overdrive.
I can guarantee right now you're not going to get anywhere close to that kind of mileage with a 4.4 M62+ 5spd.

#17 ·
Just about 105k. I bought it 9/2011 with 82k.

Thing is a freaking champ. I always feel better when I get inside.

I always felt a heated steering wheel is over the top unnecessary, but man it's awesome when it's cold outside. Even for just a short while to get it up to temp is great. Little things like that make a difference all told. I'm still finding little awesome features like that.

#18 ·
Well............

Going to pick it up tomorrow :D

#20 ·
:lmao:

:( for realz I may cover this wood instead of removing it like i did in the ///M

#21 ·
:lmao:

:( for realz I may cover this wood instead of removing it like i did in the ///M

#23 ·
So jealous. I would love to own one of those.

It may not be right, but if you dont mind me asking, could you PM me the price?

In the market for another car in a little and want to know what kind of deals are out there.

#24 ·
Congrats. Set aside some money to work on the transmission when it fails.

#28 ·
Transmission or transfer case? I've heard of all kinds of issues with the chain slackening on the tcase, but nothing with the transmission. Isn't it the same one as the 540/740 that's known for reliability?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#25 ·
Yeah I know :eek: This trans seems to be functioning perfectly for now :)

#26 ·
Congrats Alan! :clap:

#29 ·
You're right. It's the TC.

Also on the N62, the timing chain likes to wear down its own guide and grenade the entire engine.

#30 ·
Glad I have an M62tu then :)

So got it home and noticed a few things:

No washer fluid- prob needs new pump
Dead pixels in mid are worse than I thought - Not sure if I will diy or not
Brake light error message that was not present during test drive - shouldn't be too hard to figure out

Overall, I love this ride! Its very heavy and solid, it seems to be a very safe truck :D

#31 ·
The brake lights like to burn their own connections out. You can replace the housing, or just solder some of the connections a bit. Should be easy to spot.

Glad you like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.