BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2009 VW Passat CC vs '09 BMW 328i Coupe

64K views 58 replies 42 participants last post by  jeanlucdckhard 
#1 ·
Today I went to the local VW dealership to inform him that I was not going to go with the VW CC, but with a BMW 328i coupe. This is what he told me, "Sir, you made a grave mistake....The VW comes with more options, more torque and better quality". :mad:

They are both priced basically the same. I am wondering what is your take on this.

Do you think I made a grave mistake by going with the BMW or did I make a good choice? Why?

#2 ·
"grave mistake" and "BMW" in the same sentence is a grave mistake!!!!

#5 ·
passat : "The more powerful engine is a 3.6-liter gasoline V6 FSI, offering 300 horsepower at 6600 rpm and 266 pound-feet of torque at 2500 rpm. The sprint to 62 mph takes 6.6 seconds."

328i: "EngineLiter/type/valves per cylinder 3.0/inline 6/4 Bore/Stroke 3.35/3.46 inchNominal output hp/rpm 230/6500 Max. torque lb-ft/rpm 200/2750 - Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.8 sec"

passat has a bit more torque and more HP - 0-60 are similar.

i'd rather be seen and driving a bimmer than a VW. your call!!!!

#10 ·
passat : "The more powerful engine is a 3.6-liter gasoline V6 FSI, offering 300 horsepower at 6600 rpm and 266 pound-feet of torque at 2500 rpm. The sprint to 62 mph takes 6.6 seconds."

328i: "EngineLiter/type/valves per cylinder 3.0/inline 6/4 Bore/Stroke 3.35/3.46 inchNominal output hp/rpm 230/6500 Max. torque lb-ft/rpm 200/2750 - Acceleration 0-60 mph 6.8 sec"

passat has a bit more torque and more HP - 0-60 are similar.

i'd rather be seen and driving a bimmer than a VW. your call!!!!
Having been the owner of a 3.6L FWD passat, I can say that the 328i is a better car period.

The only way the passat will outperform the 328 is in say a street start. The passat suffers from FWD wheelspin/traction control problems, so it takes a special technique to launch, and even then it doesnt guarantee a good launch. In a street start, though, it is the equal of a 280hp G35. Edmunds talks about the launch problems:

"Keep your foot in it and the VW will hit 60 mph from a stop in 6.8 seconds and cross the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 98 mph. Faster than the 2.0T by a full second in either category, but still a few ticks slower to 60 mph than the Camry. With better traction up front the Passat would be even faster, since easing up on the gas to control wheelspin usually results in a momentum-killing upshift."

The key is a 14.3 sec 98 mph quarter mile, something a 328 just cannot do, even with a manual. Some mags like motor trend have reported 6.2 sec 0-60mph for the passat, they probably tried a number of different launch tenchiques and reported the best number. the reality is that a 1/4 mile ET/speed is a much better indicator of a cars real world acceleration, and the passat will beat a 328 there. But really, if all you wanted to do was go fast in a straight line, get a mustang GT and save some bucks. Or get a legacy GT, it will also burn the 328i in a straight line(5.1 sec 0-60). If you like driving a fine car, an instrument of fine handling and balanced responses, the BMW is just so much better than a passat its a joke. No, you didnt make a mistake, the passat resale is pshut, much less than the Bimmer and its handling is far short of a BMW.

#6 ·
My friend has a '06 passot and I have an '08 328 and the ride feels almost identical. The only difference is that the BMW had run-flats so you feel the road a bit more (I kinda like it that way). As for the exterior and interier, its up to your preference in this area. I like bimmer's setup but that's a given since I bought it.

In my opinion the VW sales guy made a "grave mistake" telling you that because that would absolutely piss me off if someone told me that. If it was me and I decide to go VW, I'll go with another sales person instead of that guy.

#11 ·
The big problem that I had with the VW was that they did not have a CC available for me to test drive or even look at in person. I havent seen any driving around in Italy either. I was given the opportunity to test drive a 328i coupe and fell in love with the general feel of the vehicle as well as the steering. When bumping up the two vehicles on different sites, the options seem to match as well as the price (VW CC Luxury and 328i coupe).

#8 · (Edited)
I went from a Passat (not CC, just regular) V6 to the 2009 335i E90.

From a spec and price point of view, he is more right than wrong. The CC has lots of standard features, and in my experience VW builds a pretty solid and ergonomic car (especially when assembled in Germany). My passat has 210,000 miles on it and still going strong. The passat is much bigger as well and the pricing is really good.

