BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

*SOLVED* Need Help!!: After coding, "Fuel System Malfunction"

11K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  oceandiver86 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks - I think I need your advice.

Car is a 2013 F30, 328i.

I changed the steering wheel from a base wheel (option 240) to m-tech wheel (option 710).

I coded the change from 240 to 710 in the VO. I then went to code the ECU's with the new VO by selecting the base SVT (selecting all ECU's) and clicked the "Code" button in E-Sys.

Engine was running.

It proceeded to cycle through the ECU's, coding them, no error messages. When it hit one of the ECU's the engine stopped - probably the DME. I left the engine off, ignition on, as it completed the rest of the cycle. It took about 7 minutes total for this step.

When it was all done I noticed the Check Engine light was on there were two faults showing in the CheckControl/iDrive:

(1) Drivetrain Malfunction
(2) Fuel System Malfunction

I disconnected E-Sys, turned the car completely off, doors locked, unlocked, and then restarted the car. No change, Check engine light on, 2 faults on the iDrive.

I connected E-Sys, opened Transmitter and sent a "Clear DTCs" and the CheckEngine
light went out. Two faults on iDrive and the warning triangle on the dash is still lit.

I disconnected the laptop and took the car for a 15 mile drive, mixed highway, city.

Car runs great, no noticable issue in running. Faults have not cleared though.

Auto Stop/Start is also not working - I assume this is because of the drivetrain fault condition.

So, did I break something during the ECU coding ? Will the car turn these faults off eventually when it calibrates ? What do you recommend I do next ?

Thanks !!!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
More info - I got Tool32 working with the F01.prg file and ran the FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL program. It didn't clear the faults either.

I noticed that I no longer have a CAFD entry in the DME ECU in the SVT section. I did have one before I VO coded all the ECU's. Is that a problem ?

I coded the DME with the engine running...

#5 ·
Do not attempt to code the DME with the car running. You have to use a commercial grade charger or use jumper leads with another car. You have corrupted the DME so do this to inject a new cafd:
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DME => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level displayed => Select OK => Right-Click on DME (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

#9 ·
I made the same mistake and corrupted my DME by accident. Just tried this, but I am getting a new error:
P2 timeout on Service RDBI_PING has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; ECU: DME_12_ETHERNET

#13 ·
Ok, or Jump it to another car with Running Motor, and then try it
I jumped it, and had no clue why it was giving me an "P2 timeout on Service RDBI_FTP " error. I then turned on the accessory ignition, then it successfully coded. All of the errors were wiped immidiately. Awesome instructions, thank you!!!
The idle was dead on 650rpm, but the sound was quite loud. It was cold, but it still seems a bit excessive and when taking it around the block it does not seem to have the same power it did a few days ago. I assume if there was a problem with output or kicking in the turbos, I would see a warning. So I assume all is well and im just feeling a plecbo effect.

#14 ·
I jumped it, and had no clue why it was giving me an "P2 timeout on Service RDBI_FTP " error. I then turned on the accessory ignition, then it successfully coded. All of the errors were wiped immidiately. Awesome instructions, thank you!!!...
:thumbup:

#6 ·
Thanks! I will try this today - fingers crossed.

I did a dry run just now in E-Sys while disconnected from the car - before this happened the CAFD file in the DME was:

CAFD_00000B0A_000_030_000

When I click "Detect CAF for SWE" two choices come up:

CAFD_00000B0A_000_030_000
CAFD_00000B0A_000_037_000

Should I choose the first one because it matches what was in the car originally or the second one because it is the latest ?

Thanks again !

#7 ·
thanks! I will try this today - fingers crossed.

I did a dry run just now in e-sys while disconnected from the car - before this happened the cafd file in the dme was:

Cafd_00000b0a_000_030_000

when i click "detect caf for swe" two choices come up:

Cafd_00000b0a_000_030_000
cafd_00000b0a_000_037_000

should i choose the first one because it matches what was in the car originally or the second one because it is the latest ?

Thanks again !
cafd_00000b0a_000_030_000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.