BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  yeoco 
#1 ·
Five weeks ago, I brought my (2011 X5 35i premium) 42 month old X5 with 32K miles in for a rattle noise I was hearing at slow accelerations. I thought it was a loose belt or tensioner, etc. After checking it out, the dealer said it was nothing routine and they were :bawling:involving BMW engineering. They had them replace the flex plate…still the noise. Then they said they were going to replace the torque converter….still no change. Then they were going to drop the oil pan and check for any play in some rod…no change. Finally, BMW said they were just going to replace the entire transmission. This was done…still no change !!!! UGHHHH!!! Now they are telling me they might replace the entire engine too!! I would like some advice on what your opinions are in regard to all this work and what I should expect from BMW. My car was like new and never had any prior problems at all. I am worried all this tinkering will lead to more trouble down the road and a devalued car. Who will want to buy it knowing all this work was done to it. HELP!!

#2 ·
You would seem to be getting a brand new drive train. I would be ecstatic!

QUOTE=yeoco;8407220]Five weeks ago, I brought my (2011 X5 35i premium) 42 month old X5 with 32K miles in for a rattle noise I was hearing at slow accelerations. I thought it was a loose belt or tensioner, etc. After checking it out, the dealer said it was nothing routine and they were :bawling:involving BMW engineering. They had them replace the flex plate…still the noise. Then they said they were going to replace the torque converter….still no change. Then they were going to drop the oil pan and check for any play in some rod…no change. Finally, BMW said they were just going to replace the entire transmission. This was done…still no change !!!! UGHHHH!!! Now they are telling me they might replace the entire engine too!! I would like some advice on what your opinions are in regard to all this work and what I should expect from BMW. My car was like new and never had any prior problems at all. I am worried all this tinkering will lead to more trouble down the road and a devalued car. Who will want to buy it knowing all this work was done to it. HELP!![/QUOTE]

#3 ·
So this is a tough question to answer... OP you are clearly only engaging the repair process at a very superficial level: noises reported, changing parts, new trasnsmission, 'whole new motor'... this is OK, most owners just want a car to drive and dont want to be mechanics! But then they must implicitly trust what the dealer (and BMW) is doing. It is probably far too late in the process for you to change the trajectory of your relationship, your involvement or their approach.

So I'd just let them finish the job. You will have a 2 year warranty on any of the parts that are replaced too.

If they are truly replacing those items, and they are a good BMW shop, Id have limited concerns. In fact it is when they open those up and muck about with partial repairs that I get nervous.

Finally, you are lucky- what if they had stonewalled you with "operates normally at this time" and "cannot replicate complaint" until the warranty expired?????

#4 ·
I am not complaining that they are trying to fix the problem....my problem is that you are essentially replacing the guts of the car and keeping the shell. I would think this would limit the resale of this vehicle. Who would buy a vehicle that had all this work done to it...similar to a "salvage" vehicle. Replacing a transmission and engine at a repair shop is not the same as putting it together at the factory. If I knew it would all be good, I would be ok with it since I really don't want to get rid of a car that is "like-new" to me. I am concerned what may happen down the road. After all, it took 3 1/2 years for this problem to surface.

#6 ·
I understand your concern...but there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.

#5 ·
^^ This is a good point. In reality, it could actually be a good thing, but if I were looking to buy a used BMW and saw that all of that stuff was replaced, I would stay away. It will hurt resale even if that defies logic.

#7 ·
I'd love to get an entire new engine & tranny myself - it would be nice to get a newer revised engine & tranny that will outlast the first engine & tranny.
It's sort of like a new lease on life...
Like ard said, not much you can do about since it is under warranty.

#8 ·
That's why there is a warranty. In the old days of 1 year 12k mile warranties, you would be trading it in with mechanical issues or paying to fix it. Don't loose sleep over it. Life is good.

#10 ·
I would try calling BMW North America and speack to custermer relationtions and ask for a manager. Tell them about the noise and how the dealer cant fiqure it out and are just replaceing parts. Tell them you dont think the car is safe and you can ask them to buy it back or do a trade assist for another vehicle.

2014 BMW X5 35D Msport
2008 BMW 335I Sport

#11 ·
This is what a did with my 2012 BMW X5 35D that would shut off randamly and BMW NA bought the car back from me the amount I paied for it. My X5 only had 32,000 miles and was in the shop for them to try to find the problem but they couldnt.

2014 BMW X5 35D Msport
2008 BMW 335I Sport

#12 · (Edited)
Further to MBWXX55's post, if you intend to contact BMW NA via the numbers/methods noted in your warranty manual you must be prepared with your objective (replacement, buyback, etc). First order of business is to be able to document the very first time the problem occurred, as this firmly sets the date/mileage that would be used to calculate your compensation in the event of a buyback.

I just completed this process with BMW NA (and with some very helpful tips from members here). If your vehicle has met the requirement for consideration of a buyback you'll likely be offered the sum representing their legal responsibility, not the price you paid for your X5. With BMW NA you're not dealing with sales anymore, so there really is no negotiating or time spent on keeping you happy at that point. Miles driven will be deducted per your state's law, but it's still a loss on your behalf as you'll be short that amount when it's time to buy your replacement. At 32k miles it's unlikely they'll consider an assisted trade IMO.

As has been noted there is some merit to approaching this by looking at it as you having an all-new drivetrain that will carry its own warranty. That is, of course, if they do fix the issue at hand. Keep a detailed history in case of recurrence and loss-of-use since even after you're out of warranty you can still initiate the process because the issue began well within the warranty period.

#13 ·
^^ Wise words.

MBWXX55's experience leaves out WAY too much detail for anyone to think "I just need to call and complain". Unless there is a dealer who is leaning on BMW in a major way, most owners need to press the case as sddjd described.

I just completed this process with BMW NA...
They sure make it a grind, eh?

#14 ·
Hey, thanks for all the replies. FYI, this is not the dealer just replacing the parts...they have been in contact with BMW directly and have had their engineers come down twice, from what I am told. Driving an X3 in the meantime but I miss the X5 since we are going on 7 weeks at this point. I have been going through the dealer who is working with BMW NA for a solution for me. Whether it be extended warranty or buyback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.