Still, there are other factors. The 335i has better handling, the twin-turbo is super sweet, and the car is much tighter all around (= less usable space than the Passat). The styling on both the 335i and the CC are nice but different -- I prefer the E90 there.

The 328i has lots in common with the 335i, but it is a bit under-spec'ed compared to the CC. I would take the 335i any time. If the 328i is a 6MT+sport, then yeah, I'd take that over the CC for the sheer driving exhilaration. But for a family car (hauling 4 people), the CC is a better value and practical proposition.

#14 · (Edited)
Today I went to the local VW dealership to inform him that I was not going to go with the VW CC, but with a BMW 328i coupe. This is what he told me, "Sir, you made a grave mistake....The VW comes with more options, more torque and better quality". :mad:
I think Passat CC is a FWD car while 3 coupe is a RWD. You were considering a sporty 3 coupe and a luxury coupe like 4 door sedan, so I would imagine your priorities are not sportiness and handling. In that case, may be it is a mistake (may be not 'grave mistake' as 3 coupe is a fine car) because CC is a new model and 3 coupe has been around for a while.

But the reliability part may not be true. VW has more reliability problems than other german car makers or so I hear.

#15 ·
I had a 95 Jetta, glx vr6 which i sold a year ago and used the money to get a 96 Z3 about two weeks ago which was a great deal due to the wonderful state the economy is in right now. Bottom line--- i dont know much about passats, but that jetta was probably the most kick ass car ive ever had, i love my beemer and granted you are going to get some pretty bias responses posting on a "beemer"fest.com, but dont underestimate V-dub, that 2.8 in the light spry jetta hauled major ass, and i didnt even do anything to it other than exhaust. to answer ur question passats are kinda lame, jettas are great but they dont look as cool as they used to back when they were boxy, fact is u got a 2.8 liter and that is great, hopefully u got a stick, cause if it is an automatic then none of this matters anyway, cause then ur just another sedan and it doesnt matter what kind of car u have.

#16 ·
A few years ago I wanted to get my first BMW but ended up at a VW dealership because I didn't think I could afford a 3 sersies BMW well I ended up buying a 2002 Passat. At that time it was a nice looking car and I did keep it until I decided in 2004 that I wanted my BMW so I traded the Passat for a 2004 325ci. Guess what! I wished I had never bought that Passat. First off I was so upside down when I traded it in for the BMW and not only that I could not believe how much BETTER the BMW handled and felt way more solid than the Passat. I will never own a VW again after owning a BMW.

#30 ·
He is a salesman. He will say whatever is necessary to get a sale period.

#18 ·
Worst European Car Made

Used to have a VW Passat in the family and it was flat out the most unreliable poorly built car we've ever owned - basically a piece of junk. VW has been able to employ some nice exterior and interior designs in their newer vehicles but they are still a long, long way off from meriting a comparison to BMW.
AJ

#19 · (Edited)
local VW dealer is leasing fairly well equipped Passat CCs for $379 per month, 36 month leases, zero down (other than first month's payment, acq fee etc) 15,000 miles per year

Can't lease a 328 for those kind of numbers, unless you get an absolute stripper and do a Euro Delivery

Cars are different, if you want a little more luxury, a little less sport and MUCH MORE interior room, get the Passat. The difference in interior volume, trunk space and rear seat legroom is huge advantage the Passat has over the 3 series. The 3 is still a joke space wise, its pretty tight.

BUT, the BMW is sporty and handles better, no doubt there.

So what do you prefer, smaller, sporty, better handling and more expensive (BMW) or larger, more of a sport/luxo car and less money (Passat)

VW now offers 3/36 maintenance which is nice

Why are you trying to compare a midsize sedan with good room to a sporty coupe with a much smaller backseat?

Apples to Oranges....no one is cross shopping these.

#20 ·
VW now offers 3/36 maintenance which is nice.
Yeah, and they did it by cutting the warranty from 4 years/50K miles to 3/36. That means your 15K mile/year leased Passat CC will be out of warranty during the last 9K miles of the lease. Also, the really expensive service on VWs is at 40K miles, so you're not avoiding that anyway.

