BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lgr122 
#1 ·
The end of this summer I need to have a car, and I was looking at a bunch of cars, I already ruled out trucks, jeeps, and pretty much everything but a BMW and a VW. I am not sure if I would be able to afford the BMW, but I am not sure what my budget is yet. I have several friends who are mechanics, therefore I am not worried about repair costs, for I will only have to pay for the parts. I was looking at a VW golf or a 3 series BWM. I know I have about 4 to 6 grand, It all depends on what I make this summer. I will have 2 jobs this summer making cash working under the table construction. Last year I worked 6 days and made about 480 dollars. All together I have 1000 dollars right now. I am just wondering if the 328i would be good, I want a 6 cyl and manual trans. I also don't like how the VW don't all have leather seats. Also I am not too worried about the money because my parents will pay for half of it and I just eventually have to pay them off sorta like a loan.
Thanks,
Aidan

#2 ·
You have just enough money to get yourself into trouble, and not nearly enough to get you out....there aren`t many things more dangerous than "a cheap BMW". Do yourself a favor, and buy a Civic....

#3 ·
Lots of questions.....

How many cars do you/will you have?

If more then one then go for the BMW!

If you will have only one the VW would be a good choice.

I'm not saying older BMWs are junky.....in your price range they may need some love.

I have a 2000 528iT and I love it!!
I paid at the very top of your price range and it's been a great car. 10,000 miles since March including a trip from Chicago-Phoenix.

My only "hiccup" was replacing the radiator (thank god after the road trip!)
I was prepared for the task.

My advise?
Read, read, read!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
I thought the VW would be more realistic, it's just not nearly as nice. My mom has a honda pilot 2007 which is alright and my dad has a standard trans Saab 9-5 and that's pretty sweet because if the turbo so and we also have a 2012 Subaru forester that we use sometimes, it's my grandparent's car but they live in England so I could use that but I think they are getting rid of it. I will plan on getting a VW unless I am able to strike a deal with my grandparents who are pretty damn rich, but for now I am just going to stick with the VW I just need to find one with leathers seats.

#5 ·
You will need solid monthly income to take care of BMW properly.
These tend to need something all the time.
Ofcourse some bad luck might happen with other brands also, but atleast your parents don't have to pay so much all the time so that they would begin hating your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.