#25 ·
I have long standing respect for VW (had a B5 Passat for nearly 10 years - flawless... and have no plans on bailing our Touareg anytime soon). I seriously looked at a MkV GLI DSG as well as a B6 Passat 4motion (no dsg = Fail), but in both cases ultimately they reminded me just how far into another league BMW is. Once you taste it there's no compromise... it's a matter really good cars vs great cars.

VW has a lot going for it. Their engines are peaches, V(r)6 or 2.0t, each with their own character... so a wash here. I've had no complaints with regards to build quality. VW continues to improve on this, too... these MkV and B6 cars are noticeably better-built than my not-very-old Touareg. Its interiors are second to none at their price-point (both the GLI and the Passat with sport-pack seats are a close challenge for BMW's sport packs) so a it's a wash here. For each size segment, VW packs far more interior room into their cars, advantage VW... though there is a significant tradeoff to do this.

And that tradeoff is here... The biggest differences come down to handling fundamentals (VW's relatively heavy, FWD-based platforms vs BMW's obsessively balanced chassis) and ride quality. I continue to be in awe at BMW's prowess in balancing at-the-limits handling with around-town ride. Outside the T'reg's adaptive air suspension, the current VW's either ride like whales in a tub of oil (non-sport), or like they've got cinder blocks for dampers. Too bad VW doesn't offer the Audi TT's magnetic-adjustable damping system... advantage BMW.

Lastly ***8211; most importantly, for me anyway ***8211; nothing handles like a BMW.

#54 · (Edited)
I have long standing respect for VW (had a B5 Passat for nearly 10 years - flawless... and have no plans on bailing our Touareg anytime soon). I seriously looked at a MkV GLI DSG as well as a B6 Passat 4motion (no dsg = Fail), but in both cases ultimately they reminded me just how far into another league BMW is. Once you taste it there's no compromise... it's a matter really good cars vs great cars.

VW has a lot going for it. Their engines are peaches, V(r)6 or 2.0t, each with their own character... so a wash here. I've had no complaints with regards to build quality. VW continues to improve on this, too... these MkV and B6 cars are noticeably better-built than my not-very-old Touareg. Its interiors are second to none at their price-point (both the GLI and the Passat with sport-pack seats are a close challenge for BMW's sport packs) so a it's a wash here. For each size segment, VW packs far more interior room into their cars, advantage VW... though there is a significant tradeoff to do this.

And that tradeoff is here... The biggest differences come down to handling fundamentals (VW's relatively heavy, FWD-based platforms vs BMW's obsessively balanced chassis) and ride quality. I continue to be in awe at BMW's prowess in balancing at-the-limits handling with around-town ride. Outside the T'reg's adaptive air suspension, the current VW's either ride like whales in a tub of oil (non-sport), or like they've got cinder blocks for dampers. Too bad VW doesn't offer the Audi TT's magnetic-adjustable damping system... advantage BMW.

Lastly ***8211; most importantly, for me anyway ***8211; nothing handles like a BMW.
It depends on whidh BMW you are driving around town and which town you are driving around in.

A 335i with sport package and RFTs borders on being undriveable in New York City. I chose a BMW over a VW and would do so again - actually to be perfectly honest at this point I would probably choose neither. There are a lot of things I like about my BMW but the ride quality "around town" is certainly not one of them.

CA

#55 · (Edited)
I can understand why some people (including myself) would prefer a BMW to a VW but as far as build quality goes they are in the same league.

Here is a list of the top 100 reliable cars of the last decade. Come to your own conclusions.

AUTOMOTIVE
The 100 most reliable cars of the last decade (in order)

The 10 most reliable cars according to Warranty Direct:
1 - Honda Accord - A classy package, well put together and feels more special than the average family car. Superb engines and value for money. 2 - Subaru Forester - Not quite an off roader, much more than an estate with a sporty edge, making it the perfect combination. Great all round buy. 3 - Mazda MX-5 - Blueprint for the modern roadster with sweet handling and engines to match. Extremely easy to live with. 4 - Mitsubishi Carisma - Despite the name, not that interesting to look at or drive, but that's not the point. Here is a no-nonsense hatchback that won't let you down. 5 - Toyota Yaris - Superminis don't come better. Bags of room and perky engines. Probably the best small car buy. 6 - Honda Civic - Solid build quality and good engines are just part of the appeal, the Civic is one of the most spacious small cars around. Great value. 7 - Nissan Almera - A dull package, but that's no reason to dismiss the Almera which is practical and perfect for the smaller family who need a big boot and utter reliability. 8 - Honda CR-V - Proof that you don't need an XXXL 4x4. Here is a four-wheel drive estate that is flexible, easy to drive and own. 9 - Toyota RAV4 - So few four-wheel drives are fun to drive. This car is suitably sporty, but very practical. Expensive used buy but worth it. 10 - Nissan Micra - The driving school favourite. Tough, fairly roomy, but with its light controls is easy to steer around town.
The Warranty Direct Top 100 Most Reliable Used Cars Of The Past Decade

• 1 Honda Accord 2 Subaru Forester 3 Mazda MX-5 4 Mitsubishi Carisma 5 Toyota Yaris 6 Honda Civic 7 Nissan Almera 8 Honda CR-V 9 Toyota RAV4 10 Nissan Micra 11 Lexus IS 200 12 Mazda 626 13 Jaguar X-Type 14 Toyota Landcruiser 15 Volvo S/V40 16 MINI (BMW) 17 Suzuki Vitara 18 Mazda 323 19 Toyota Carina E 20 Saab 9-5 21 Lexus LS400 22 Ford Ka 23 Rover 45 24 Hyundai Lantra 25 Mercedes SLK 26 Citroen Xsara 27 Ford Cougar 28 Subaru Impreza 29 Skoda Octavia 30 Audi A4 31 Nissan Primera 32 Toyota Avensis 33 Volvo 850 34 Vauxhall Corsa 35 Seat Toledo 36 Volkswagen Golf 37 Daewoo Lanos 38 Fiat Brava 39 Hyundai Coupe 40 Mitsubishi Shogun 41 Rover 25 42 Mercedes CLK 43 Fiat Marea 44 Ford Focus 45 Peugeot 106 46 MG MG TF 47 BMW Z3 48 Hyundai Accent 49 Volkswagen Polo 50 Fiat Punto 51 Vauxhall Zafira 52 Mercedes C-class 53 Volvo S60 54 Toyota MR2 55 Mazda Xedos 6 56 Ford Puma 57 Vauxhall Astra 58 Vauxhall Omega 59 Chrysler Neon 60 Audi A2 61 Ford Fiesta 62 Ford Mondeo 63 Vauxhall Corsa 64 Citroen Saxo 65 BMW 3 Series 66 Vauxhall Vectra 67 Isuzu Trooper 68 Mercedes M-Class 69 Subaru Legacy 70 Rover 400 71 Fiat Ulysse 72 Mercedes E-Class 73 Renault Clio 74 Toyota Celica 75 Peugeot 306 76 Peugeot 406 77 Volvo S70 78 Rover 75 79 Daewoo Matiz 80 Peugeot 206 81 Mazda MX-3 82 Vauxhall Tigra 83 Seat Ibiza 84 Peugeot 106 85 Renault Megane 86 Peugeot 406 87 Saab 9-3 88 Audi A3 89 BMW X5 90 Mercedes S-class 91 Toyota Corolla 92 Seat Alhambra 93 BMW 5-series 94 Daewoo Nubira 95 Alfa Romeo 145 96 Saab 900 97 Mazda MX-6 98 Jaguar S-Type 99 Daewoo Leganza 100 Porsche Boxster
CA

#33 ·
I didn't create this thread because I was aggravated. I have owned nothing but used vehicles (all American made). This is going to be my first foreign vehicle as well as my first new vehicle. I was looking for feedback to see if I made a bad decision, prior to me receiving the BMW. My BMW is supposed to get here the week of the 24th of November and I cannot wait! I really cannot believe that I am actually going to own a Bimmer (the best car my family had while I was growing up was a Ford Bronco)! :bigpimp:

#35 ·
I relate completely I have been a VW owner all my life and the CC did absolutely nothing for me when I test drove it. It really did not seems a marked improvement over previous cars, and the 4 seats standard kind of bothered me. So I test drove a used 05 545i and bought it that same day. No comparison at all. Good luck with the 3 series.

PS I have the same issue where I will stop and stare. Can't beleive I own a Bimmer......

#37 ·
I actually work at a veedub dealership and while the VW's are certainly better than their Japanese counterparts, there's no comparison to BMW. I used to preach how our cars were oh so close to BMW without ever having driven one, but one drive killed those notions completely. The CC is a hot car, but I'll take my bimmer every day of the week and twice on Sunday...
Oh, and the 3/36K with maintenance included pretty much just takes care of oil changes...pretty frustrating and nowhere near as comprehensive as the BMW's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.